+++ Dawn Cometh - A Word Bearers Log +++

Most of them are from the Box of Skulls pack from GW. (Best box they ever made, by the way.) A few of them are from AlternativeMinis on Etsy. I'm very fond of those skulls.

Ah, okay. Was asking because I couldn't tell with the skulls with open jaws. Now that you said it's from the skulls set I realize how they're like that :laugh.:

New Cultist looks great too :thumbsup:

Edited by Gederas

OUBNiwN.png

Excision

Surgery and Metaphysics are one in the same. . . Once you excise the decor, the chants, the faith, and the greed, you are left with but a core that each hold like twin edges of a sword. Like the scalpel, metaphysics are neither of devotion nor will.. They require precision, the most delicate hand to which symbols can be formed, the silvered-tongue by which false creeds and hollow shouts of devotion may be called..

But, most importantly, they both require sacrifice.. No matter what you fawn over with the title of 'God', whether it be a benevolent deity or a pantheon formed of roiling miasma, each and every one demands appeasement. Such offerings may come in many forms... Crops, animals, treasured items, gifts and currencies... But there is only one possession to which all sky-gods accept with the most craven of greed, an offering that all others will spoil and sour in compare to such a treasured gift...

Blood.

Just as you were to excise diseased flesh to stem the flow of cancer, blood and flesh must be paid to sate the thirst of a God. It can be the blood of your kin, of your enemies, or your own, but it will matter little for the flesh is all equal to an incorporeal creature. Your sacrifice may satisfy the hunger of your Golden Lord for a time, and perhaps great boons will be given in kind for your sign of devotion. However, this flesh will rot and whither, and once more your Deity will call upon you to appease their eternal hunger just as an infection will once more rise to taint the blood and stifle the senses....

It makes one wonder if Gods are not a poison themselves...

FIQ55mw.jpg

Distorted Pict-Image at the Razing of Geheradon Prime

Edited by Noctus Cornix

Not quite as disturbing as your last post, but very much to the point and very fitting. 
BTW both surgery and metaphysics benefit from a perceived call of duty and strength of will as  well  as an immense ego and delusions of grandeur.... ;)

And now for something a little different.

No completed models just yet. Haven't quite had the time to sit down and get to any proper painting until recently, but I should get some done with this coming week... if I'm not too distracted with painting my Blood Bowl stuff... (Honestly wish I could show you guys some of those.)

In other news, I was actually hoping I might be able to get some second opinions from you all. You see, I really want to get some Cult Marines in my army and I just haven't quite figured out how I want to integrate them into my Warband. First ones on the table would be some Plague Marines, no less, and I already have the Icon Bearer pretty much built. Might need a few tweaks, but he's largely done. 

Regardless, the main concern for me now is trying to decide how to paint the buggers, and I could really go for some suggestions. I suppose the biggest question would be to ask if they should be Word Bearers or not. Largely, I prefer the Word Bearers to be primarily unengaged in favoring one God too much over the others as that completely flies in the face of their creed. That being said, I certainly wouldn't say that I can't see it happening. In this case, I particularly favor possibility that this squad (probably just gonna do the one for now) is actually the former Destroyers of the Chapter. It would certainly help explain the presence of their grenade launchers. In this instance, I'd probably move for maintaining at least some semblance of their original iconography and colors. So I'd probably do something like black armour with the dark crimson shoulder insets. Maybe have a faded destroyer icon here or there...

If we go for an outsider or a group of Plague Marines that serve the Word bearers warband, I'd certainly appreciate some suggesions! I'd largely prefer to steer clear from any kind of bone or green color scheme on the simple principle that this is too common place for me and I'd really prefer to go for something a little more fresh... So to speak. Maybe something akin to the blood and rust of Silent Hill? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Let me know!

krfeXAk.jpg

Looks nice! Lovely GS work. 

What about plague marines with an unusual background? Perhaps former Ultramarines or Night Lords? 

Taking it one step further, why not have it be victims captured by the Word Bearers that have been 'blessed' by Nurgle. Then you really dirty them up with battle damage and rust showing how they've got the scraps of victory. The other approach would be Word Bearers who through fate were infected and their red is getting peeled back to a sickly grey underneath. It could be a different chapter from the WB compared to the main group. I'd name drop a few people who did similar things for their legions but their names escape me.

