Thoughts on new tactical marines compared to intercessors?

XeonDragon

Unpopular opinion, I have been using Space Marine Tactical squads exclusively since 6th edition.

Tactical squads with upgrades (special/heavy weapons) really shined in late 8th ed and early 9th ed. 

• The nerf to Master Artisans meant that single special/heavy weapon in a squad packs significantly less punch. 
  • Increasing wounds from 1 to 2, doesn't really mean much when the meta was already filled with multiple damage weapons. 
  • Point increase from 15 to 18 meant I have less models to field in a game with the same amount of points.
  • Loss of Transhuman physiology meant that i cannot keep them alive at a specific time when I needed a squad to hold that position.

Having played 20+ games in 9th ed - pre codex.  You can really feel the difference.  Tactical Squads are viable, just not as viable post Codex. 

Pre Codex, I had 30 tacticals all loaded with heavies and specials.   Rhinos, Razorback and 3 characters.

Post Codex, I am reduced to 20 tacticals, Rhinos and 3 characters and another smaller squad.

The extra wounds didn't really made any difference when you have less models, but are getting hit by S8 weapons and above.  Can't transhuman that away anymore.   AP - 2s ~ - 4s.  Taking 3D or D3/D6 damage.

Are they still useful?

Yes, but it is more situational now and depends on what you want them to do.   I may not upgrade them with special or heavies anymore and relegate them to holding objectives and protecting the backfield now.  Keeping the cost to a minimal and keep them in cover.

Now if I still want to equip them with a special or heavy weapon, I would have to have a Captain or LT nearby for the upgrades to be more impactful.   I can't count the number of times when the multi melta hits and then fails to wound.

Edited by Aurica

Unpopular opinion, I have been using Space Marine Tactical squads exclusively since 6th edition.

Tactical squads with upgrades (special/heavy weapons) really shined in late 8th ed and early 9th ed. 

• The nerf to Master Artisans meant that single special/heavy weapon in a squad packs significantly less punch. 
  • Increasing wounds from 1 to 2, doesn't really mean much when the meta was already filled with multiple damage weapons. 
  • Point increase from 15 to 18 meant I have less models to field in a game with the same amount of points.
  • Loss of Transhuman physiology meant that i cannot keep them alive at a specific time when I needed a squad to hold that position.

Having played 20+ games in 9th ed - pre codex.  You can really feel the difference.  Tactical Squads are viable, just not as viable post Codex. 

Pre Codex, I had 30 tacticals all loaded with heavies and specials.   Rhinos, Razorback and 3 characters.

Post Codex, I am reduced to 20 tacticals, Rhinos and 3 characters and another smaller squad.

The extra wounds didn't really made any difference when you have less models, but are getting hit by S8 weapons and above.  Can't transhuman that away anymore.   AP - 2s ~ - 4s.  Taking 3D or D3/D6 damage.

Are they still useful?

Yes, but it is more situational now and depends on what you want them to do.   I may not upgrade them with special or heavies anymore and relegate them to holding objectives and protecting the backfield now.  Keeping the cost to a minimal and keep them in cover.

Now if I still want to equip them with a special or heavy weapon, I would have to have a Captain or LT nearby for the upgrades to be more impactful.   I can't count the number of times when the multi melta hits and then fails to wound.

Totally agree. My experiences with 9th so far running a non-Primaris Firstborn list had been mostly positive until the new Codex dropped. Not saying my marines aren't still good, they are just not as good for their points compared to Primaris as they were.