bigtrouble’s Dark Angels

bigtrouble

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished a Deathwing Ancient/CML with claws. This is an old pewter model that I magnetized for the back banner/ML from the command squad box. In case you’re wondering, the DEATHWING placard on the rim of the base is the metal tab that used to be between the model’s feet to go in a slotted base.

gallery_196892_16670_5079.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_117274.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished these Company Vets. Realized I didn’t do the plasma coils on the combi-plasmas, so I may update later. We’ll see how they play in 9th edition. What’s their best use, do you think?

gallery_196892_16670_992832.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you both Galthan and Stobz! I feel like my painting is improving, now I need to work on my photography! lighting in my office is optimized for painting, and makes for a pretty harsh photo. This last one was definitely edited.

• 5 weeks later...

Got some intercessor painted up. I went all out with trying to make this squad as characterful as possible. Still working on improving the photography. I think I may start working on a light box.

gallery_196892_16670_1118366.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Finally another update, and my favorite paint job to date! This model is so much fun. There are more angles in my gallery.

gallery_196892_16670_1136987.jpeg

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/album/16670-bigtrouble’s-dark-angels/

• 1 month later...

Finally finished my Indomitus BGV squad! It's been almost a year that these have been assembled and sitting on a shelf. Progress is painfully slow sometimes. I've looked back and noticed I'm averaging a little less than a squad per month for the past year, and boy have I come a long way!

I am glad I waited until my skills sharpened so that I could do these models justice. This squad took a ton of effort and care, and I'm super proud of the result.

gallery_196892_16670_210914.jpeg

My cousin and I are starting a crusade campaign. He plays Chaos, and has just picked up a sizeable Death Guard force that he wants to integrate into his chaos undivided/black legion/khorne demons force. 

We've set up a narrative where an interrogator attached to my Dark Angels 4th company picks up evidence of the Fallen in league with the Death Guard and the Hunt is on. The Death Guard are attempting to spread a plague that will destroy a Dark Angels recruiting world, so that the Fallen can attempt to capture the mutated gene-seed. Yeah, not the most original plot, I know, but it should be fun.

We're playing a progressive campaign and will be playing through all the BRB crusade missions, if not exactly in order, at least in order by game size.

EDIT: In reviewing the crusade rules again, we won't be doing the following because you can only ever take one Codex Agenda, so this would be pretty difficult to take advantage of. I still think it's a good idea, so I've left it here for posterity.

We've added an additional Fallen unit mechanic to it, since he doesn't have Fallen models and neither do I, and we kind of wanted it to be more present than the crusade rules create in the small games, where it could be 5 or more games before the fallen warlord makes an appearance.

What we'll do is before each battle, he'll roll a D6, and depending on the result, he will secretly give one of his troop or non-named character units the Fallen Keyword. For Combat Patrol sized games, we'll have a fallen presence on a 6+, for Incursion it's 5+, and for Strike Force it'll be 4+. I can roll a D6 each battle round to see if I discover the fallen unit, starting at 6+ and progressing to 2+ in the 5th battle round). If I discover the Fallen unit and destroy it, I can gain the advantages in the DA Crusade rules, but it will be random and secretive, just the way it should be!

My initial 25 PL force is:

jump pack IC with teeth of terra, litany of faith (5++ vs MW), and Calabanite knight (always wound on 2+).

Lieutenant with chainsword, combi-plasma, and brilliant strategist

5-man Intercessor squad, auto bolt rifles, grenade launcher, sgt w/power sword

10-man Tactical squad, plasma gun, plasma cannon, and sgt with plasma pistol/chainsword

Edited by bigtrouble