helwinters gate: new space wolf novel announced

Triszin

I’m interested in this limited edition, but as someone who has never partaken in the release day madness, can someone give advice on how the best way to get one would be? Like what site, what time, should I have payment method and stuff set up beforehand?

Suppose I’ll have to sacrifice a cat or something the day before too...

Be online and logged into the GW site at least 15 minutes before the hour, make sure you've entered all your payment details beforehand. Go to the Black Library section. Select "Pre-Orders". Hit refresh repeatedly; it's usually up about 5 minutes early. Hit the pre-order button and then straight to Checkout.

There it is, lads:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Shjjvw7z2C0vUwtT.jpg

This mega edition comes with a luxurious hardback copy of the book signed by the author, a bookmark, dice, dice bag, pin badge, coaster, and the 32-page Hrani’s Saga book. It’s an incredible package and is strictly limited to just 1,500 copies, so make sure you act fast if you want to get your hands on one.

I’m interested in this limited edition, but as someone who has never partaken in the release day madness, can someone give advice on how the best way to get one would be? Like what site, what time, should I have payment method and stuff set up beforehand?

Suppose I’ll have to sacrifice a cat or something the day before too...

To add on to what others have said the time books are released for sale is somewhat variable depending on region. If you’re in the US/Canada it’s 1PM eastern/10AM pacific on Saturday.

I hope the first two books get reprinted as part of the general release of this. I haven't touched Blood of Asaheim in like 7.5 years at this point. Crazy

With BL's recent announcement of new editions of the DI and Pariah books alongside new releases in those series this might be a possibility. I would expect it with the regular HB edition though.

Could it be related to some sort of legacy of: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Aun_Helwintr

Not impossible but it's a broadly used term. Russ's frost axe was called the Helwinter axe and ultimately both that and the rune priest were named for the extreme winter on Fenris. Given that the book seems to be about Jarhamar pack fleeing the rest of the chapter, my suspicion is that it'll at least in part be a symbolic or metaphorical thing.

There a price on this thing yet?

Pricing is regional and won’t be known for sure until the book’s listed for sale. In the US the last two ‘mega editions’ went for $150 and $140 not including tax so I’d expect something similar to that. If you’re in the UK the prices are lower, whereas they’re higher if you live in Australia/New Zealand. I’m unsure about the non-English speaking world.

WHC article up with breakdown of contents: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/12/09/the-helwinter-gate-peek-inside-the-novels-mega-edition-boxed-set/

There is no way I'm paying the ludicrous price this will go for but damnit I would like that Hrani's Saga book. Saga-style text by Wraight with commentary by imperial scholars attempting to decipher the Fenrisian references, all with early 20th c. woodcut-printing illustrations? Damn.

7qeIyWTzxaUQP5zR.jpg

WHC article up with breakdown of contents: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/12/09/the-helwinter-gate-peek-inside-the-novels-mega-edition-boxed-set/

There is no way I'm paying the ludicrous price this will go for but damnit I would like that Hrani's Saga book. Saga-style text by Wraight with commentary by imperial scholars attempting to decipher the Fenrisian references, all with early 20th c. woodcut-printing illustrations? Damn.

7qeIyWTzxaUQP5zR.jpg

I wondered what that was. I was thinking along the lines of a comic, but this is oh so much better.

Space Wolf book, with a wolf cover, a wolf bookmark, a wolf pin, a wolf coaster, wolf dice inside a wolf dice bag.

Wolf.

That's the annoying thing, you have all this tedious Thinkgeek-style cruft and then you have one unique illustrated publication doing something interesting stylistically and aesthetically just... lumped in with them and going for €100 or more. 

Hranis saga looks even better than the actual book.

But I won't pay that prize for "standard" merch, a novel and that one.

I was hoping for the white trilogy or such. Expectations were high but nope, gonna skip that one most likely.

Thought the same - the actual book and Hrani's saga are the interesting things. The rest is just stuff that will end up in some drawer in my desk somewhere, never to be used. I never cared much about those gimmicky things. I'd much rather spend some money on a lavishly crafted book like the SoT books and the like. Although I never got one of those. At least I managed to get the limited Ragnar, Valdor and Luther releases - all nice books which were also signed. But their price was also quite manageable with round about 40 Euro.

From the New Zealand Pre-Order page:

‘Isolated.

Alone.

Járnhamar Pack are forced to flee from the judgement of their own Chapter aboard a stolen voidship, amid an Imperium descending into total war. Still pursuing vengeances for old wrongs, these Space Wolves hunt the ruins of worlds in search of an enemy who remains stubbornly hidden. Yet as the perilous journey unfolds, the Pack learn their nemesis is not the only threat to their survival. They must also contend with the uncertain path chartered by one of their own, whose strange and unsanctioned powers continue to grow.

Their ultimate goal of a return to Fenris – with their honour restored and oaths re-sworn – becomes steadily more elusive. As the Imperium’s borders crumble and the long-prophecised onslaught of the Archenemy begins, Járnhamar Pack must race to uncover the truth of an ancient betrayal and halt its horror from coming to pass. Lest everything they have ever fought for be destroyed in the coming storm.’

Track of words also has an interview up: https://www.trackofwords.com/2020/12/11/rapid-fire-chris-wraight-talks-the-helwinter-gate/

It’s pretty light on plot details but Wraight says he went back to the style he was using when he wrote tithe first two books. Personally I love his more recent, less action-centric works a little more, but his prose is of quality either way.

With Chris now concluding his Space Wolves trilogy, most likely concluding his White Scars body of work next during the Siege (though don't count out some kind of Scouring book), and then possibly concluding both of his Terra series, all within the next 1-2 years, I will be crowning him King of Black Library at long last

With Chris now concluding his Space Wolves trilogy, most likely concluding his White Scars body of work next during the Siege (though don't count out some kind of Scouring book), and then possibly concluding both of his Terra series, all within the next 1-2 years, I will be crowning him King of Black Library at long last

I’m hoping the terra series are not going to be concluded any time soon. Particularly the Crowl books. There’s no reason these couldn’t run on and on.