I'd pointedly avoid non-Legion heraldry like the DGuard bells and icons and go with converts from within the Word Bearers's ranks/adoptees of their culture. Rusted red armor and triple circle iconography done in the WB style? The more subtle, vraks renegades type of nurglite, with WB type helms and avoiding anything overly death guard esque other than maybe mk 3 bits?

Edited by Lucerne

Id go for nurglyfied word bearers

I can see some marines beiing so zealous in spreading plague that they're favourd by nurgle over the regular wb's

That was generally my thought, and I was probably going to go with something like that. 

What about plague marines with an unusual background? Perhaps former Ultramarines or Night Lords? 

Appreciate the love! Actually, I will have to turn down Ultramarines or Night Lords.... simply because I have some other ideas in mind for both of those Legions. ;)

Taking it one step further, why not have it be victims captured by the Word Bearers that have been 'blessed' by Nurgle. Then you really dirty them up with battle damage and rust showing how they've got the scraps of victory. The other approach would be Word Bearers who through fate were infected and their red is getting peeled back to a sickly grey underneath. It could be a different chapter from the WB compared to the main group. I'd name drop a few people who did similar things for their legions but their names escape me.

That's certainly not a bad idea. I've had a similar thought for Horus Heresy, actually. The Ruinstorm Daemons list has an option for possessed humans and Astartes as a Troops choice. Because I wanted a difference between the Gal Vorbak and the Ruinstorm's possessed marines, I was considering having the Ruinstorm possessed as a mess of different Legions, captured Ultramarines and other loyalist (maybe even a few traitor) legions and forced to become hosts for the predatory denizens of the warp.

Another Chapter might also not be a bad idea. Hmm....

I'd pointedly avoid non-Legion heraldry like the DGuard bells and icons and go with converts from within the Word Bearers's ranks/adoptees of their culture. Rusted red armor and triple circle iconography done in the WB style? The more subtle, vraks renegades type of nurglite, with WB type helms and avoiding anything overly death guard esque other than maybe mk 3 bits?

While I have certainly be avoiding any Death Guard iconography and specific helmets, I was under the impression that bells are more of a 'Nurglite' thing and not necessarily a Death Guard thing. My reasoning for this is that you can see bells in use with some of the Nurgle Daemon models as well as the Blight Kings in AoS. I'm also honestly quite fond of them under the simple principle of the spiritual importance of bells in some religious organizations. As an examples, bells have a special importance in Catholicism. I have some rather fond memories of listening to church bells, so I was personally inclined to keep them... that and they look pretty cool on the icon bearer.

There was an old warseer blog by a chap called totgeboren who used the old-school plague marines in his word bearers force, he painted them like the rest of his word bearers as I recall.

Mind sharing with me if you find them again?

Keen to see your take on Plaque Marines.

I like the idea of a different WB chapter, as it allows for some variation and more of a warband vs Legion feel while still remaining the core WB theme. The Destroyer cadre origin seems an easy fit for that.

I can also pretty easily picture how there are orders / chapters / warbands within the Word Bearers who gravitate towards the cardinal powers more than others, like patron saints or such. Or like different orders of  medieval monks if you want.

or for the real fluff ambitious road you could make them a former loyalist chapter that went over to chaos because they first bought into the creed of your WB force and then went on to worship Nurgle. So when they are reunited with their founders, they have a common origin / creed that can form a basis for cooperation?

The other thing that strikes me is something that Ryltar said to me, about Chaos Undivided being like a beam of light containing all the shades, but if filtered certain shades can dominate. In that context, why not have a sub-chapter of your WBs who favour Nurgle?

I think rusty instead of pus-oozing plague marines could work; necrosis is in a way akin to oxidation in any case... rotting flesh rather than goo could certainly inform your colour palette?

Still a work in progress (I didn't even wait for the nuln oil to finish drying...,) but I'm pretty happy with the current results. Wanted to share with you guys and get your thoughts while I wait for the wash to dry and determine the final detail (hightlights, rust, wearthing, blood.)

I decided that my favorite idea was probably still the former Destroyers, so I went with that. Curious to know what you guys think of the current progress. 

Now I need to decide on what the heck I'm going to do with the smoke... :ermm:

1HpeiBg.jpg

maybe more subdued tentacles/weathered icon?

Where did the destroyer transfer come from?

Like I said in my post, I haven't finished painting him and I haven't done the weathering yet. 

The destroyer transfer is from the World Eaters legion transfer sheet.