Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anti-Infantry Melee in 9th

Blood Angels tactica Blood Angels resources topic

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Thoridon

Thoridon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 594 posts

With this set of numbers I wanted to compare our anti-infantry melee units in 9th. Units like assault marines, close combat scouts and assault intercessors lack the weapon choices to be hard hitters and are more suited to focusing on enemy infantry. As a direct comparison to them I included some elite units with the cheaper anti-infantry weapons, not including the multi-damage options here. For the points efficiency I had them all on foot, though some of the included units have the option to be run with jump packs.

DC CS = Death Company with Chainsword (originals)

Assault DC = Primaris Death Company with chainsword/pistol loadout.

Here's how they look:

1rCcgZS.png

As noted in another topic, VV with a pair of lightning claws seem the standout anti-infantry melee option. They give up a pistol for that but the damage output across all unit types is still really good along with being the best against 'chaff'.

Interestingly DC with a chainsword, VV with dual chainswords and both assault intercessor variants are all fairly close together in terms of both output and efficiency. They all have a similar number of total attacks with the same chainswords and no major abilities that skew things.

For me, the basic assault marines and scouts are not worth running. Only having 1 base attack is a real limiting factor, and in the case of scouts they lack AP, the extra wound and take up an elite slot. I don't think either are worth it as a melee unit at all.

The new assault intercessors (and Primaris DC with that loadout) are actually slightly less points efficient in melee than VV with dual chainswords but they do bring that 18" -1 AP pistol to the table.

Honestly, if this stays the same I'll be building some dual lightning claw Vanguard Vets. Add a jump pack and they're still vastly more points efficient than the rest while gaining the mobility, plus they have that massive advantage if they run into anything tougher than a guardsman.

If I'm looking to run a unit on foot it'll depend on how I want to use them. The nice thing with the rest is it doesn't matter a whole lot which unit you take (aside from basic assault marines and scouts). If you want to utilise Rhinos/Razorbacks you have the original DC or Vanguard Vets close together, and if you want to use an Impulsor both the new Primaris units are about the same efficiency too - one just slightly more expensive than the other. Stratagems could affect the choice too if there's a combo you really like.

Edited by Jolemai, 14 October 2020 - 08:53 PM.
Tags

• Midnightmare, SnorriSnorrison, N1SB and 7 others like this

My Blood Angels (Topic): Link
My Imperial Guard (Topic): Link

yIgPssd.jpgsml_gallery_64798_13809_5652.jpggallery_48988_15465_9161.png

Brother Cruoris

Brother Cruoris

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 111 posts
Nice presentation. =)
To keep in mind, assault intercessor can use the fight again strat. So if enough survive they could supersede the VV with 2x claws in dmg output and points efficiency.

Brother Cruoris

Brother Cruoris

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 111 posts
After seeing your comparisons i think i have to break of some arms on my VV and make a squad with lightning claws. =)
Is lightning claw and SS still an option?

Midnightmare

Midnightmare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,973 posts
Always fancied building a full unit with lightening claws!
bl-logo.jpggallery_45765_12339_50558.png
“We are returned”
Black Legion WIP
Flesh Eaters WIP
Tutorial:Glowing Eyes/Power Weapons
Index Astartes:Flesh Eaters

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,211 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

did you include attack twice for assault intercessors?

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,675 posts

Too much effort to go back and add this in (especially since I seem to be the only person so bullish on them), but how do Incursors fit into the above? Even just a napkin math comparison would be appreciated. 

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,211 posts

Too much effort to go back and add this in (especially since I seem to be the only person so bullish on them), but how do Incursors fit into the above? Even just a napkin math comparison would be appreciated. 

In theory, between Assault Intercessors and Knife Scouts. They have the AP-1 like AI, but only 3 attacks (on the charge) like the scouts.

If the AI use the attack twice strat, it looks like it brings them up to better than VV for anything T4 3+ and no Inv or worse. Which is good - means they'll be a decent bully unit.

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,593 posts

If the AI use the attack twice strat, it looks like it brings them up to better than VV for anything T4 3+ and no Inv or worse. Which is good - means they'll be a decent bully unit.

Indeed but then you are expending CPs which are a different resource to points but a resource all the same. If building LC VanVets, I would be tempted to chuck 1-2 Storm Shields on the squad as the boost to 2+/4++ now gives boosted protection against both heavy weapons and small arms fire.
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,211 posts

Indeed but then you are expending CPs which are a different resource to points but a resource all the same. If building LC VanVets, I would be tempted to chuck 1-2 Storm Shields on the squad as the boost to 2+/4++ now gives boosted protection against both heavy weapons and small arms fire.

true but its worth keeping in mind, and marine lists seem to generally have more CP these days. Plus they're troops so fill the tax and also have ObjSec

• Karhedron likes this

Thoridon

Thoridon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 594 posts
Yeah, stratagems can change things :) Fighting again is one such that can have a good impact. I felt the only fair comparison was to calculate them all in the base situation without stratagems or buffs and then look into specific scenarios from there.

Similarly scouts aren’t the strongest unit but if you only have a handful of points left maybe a small squad of them could be useful for actions (though I’d probably go bolters over knives).
  • Silas7 likes this

Thoridon

Thoridon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 594 posts

After seeing your comparisons i think i have to break of some arms on my VV and make a squad with lightning claws. =)
Is lightning claw and SS still an option?

1 claw and SS is possible :) The numbers are between dual chainswords and dual claws. Not too bad if you’re looking for added resilience.

cretacianborn

cretacianborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 206 posts
  • Faction: Flesh Tearers

Do you think 5 VV with LC's would do well running them as Flesh Tearers? The +1 to wound and -1 AP on 6's chapter tactic seems like it might pair well with lightning claws profile.

gallery_45765_12339_531.pnggallery_45765_12339_7181.png

Instagram - cretacianborn

Twitter - cretacianborn

Flesh Tearers Spearhead Force - WIP

Thoridon

Thoridon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 594 posts
I think they’d be perfect for Flesh Tearers. You’re rolling a lot of dice with all the extra attacks so you have a good chance of a bunch of 6s. And claws will definitely tear flesh!
  • cretacianborn likes this

Thoridon

Thoridon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 594 posts

Sorry, missed this. An Incursor should have identical melee output to a regular Assault Marine (3 -1 AP paired blade attacks vs 3 -1 AP chainsword attacks). The Incursor will be slightly less points efficient from a purely melee perspective, but obviously brings more to the table in terms of ranged output, being a troop, mines and so on.

• Silas7 likes this

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,689 posts

Added to resources

• Silas7 and Majkhel like this

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpggallery_48988_15094_4929.pnggallery_62972_14467_2702.jpggallery_48988_15094_2403.pnggallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels | Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials | Delaque
1000 Scout list W:0 D:0 L:0
1250 Death Company List (jump) W:0 D:0 L:0
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:2 Dreadnought List W:2 D:0 L:1
1750 Hybrid List W:0 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:1 Two Towers List W:0 D:0 L:0
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0 | Heresy 2500 Mechanised IXth W:2 D:1 L:0

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blood Angels tactica, Blood Angels resources topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users