Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

+++ Dawn Cometh - A Word Bearers Log +++

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

Maybe give some more earth washes to those metallics on the marine itself? How about a vaguely greenish/black smoke?

J25oay8.jpg

Brother Carpenter

Brother Carpenter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 279 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars, Steel legion
Maybe black / white smoke.
Yes or nay for a new pope / emperor?
ETL VI Banner ETL VI Magister Faction Astartes

Midnightmare

Midnightmare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,963 posts
As ever, brilliant work. I love the fluff snippets of these mate - it really brings them to life!

With the Nurgle guy, I would try some sort of bright, noxious fumes. Maybe a bright green or purple? Very warp tainted.
bl-logo.jpggallery_45765_12339_50558.png
“We are returned”
Black Legion WIP
Flesh Eaters WIP
Tutorial:Glowing Eyes/Power Weapons
Index Astartes:Flesh Eaters

DamnedProphet

DamnedProphet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 43 posts
The Plague Marine is coming along nicely! Maybe you can color the fleshy tentacle bits with viscera or rotten blood, or even green fuzz, to really get the Nurgly look going!

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,683 posts
  • Faction: Word Bearers, Adeptus Custodes

Been a hot minute, hasn't it?... 

Safe to say, life kept me pretty occupied for the last few months, but we're back on the ol' grind. This time, we're on an entirely different subject. This is still a bit of a Work in Progress, at the moment. He's largely complete, but I'm having difficulty deciding on what to use for the head. The feet and jump pack were from the old metal Raptors from 4th edition. And, while I'd love to see about the helmet too, my models are all entirely metal and nothing short of buying a dremel is going to get those helmets off the body.

Regardless, I'd really love to know what you guys think!

d2BtDSF.jpg

vs7XvSB.jpg

9v20lVo.jpg

• Xin Ceithan, Ryltar Thamior and Givemead like this

"Dawn Cometh!"

Dawn Cometh – A Word Bearers Log | Noctus Cornix – My Instagram

To the Bitter End – The Badab War | NCornix – My Twitter               

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,683 posts

Well, while a dremel is currently out of the question, I looked around for a couple possible alternative helmets that could work as a decent enough substitute for the raptors. I've ultimately come down to two options.

1. Havoc helmets. Between the two, I feel like these helmets are the most faithful to the original concept of the raptors. While it's still not quite on the mark, there's a sloped look to the top of the helmet and the back ends in a mess of cables, much like the original raptors. Not all of the Chaos Havoc helmets will work properly, but most of them look pretty decent.

VFYNinM.jpg

1. Forgeworld Khorne Berzerker helmets (sans crest). Okay, these ones are definitely not in line with the original design of the old-school raptors. I will entirely admit that. That being said, I've always been a huge fan of these helmets and I friggin love that the vox grill is just an actual maw full of teeth. Certainly brings to mind the idea of cannibalism as the raptors gorge themselves on the still steaming gore and flesh of their prey.

W4DDHDt.jpg

I'd really like to hear you guy's thoughts. Which do y'all think looks better? Got a recommendation for another helmet that I should look into?

• Zebulon, Xin Ceithan, Kyknos of Athena and 3 others like this

"Dawn Cometh!"

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,177 posts

Both are amazing.

A mix in the squad? Raptors lorewise should be some of the most "individual" and fancy/preening Marines.

Consider also that old berserker helmets with bunny ears shaved off have a less warped but still sleek raptor vibe.

https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,181 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands Legion

Both of those helmets look great, really aggressive and vicious. As @Lucerne says, a bit of variety and individuality suits Raptors pretty well.

Zebulon

Zebulon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 675 posts
  • Faction: Several
While both options look impressive, I’d veer towards the second (FW Khorne) helmet. The Havoc heads are a little more bulky and so maybe feel a bit too large in proportion to the rest of the model?

Also your fluff explanation for the latter heads sounds like it will be better :tu:

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,683 posts

Thanks so much for the input so far, gents. As for mixing the helmet types, I feel weirdly inclined to disagree. It's not that I don't disagree with your perspective, but I suppose I've always just sort of looked at raptors having this very specific, sleek design to them that's meant to be different from other Space Marines.

A breed apart, as it were. 

With that in mind, I would personally prefer to keep the helmets, as with the feet and backpacks, within the same general aesthetic to continue along that line of showing the raptors are at least loosely unified, but different from their 'brothers'. 

Like Lycoryphus mused on his order of loyalties...

Raptors First.

Cult Second.

Legion Third.

"Dawn Cometh!"

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,177 posts

Havoc heads to stress the warped nature, berserkers to stress the "Marines, but cannibal".

https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

Ryltar Thamior

Ryltar Thamior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 902 posts

I reckon the Havoc heads - they have more of that swept-back nature . Personally, I've been rather of a fan of the current plastic raptor/warp talon heads , as they manage quite interesting monstrous yet ornate visages . 

Vox Stellarum efforts:
The Unyielding Adamanticores [truescale Astartes, auxilia, and sectorial AdMech; M37/38]
The Haunting Harii of Hvergelmir [truescale Astartes ... and associates]
The Unification Wars [truescale Thunder Warriors, (Proto-)Astartes, Army of Unification, Aegyptian-style Proto-Mechanicus raiders, etc.]
Combat Archaeology [Tomb Raiding for Fun & Prophet]
Horus Heresy [truescale loyalist IVth, VIIIth; Agents of the Sigillite; VIth; and so much more; and Umbral's amazing Traitors]
The Worlds-Wide Webway [(Dark) Eldar, Imperial Inquisition, an a-maze-ing realmweave of fear and wondermeant]
Thorian Inquisition [some rather different Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, true-scale Fire Hawks, Black Dragon, Inquisitor and associates, etc.]
For Whom The Great Bell Tolls Thrice [attempts to put the 'priest' back in 'tech-priest' with more-medieval mechanicus]
InquisiNecronMunda [the log that incepted it all - at least two Inquisitors, truescale Deathwatch, local enforcers, cultists, etc.]

Ancient_Sobek

Ancient_Sobek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders, 5th co.

This project is what I love most about this forum. It’s not just an army build blog, it’s an artistic endeavor that encompasses narrative as well as painting and modeling. Stunning work and the writing in particular is top notch!

ElDuderino

ElDuderino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,023 posts
You've already used the FW helmets for your old raptors, right? I loved those guys, but the havoc helms look even better. I haven't got that kit, but I imagine the cables needs some gs at the back. Are most of those heads locked into looking to the left?

Edit: seems like I haven't written in this thread before, my bad. I'm very glad that you're doing word bearers again, your old army is amongst my favorite projects on BnC, everything looks great this far,:)

Edited by ElDuderino, 11 February 2021 - 05:01 PM.

Zebulon

Zebulon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 675 posts
  • Faction: Several
@Duderino

Yes, the havoc heads are mostly looking left due to their posing carrying heavy weapons.

Having said that, there are a couple looking straight ahead as well as those ones carry a missile launcher or shoulder mounted lascannon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users