Ideal Wolf lord on thunderwolf Load out comparison

So I played a couple game yesterday with my thunder wolves and they performed amazingly. I also used harald death wolf who was a beast but I wanted to compare him to other options and see if other options are viable as well.

Disclaimer: I like strong lists but I’m not a WAAC meta chaser and I only make lists with models I own.

Option 1: Harald. Woth current SW Beast slayer trait default and his relic weapon he has 7 attacks on charge S 6 -2 2 dmg 6s proc mortals in addition and trait gives him +1 to wound against vehicles and monsters.

Option 2: Wolf Lord on thunder wolf. Teeth of terra and SS imperium sword trait. 9 attacks on charge S6 -2 2dmg Rerolling charges.

Option 3: WL thunderwolf. Dual LC imperium sword. 8att on charge S5 -2 1dmg rerolling wounds and charges.

Plan would be to buff these guys with MOH from a rune priest for +1 S, A, and T. I didn’t include this into the options Incase the power is denied or fails. Harald will be more durable due to his dmg reduction but is locked into his trait. I guess points cost for these guys would also be a factor as Harald is 140 and the other two 120. I know hammer lords are a thing but I wanted a lord who is well rounded not just slammy at 150pts

Thoughts?

Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84

I think it really depends on what you are sending him against. Option 3 for chaff, Option 2 for any MEW now. But with Option 3 you have better things to do that such as regular TWC.

I would say the best use of a character will be Harald or Option 2 as they will do the best against the targets you want them to hit. Option 2 is more tanky against small arms fire but will take the higher damage hits harder.

I suppose mastercrafting the claws might help as well

You beat me to it. :wink: Unlike some other options. That is a straight doubling of his killing power vs anything with 2 or more wounds.

If you want something more tanky, Adamantine Mantle for a 5+++ is a definite contender. Really struggling to make up my mind if the +1sv from the SS is worth it. Definitely reduces the risk of death-by-a-thousand-papercuts (or las rounds if you prefer).

I suppose mastercrafting the claws might help as well

You beat me to it. :wink: Unlike some other options. That is a straight doubling of his killing power vs anything with 2 or more wounds.

If you want something more tanky, Adamantine Mantle for a 5+++ is a definite contender. Really struggling to make up my mind if the +1sv from the SS is worth it. Definitely reduces the risk of death-by-a-thousand-papercuts (or las rounds if you prefer).

For tanky, albeit pricey, the Chapter Master boost and accompanying relic is very good

Makes him T6 8W 2+ 4++ 5+++

And thats without any warlord trait or a stormshield

My plan is one of those with a thunderhammer

Canis looks very tempting too

Edited by Dark Shepherd

I love canis and will definitely use him. Only thing sucks about him is he has no invul. I’ve had him picked off before with new character targeting rules and his body guards having been killed. He does buff the other wolf mounts though which combined woth death grip bite is nice Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84

I am tempted by the WGBL on TW. He is now one of the few LT-level characters who can take a storm shield (the other being the Bladeguard LT) and gets better value our of it than a WL due to his lack of native Invuln.

I guess it depends what else you are using to support your TWC. If you have a Bike Chaplain (he ain't a Wolf Priest without his healing balms :wink: ) then you have Litany of Hate to cover your rerolls to-Hit so the Lt buff might be more valuable. Of course this is going OT but to asnwer the question of what is the best TW Lord, you need to consider what you are using him for.

For tanky, albeit pricey, the Chapter Master boost and accompanying relic is very good

I think we have a winner! Pricey but hits like a freight train and won't die easily either. What gives him the 5+++ though? I don't think that is part of the Relic armour.

For LOLs you could give him the "Master of the Codex" WLT. :teehee:

I think we have a winner! Pricey but hits like a freight train and won't die easily either. What gives him the 5+++ though? I don't think that is part of the Relic armour.

For LOLs you could give him the "Master of the Codex" WLT. :teehee:

180 points

Angel Artifice which is Chapter Master Relic gives plus one wound one toughness and the 5+++

Thunderwolf Lords get extra benefit from it so if they pay no extra for it then its really good value

Applies to Canis too, as well above Wolflord, but warlord traits are going to be very interesting for us. Canis will probably get a fluffy/attack/attack aura orinetated one though

In supporting such a beatstick does Canis or any other BL on TW count as half of the lieutenant slot (you can take two per hq slot right?) and does Arjac count as half of this slot too? I love the idea of this wolf Lord on TW but fitting him in is making my brain hurt.

In supporting such a beatstick does Canis or any other BL on TW count as half of the lieutenant slot (you can take two per hq slot right?) and does Arjac count as half of this slot too?

Sadly not. Even the WGBL on TW does not count. :( There may be a case for taking a bare-bones Patrol detachment to get in a decent number of HQs.

I suspect we will lose access to all the generic marine warlord traits once the supplement drops, but obviously have 6 unique ones

I think the 2 Lts/battle leaders per HQ slot is gone, its not on datasheet or points index

Ninja'd yeah might have to pay the 2 cp tax for 4th character

Edited by Dark Shepherd

I suspect we will lose access to all the generic marine warlord traits once the supplement drops, but obviously have 6 unique ones

I think the 2 Lts/battle leaders per HQ slot is gone, its not on datasheet or points index

Ninja'd yeah might have to pay the 2 cp tax for 4th character

I use 2 patrol detachmentS all the time to get 4 HQ and take less troops if wanted.

Regular Lts/WGBLs do get the 2-per slot rule. It is in the main codex.

Is it in the detachment restrictions bit (of new marine codex)? Good news if it is/they did

Shane Canis lost his battle leader keyword so

I was looking at 2 patrol lists too but found it hampered the Elites section too much

Edited by Dark Shepherd