White Scars LC/SS Vanguard

L30n1d4s

I think one of the most competitive builds for all space marine armies, but especially for White Scar Successors, will be something like the following:

WS Successor Traits:

-Hungry for Battle (+1 to charges)

-Born Heroes (+1 to Hit in melee after charging)

-10 Vanguard Vets, all with Storm Shield/Lightning Claw load out

-5 Company Vets with 5 x Storm Shielf/Combi-Flamers load out

-Chief Librarian with “Ride the Winds” and “Storm-Wreathed” powers, +1 to cast WL Trait

-Ancient with “Banner of the Eagle” Relic

-Chapter Champion, re-roll failed charges WL trait, “Burning Blade” relic

-Apothecary

-2 x Drop Pods

Starting as early as turn 1, you can bring in both Drop Pods, clear away chaff/screens with the Company Vets shooting, use the Strat to make the Vanguard in the Assault Doctrine, cast “Ride the Winds” on the Vanguard (WC6, effectively WC5 with the Chief Librarian’s WL Trait), and then make a 6” charge (thanks to the Hungry for Battle trait and Ride the Winds power) that is re-rollable (thanks to the Chapter Champion’s WL Trait) and is taken on 3D6, remove the lowest D6 (thanks to the “Fierce Rivalries” Strat).

If successful (which is very likely, given all the buffs above), the Vanguard then charge with 41 x S5 AP-3 Dmg2 attacks, all of which hit on a 2+ (from their Born Heroes trait) and re-roll to wound (thanks to Lightning Claws).

Statistically, this should get you 34-35 hits and, depending on the target, 25 dead Power Armor Marines, 10-11 dead Gravis Marines, 10-11 dead TDA Marines, 30-31 dead Ork Boyz, 2 dead T7/T8 3+ save equivalent vehicles (i.e. Rhinos, Leman Russes, Fire Prisms, Hammerheads, Repulsors, etc.), or 28-29 unsaved wounds on an Imperial Knight.

Even better, if the enemy does survive to strike back (or shoot back), then you have 20 x T4 Wounds, all protected by a 2+/4++, a 6+++ FNP (from the Apothecary), and the ability to both heal a wounded Vanguard Veteran up to full wounds and revive a dead Vanguard Veteran the next turn (again, from the Apothecary).

Future turns, rinse and repeat with this battle group into the enemy lines (i.e. shoot to clear a path with the Company Veterans, charge with the Vanguard and the Champion, support with the Librarian, Ancient, and Apothecary).

I think you are being a bit too deterministic about your plan.  It doesn't seem like you give much scope for counterplay from your opponent or consideration to primary/secondary objectives. 

For example, if you are up against Slaanesh daemons your 5 combi flamers aren't going to clear out more than 15 daemonettes which is a problem since you typically see blobs of 30 in Slaanesh daemon lists.  If you run into nurgle daemons you wont land anywhere near your desired targets due to nurglings zoning you out before the game starts. 

I think it would be better to just jam those pods full of bare bones tacticals and have them land on objectives in the midfield.  You wont kill anything but you still start scoring primary which is mostly what 9th edition is about.  The pods might also help you score linebreaker or teleport homer should you go second.