Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Metawatch Warhammer 40,000

Warhammer Community

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,313 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion
This looks interesting...

If you like your games of Warhammer with a more competitive or tournament-minded edge, you’re in the right place. In the first instalment of this brand-new series, head of Warhammer events and tournament organising legend, Mike Brandt, and his hand-picked guests will be bringing you up to date with all the latest trends from the tournament scene, offering advice on how to replicate – or counter – these cutting-edge strategies. So, without further ado, we’ll hand you over to the man himself…

Warhammer Community Article

And just to get ahead of things, any replies that delve into the perceived evils of competitive gaming and how they've ruined the game will be terminated with extreme prejudice.
  • Noserenda, War Angel, Juggernut and 2 others like this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Captain Coolpants

Captain Coolpants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,130 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
To me, it seems awfully strange for GW themselves to host such a topic. Considering they're the ones that ultimately dictate the the "meta".

But would be interesting to see an expanded version of this after everything is properly updated for 9th.

sarabando

sarabando

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,583 posts

feels to me like they are trying to get into the Esports/MTG tournie scene

• Doghouse, templargdt, GenerationTerrorist and 1 other like this

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,793 posts
I wonder if these will give us a heads up of any potential changes in CA or anything like that. If they themselves are acknowledging something as particularly potent or common it might be a sign that it’ll be looked at in time for the next update.

I know they/we have technically always had this kind of meta data but them publicly talking about it is a new step.

gallery_86689_11936_21517.pngsml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

depthcharge12

depthcharge12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,815 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Ist Legion
“Space marines aren’t the only best faction to do matches play...dON’t fORGet abOut sPiKeY (Death Guard) marIneS”

Xenos forces aren’t good in the hands of a sharp player...so all the Imperium ones are dull point and clicks? Lol

This announcement is prime meme material. I just wish they took the time to actually think about xenos armies that don’t rhyme with shmarlequins and give them options and balance buffs.
Sons of Horus painting log (3000+ points & Horus)

http://www.bolterand...rus-plog-horus/

Scars of Rangdan, Dark Angels Legion:

http://www.bolterand...79#entry4575179

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,786 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

Cool on paper, but the problem with GW doing this sort of thing is that any and all perspectives will be filtered through the "GW lens". We've had plenty of articles from top players & TOs on WHC over the last 3 years and most of them aren't worth the paper they're (not literally) printed on, especially when we have other sites offering far more in-depth writeups & interviews with authors who don't have to get their articles approved by a PR/marketing team. Not slighting GW, it is what it is. Might be an easy introduction to the competitive side of things for people who only get their news from GW, but I do hope the articles don't just read like a never-ending series of advertisements (e.g. this one is "buy the tournament pack" and "did we mention yet how important terrain is in 9th?").

Either way, will be interesting to see where GW goes with this series. Will never say no to more free content

Edited by Marshal Loss, 08 October 2020 - 04:39 PM.

• mithrilforge, Sandlemad, Juggernut and 12 others like this

rCsoqE7.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,757 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion this is going to be more like another "here's what the GW studio told us they'd like to shift stock of" article.

• templargdt, Aarik, Volt and 1 other like this
gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.png

The Blood Raven

The Blood Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,169 posts
  • Faction: Cosmic Chorus

That Nick sure is excited!

1. "I’m excited about a more unified tournament circuit spearheaded by the actual creators of the game."
  2. "In over a decade spent highly active in the competitive scene, I can’t think of a time when I’ve been more excited!"
  3. "I’m excited by how many different armies can compete for the top spots this edition, and I’m looking forward to seeing how things evolve with the release of future codexes."

and he knows corporate speak:

"Standardising the various pre-existing tournament formats into a single, officially sanctioned circuit will dramatically boost the competitive Warhammer 40,000 scene and establish a functionally limitless ceiling on how much it can grow."

I predict a heavily edited and GW-centric series for a broad audience.

• UnkyHamHam, Aarik, Indefragable and 1 other like this

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,885 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!
Nice to see a lengthier article on WHC but I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the example army list. Let's hope that spamming the same few units over and over is simply a product of the faction itself being limited and not an indication of how this series is going to shake out in the longer term.

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpg

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,678 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
I wonder how they’re going to compensate for armies left behind in the codex release cycle, because we know they aren’t just going to say ‘write off orks until we see what their codex does’ in a warcom article.
  • templargdt likes this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,793 posts

Cool on paper, but the problem with GW doing this sort of thing is that any and all perspectives will be filtered through the "GW lens". We've had plenty of articles from top players & TOs on WHC over the last 3 years and most of them aren't worth the paper they're (not literally) printed on, especially when we have other sites offering far more in-depth writeups & interviews with authors who don't have to get their articles approved by a PR/marketing team. Not slighting GW, it is what it is. Might be an easy introduction to the competitive side of things for people who only get their news from GW, but I do hope the articles don't just read like a never-ending series of advertisements (e.g. this one is "buy the tournament pack" and "did we mention yet how important terrain is in 9th?").

Either way, will be interesting to see where GW goes with this series. Will never say no to more free content

Yeah I have to admit I’m a little concerned about how honest these articles can really be. The nature of it is that if one thing is dominating the meta then really that’s a failure of the rules writers to balance things. So every time they write that something is overperforming then they’re admitting to mistakes which is something they’re understandably reluctant to do.

Basically it’s hard to see how the objectivity can be there but even then, the articles will probably have some useful info or be an interesting read.

gallery_86689_11936_21517.pngsml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

tychobi

tychobi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 632 posts
This is bad. There is no $ in tournaments. This will be a hole in their bucket and shareholders do not like holes. Ask any old hat fantasy player about sanctioned tournaments and game support. The community has worked so hard to make competative warhammer40k what it is. GW should focus where they excel. Models.

