IA: Sentinels Invictus

The 13th Goat

Origins

A
22nd Founding chapter under the name Gorgans Exemplar, the Chapters creation was mired with considerable controversy at the time. Due to latent concerns over some of the Iron Hands handling of the Moirae Schism and potential recruitment practice concerns it raised, the High Lords elect to draw the bulk of new recruits from a series of Ultramar recruitment worlds rather from the typical Medusian stock. The new recruits would still be em-bided with Iron Hands Gene-seed, but all their prior training was done under the culture of Ultramar. Leadership positions were also filled from more moderate successor chapters, distant from the original ideals held by the proud sons of Mannus. Angry at what they considered as the meddling of Administratum in the formation of this successor, the Iron Hands and many of their successors did not treat the chapter as true sons of the Gorgon. They instead believed the chapter was created in reponse to concerns about the Moirae Schism, and an overall lack of trust the High Lords had in the Iron Hands at the time. This was seen as an affront to their honour, and would prove to be the basis for all interactions with the chapter in its early years.

The Edian Incident

D
espite the considerable animosity held by their parent Chapter, the Gorgans were initially deployed alongside the formers Clan Morragul as part of their training cadre, in a bid to resolve the issue between the two. Unfortunately tensions would only rise between the forces; many within the Gorgons came to believe that the Iron Hands approach was too excessive and led to needless losses of Imperial life, while the Iron Hands viewed them as "drenched in the ideals of Ultramar" and lacking the ferocity of their lineage.

The situation would come to a head during what would come to be known as the Edian Incident. The two forces would be called in to help repeal a Night Lord raiding party that had descended upon the agricultural world of Edian III. While the Gorgans made planetfall to put down the civil unrest and revolt common in worlds targeted by Chaos forces, the Iron Hands focused on the void war and orbital dock battles with the bulk of the Traitor Forces. Even this division of labour was contentoues, with the Captain Korav Balen of the Iron Hands openly stating during the war council he did not trust the Gorgans to face such an enemy.

During the conflict, the Iron Hands would launch a devastating fussillade onto the main Orbital in a bid to eliminate the Night Lord commander who they believed was based on the station. This information was infact a lie, tricking the loyalists into obliterating the orbital and sending it crashing to the planet below to wipe out the planets second largest Hive City. 

In the chaos that would ensue the Night Lords slipped away, leaving the Iron Hands to face rebuke from both the Gorgans and the devastated PDF for complete disregard for Imperial life. Only last minute parlay's between the leadership of both forces averted battle between the two, but the relationship between the Gorgons leadership and the Iron Hands all but ruined.

Shortly after this incident and with support from a number of their successor chapters, the Iron Council made a formal request to the High Lords that the Gorgons gene seed stock be changed, even threatening to refuse future Gene seed tithes until the matter was resolved. While less enamoured with the idea, the Gorgons ultimately agreed this to be the best course of action. With Iron Hands and their successors viewing them as pariahs, the animosity between them was damaging the morale of the young chapter and its warriors, many who were struggling to balance the ideals of their genetic heritage with their cultural one.

Birth Of The Sentinals

N
ot wishing further conflict, the Administratum begrudgingly acquiesced to the Chapters' demands and switched the gene stock to the more suitable Ultramarine stock. The Gorgons would be moved to another sector, and take on new heraldry as the Sentinels Invictus. They would be tasked with defending the Koreth Chain, a collection of profitable trading worlds, from the nearby minor Ork Empire of Dregurk.  The would also be granted a Fortress Monestary of the moon of the Chains primary world, Reinfell. This would come to be known as Iron Watch. 

Not all were happy with the changes now imposed on them. The Chapter itself would become a divided house, with more than a few warriors dismayed at the schism that had formed between themselves and their original founding Chapter. This issue, along with the issue of Iron Hands geneseed still in circulation within the chapter, would ultimately lead the chapter to fracture. The bulk of the chapter remained in the Koreth Chain to fufill their duty to the Emperor and protect its citizens, while a roughly 3 companies left the Chain to campaign against the Orks directly, viewing it as the Medusian way of dealing with the threat. This would ultimately inform the organisational structure of the Chapter, with the 3 Wayward Sons companies operating outside of Chapter oversight. 

The Fall of Iron Watch

More To Come

Organisation[/skullheaderhalf]

More To Come

[skullheaderhalf=000000'']Doctrines

More To Come

Geneseed

More To Come

Formatting is all over the shop at the moment, but will spruce it up once i get all the fluff in.

Edited by The 13th Goat

Intersting concept. I vaugly remember that i once read something simmilar.

Your Sentences are a bit "crude" Sometimes.

What i would like to suggest, clearify a bit there founding process and further explain why they got suddenly Ultramarines Geneseed.

I assume even the Administratum cant easily Take such Changes.

But the Overall Idea of moderate Iron Hands is good. Maybe make them obsed with pure genes and a shun of prosphetics.

Intersting concept. I vaugly remember that i once read something simmilar.

Your Sentences are a bit "crude" Sometimes.

What i would like to suggest, clearify a bit there founding process and further explain why they got suddenly Ultramarines Geneseed.

I assume even the Administratum cant easily Take such Changes.

But the Overall Idea of moderate Iron Hands is good. Maybe make them obsed with pure genes and a shun of prosphetics.

Thanks for the feedback. I had a previous concept pitch on here earlier this year, but life got away from me.

Can i clarify what you mean by "crude"? Any particular bit that stands out?

As for the Ultramarine geneseed, it came after the Edian Incident. Initially it was Iron Hands geneseed, but the recruits for the new chapter were drawn from Ultramar. This meant a crucial part of the Medusian identity was missing, hence the conflict.

I do agree that i should include more on the initial decision to do this by the Administratum, not really sure i'm gonna pursue obsession with this chapter, instead focusing on the inner turmoil the chapter experiences.