bigtrouble’s Dark Angels

bigtrouble

Brothers and Sisters of the Rock, the day has finally come to make my glorious return to the hobby! I haven’t built a model since I think 2000-2001? And I haven’t played a game since 5th edition came out. I have read books, lurked forums, and my interest is always high, but for financial and family reasons it hasn’t been something I have a lot of time for, until now!

This topic will serve as my build log and painting showcase. There are so many talented and experienced builders and painters here that I’m not looking to wow you all with my skills, but I do like to get feedback, share ideas, and keep myself motivated. Comments are always appreciated.

gallery_196892_16670_138853.jpeg

My first project is just building the Dark Vengeance box, with a few slight conversions. I haven’t finished the master or the librarian yet, I have a few options to consider. I am thinking of magnetizing a couple jump packs for them.

The master makes a good Azrael stand in, so I gave his regular backpack the best banner from the Vets box. I’m also considering giving him a bare head from the Vets box, or keeping options for two heads That way I could either save his winged helmet for something else and pin it to his base in kind of an homage to the metal model. I trimmed the hook weirdness off the master’s sword. I really didn’t like it. Thought about keeping it for a Judiciar later, but decided I just wanted a fairly normal look. I also thought about smoothing it down to a completely straight edge, but decided it wasn’t worth the chance of making a mistake, and it’s such a large sword it might look unbalanced. Lots of power swords have that spade tip and I kind of like it.

Edited by bigtrouble

gallery_196892_16670_269846.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_81962.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_255071.jpeg

Finished up the builds on the Dark Vengeance HQs. I gave them jump packs, magnetized of course. I also grabbed a head from the Vets box for the master. It’s pinned so I can swap with the winged helm. I like this guy as my Azrael, especially with that head, so I’ll stop short of weapon swaps. I can use the Vets box to build HQs with more options anyway. I’ll put a little stone or something In front of him to mount the helm to. With the banner and the tall sword, the model looks pretty busy with the helmet on. Thoughts on that are appreciated.

Edited by bigtrouble

Which head is better for an Azrael stand-in?

gallery_196892_16670_345804.jpg

It's been raining here the past few days, so I can't prime anything yet. Current project is putting together some dudes from the vet's box to assemble a couple HQs, so I have options for Lieutenants and Masters.

Agreed, thanks for the input! That head is from the Primaris upgrade sprue.

Continuing notes on build progress, it went down a bit of a rabbit hole today. I was putting some robed Vets bodies together when I discovered that the old school thunderhammer I found on eBay was the same hand as the storm shields in the vets kit. So I have some work to do on those arms.

I cast about looking for extra arms and weapons handles of the right shape when I realized that the Ravenwing Command box has a bunch of extra options for posing and weapons. I got to clipping that kit off the sprues and the thought occurred to me that I should build the apothecary so I can swap it in and out of the unit, and I started planning how I would build that kit, and what bits would be left over.

Then a question came to mind: is the outrider bike substantially wider than the regular bike? I thought it would be cool to take the angel and skull altar from the Champion’s bike and use it to dress up the new Chaplain on bike. When it arrives this weekend, I hope to get some time to test fit those pieces and take some pictures

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a bit, but making some slow progress on my Dark Vengeance box. Here's a WIP of the Deathwing Terminator's squad. my painting technique is reeeeallly rough, but I find I'm having fun, and getting better every day. I will have to go back and clean up a lot of the basecoat on these guys before I start shading.

gallery_196892_16670_376169.jpeg

I've seen the Champions alter thingy used on the Chaplain so it does fit, how easy that is to achieve I couldnt tell you.

Deathwing are going to be much more layable in 9th assuming they keep the current iteration of the Inner Circle rule. As for rough painting, don't sweat it, we all have to start somewhere and Deathwing is not an easy place! They look pretty good to me!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm calling this squad done. Still need to do the bases. I enjoyed this paint scheme, but there are so many details on the DW that it took quite a long time and many little fixes. I'm sure there are still some spots that could use attention, but they look good on the tabletop.

gallery_196892_16670_67086.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_34254.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_169474.jpeg

Looking good! Really like the robes on the sergeant, I think those turned out good. Don't know if it's just the lighting hiding it, but could go back with a recess shade with a sepia wash at some point on the white armor. Can always revisit them later after you base them, don't worry about calling them done and revisiting them later.

@Wrath, thanks. It’s raining here for the next few months, so I have time to mess with them before I clear coat them. It’s partially lighting, but also partially my brush being a bit too big or unsteady for really good edge highlighting on the feet, so it covered up the shade in a few spots. I’m using army painter paints, and the Soft Tone wash has a nice color, but does not pool well or run off the brush.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress report. Tactical squad from Dark Vengeance is coming along. I got new sable brushes, which I’m very happy with, but have learned the hard way that painting these guys fully assembled is a challenge. At least it will help me practice. I’m trying not to be too picky, but I ended up with a lot of spots to clean up while getting used to new brushes.

gallery_196892_16670_152000.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the bases on the terminators and did a couple little details. I went with a pretty simple basing scheme. Just sand. I left it natural though. I think it looks quite nice in person. It’s construction sand that has been cleaned and sieved. The larger sizes I used for accent piles of stone.

gallery_196892_16670_92567.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Good stuff here. 

Since you asked for tips and advice-Are you using any washes (they were called inks back in the day) on your minis?  If not, maybe give it a whirl with some black wash on such things as your rifle barrels.  The wash will run nicely into the recesses and give you some shading in those areas with little heartache.  

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Raziel-TX

• 3 weeks later...

Black Knights ride! These are converted from the Dark Vengeance box. Added plasma guns and corvus hammers. I feel like I'm doing OK in painting. It's fun, and that's what matters. Painting white feathers is still a real challenge. They look pretty good at table top distance, but not so great up close. And my edge highlight brush control just isn't there sometimes. I think I really need to be more patient with some things. I have been anxious to get these guys done. Last of the box is the Master and Librarian. I will try to slow way down on those and give them maximum effort.

gallery_196892_16670_95742.jpeg