Kill Maim Destroy

redmapa

redmapa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,806 posts
  • Faction: Reclaimant Crusade
Yeah this is nothing bjt dishonest corporeate schlock, there will be little value when all theyre gonna do is marketing for new kits and armies and as always happens when you highlight the top is you forget about the bottom or are they going to be honest about the status of certain armies and offer advice on them? Of course they wont.
++NO PITY.NO REMORSE.NO FEAR++
++Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.++

++We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting
Till the end
++

Mandragola

Mandragola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,963 posts

Actually I found the explanation of that harlequin list pretty good. Likewise the discussion of going first. Nick has some good advice there. Winning events requires winning when you go second and he discusses how to do that.

• Shadow Captain Vyper, Noserenda, Nusquam and 3 others like this

C+C always welcome on my Titanic Plog. Should really be painting Crimson Fists.

gallery_48988_15151_9524.pnggallery_45765_12339_6416.pnggallery_48988_16045_14557.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_6255.png

juliusb

juliusb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 45 posts

Is the picture of his list from the app? Maybe a hint that the Battle Forge function is coming soon; I was hoping they'd have it sorted this weekend for the launch of the first 9e codexes.

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,028 posts

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion this is going to be more like another "here's what the GW studio told us they'd like to shift stock of" article.

Theyre didnt seem to be any of that in the article but the future is unwritten etc

Actually I found the explanation of that harlequin list pretty good. Likewise the discussion of going first. Nick has some good advice there. Winning events requires winning when you go second and he discusses how to do that.

I thought so too. And Quinns have been one of the too 4 winningest factions in 9th

Edited by Dark Shepherd, 08 October 2020 - 06:54 PM.

• Mandragola likes this

grailkeeper

grailkeeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 649 posts
  • Faction: Vylka Fenrika

Does anyone know how to invest in the salt industry. I predict stocks are going to rise rise rise!

• Volt and Dark Shepherd like this

Archaeinox

Archaeinox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,107 posts

That Nick sure is excited!

1. "I’m excited about a more unified tournament circuit spearheaded by the actual creators of the game."
  2. "In over a decade spent highly active in the competitive scene, I can’t think of a time when I’ve been more excited!"
  3. "I’m excited by how many different armies can compete for the top spots this edition, and I’m looking forward to seeing how things evolve with the release of future codexes."

and he knows corporate speak:

"Standardising the various pre-existing tournament formats into a single, officially sanctioned circuit will dramatically boost the competitive Warhammer 40,000 scene and establish a functionally limitless ceiling on how much it can grow."

I predict a heavily edited and GW-centric series for a broad audience.

Yeah I wasn't really convinced after seeing so many exclamation marks. 

Edited by Archaeinox, 08 October 2020 - 07:49 PM.

• The Blood Raven likes this

"You're a wizard, Ahri"

"Discgoat for Harambe"

de Selby

de Selby

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 34 posts

Hmmm.

It makes sense that a good way to win 9th ed 40k is to put down enough terrain that the two sides can't see each other first turn... and play a fast close combat faction.

Is there a picture of this harlequins army (with x22 harlequin's embrace) anywhere?

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,658 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

I wonder if more vocal critics will get any airtime at all in this new editorial style articles. These won't age well or make the participants look like selloust if they are indirectly pressured to moderate themselves doing other articles/ interviews away from WHC. Would be better to see more honesty from the people that show up outside of these WHC as well. Also why is there a lack of this man's personal army he is talking about? Lacking that also is a point against the article. 

• Lanparth and Archaeinox like this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Irate Khornate

Irate Khornate

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 174 posts
Honestly I saw the article and rolled my eyes, but after reading it it left me with a wary feeling.

Going off the gut feeling; this will lead to a cadre of corporate backed players who play by the unwritten rules and the rebellious underdogs that don't.

Feels like an early 2000's Disney movie gimmick now that I say it, but I wont be surprised. Actually kinda gives me a nostalgic feeling. Id watch that movie.

Edited by Irate Khornate, 09 October 2020 - 12:39 AM.

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,658 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Honestly I saw the article and rolled my eyes, but after reading it it left me with a wary feeling.

Going off the gut feeling; this will lead to a cadre of corporate backed players who play by the unwritten rules and the rebellious underdogs that don't.

Feels like an early 2000's Disney movie gimmick now that I say it, but I wont be surprised. Actually kinda gives me a nostalgic feeling. Id watch that movie.

Thinking about it more, the community is already savy enough to spot the shills who aren't receiving any benefit from GW yet, so ones that are being bought won't make them any less difficult to spot really. Fandoms elevate their own paragon's. 

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,920 posts
I'd rather have been reading meatwatch...

I can only hope the hardcore competitive lot don't drive the game forward. AoS I'm afraid is in a much better place.

RA-sig.jpg

Kyoujin

Kyoujin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 168 posts

Yeah, I don't think GW meets the gameplay standards of successful eSports games.  You really need to polish your product before stepping into this arena. 

Well, the memes have potential at least.

• Inquisitor Eisenhorn, Aarik, MegaVolt87 and 1 other like this

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

++ ARGENTARIUS IRACUNDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 17,648 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Some interesting commentary in there. List analysis, discussion of the virtues of building a list to go 2nd and obscuring terrain is welcome.

This made me laugh, however:

"In the new edition, you’re often better off using a variety of relatively inexpensive, flexible units which can function autonomously. All the new Indomitus units, such as Bladeguard Veterans, Outriders, and Eradicators, fit this unit style perfectly."

Straight out the gate he states flexible units are needed and then describes 3 units which aren't flexible at all.
  • Black Blow Fly and Aarik like this
I've started up a new YouTube channel! Please support me as I attempt to grow it.

Serious Geeks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warhammer Community

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users