bigtrouble’s Dark Angels

bigtrouble

Dark Vengeance box complete!!

gallery_196892_16670_161098.jpeg

I can’t decide what to do next, I have quite the pile of shame built up. work on the Indomitus box, and convert the Assault Intercessors with some power weapons? build a box of Black Knights with swappable Apothecary and Champion? I also have a Talonmaster, DW Knights, a DW ancient, hellblasters, devastator squad, Asmodai, and company vets. I think I have the 2021 schedule laid out. :)

Update Monday! My build progresses. I decided to complete all firstborn in my pile before adding the Primaris. Kind of a fluffy decision, but also helped streamline some of my assembly process. Pictured here is the Vets and Devastator squads, with a whole bunch of magnetized options! Also pictured is an ancient metal terminator that I planned on using as the DW ancient. It came with claws, but I may be adding magnets to enable weapons options and probably the ability to add the cyclone missile launcher for more flexibility in equipping my DV terminators. Not pictured here is an asmodai that I had to repair twice because finecast sucks, and kids are destructive forces.

gallery_196892_16670_260531.jpeg

Also had the chance to finally field the army! My cousin is building a chaos/demons army. We had a 500 pt battle, and neither of us has played in quite some time, so we used it as an opportunity to learn 9th. We called it on time at bottom of T3 after his bloodletters had completed their destruction of my tactical squad, and even though my chain fist took out his hellbrute and my Master with relic sword acquitted himself admirably against the demon menace, I simply did not have the troops left to retake enough of the board to catch up on primary. So good to get them on the table. They looked great and I had a ton of fun just hanging out and rolling dice for the first time in a loooong time!

gallery_196892_16670_212145.jpeg

Another build update. Ravenwing Command ready! I did a talonmaster and the BK/Command Squad. The bikes are fully convertible between knights and command characters. The Apothecary is actually completely removable so I can prime him white. So proud of this set. I did this really cool robe conversion on the talonmaster using the upgrade kit biker robe legs and some greenstuff, which I’ve never really done before, but then pretty immediately realized it would get covered up by his arm. Oh well, was a fun experiment.

gallery_196892_16670_151717.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_61686.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Ravenwing Primaris reinforcements have arrived! I can’t prime right now due to weather, so my build blitz continues. These outriders and chaplain look absolutely amazing with some Ravenwing bling.

gallery_196892_16670_332492.jpeg

Edited by bigtrouble

Had a game 500 pt game today against black legion/demons again. My cousin and I slowly learning the game, enjoying every minute! My Dark Angels ran away with this one, I think due to his strategic errors on reinforcements. He went first but failed to get board control. He had a rhino full of troops that didn’t make it onto an objective, and he left his warlord in reserve until turn 2, which meant he couldn’t summon demons until turn 3.

My MVP goes to the black knights who, backed up by the jump chapter master, torched his rhino in one shooting phase and took out the squad in 2 rounds of combat, then zoomed across the board and smashed his hellbrute by turn 3. At that point he had no shooting units, and had to bring his reserves in too far away to make a difference, I had complete control of the board. 9th edition is so awesome. The game play is fast, decisive, and rewards good movement.

gallery_196892_16670_131325.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

WIP of the infamous Teeth of Terra Jump Interrogator. The sword is about 1 and a half indomitous chaniswords stuck together, with a spiked skull basket hilt made from the primaris chaplain’s walkin’ stick, and a ringed pommel from a corvus hammer. I magnetized the jump pack and his backpack so I can swap them between chaplain models, since I had to borrow the other chaplain’s halo for the jump pack. Not shown is the other primaris chaplain, who has a proper winged angel crozius now instead of the skull stick.

EDIT: I need to find or mold something to put down the length of the blade on the flat side, it’s pretty plain. Any ideas welcome.

gallery_196892_16670_127827.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_110284.jpeg

Edited by bigtrouble

• 1 month later...

And here’s my most recent new modeling adventure - greenstuff robes! Here’s an intercessor sergeant in robes. I still need to fill some texture issues and sand it smooth, but I’m pleased with how the first one went. I may be doing tabard style for the remaining 4 in the squad rather than full robes.

gallery_196892_16670_349929.jpeg

gallery_196892_16670_825476.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Progress! Nearly finished with these black knights. I still need to paint the apothecary separately, and the ancient banner when I get around to it. just some fixes on the black parts, some grey highlights, and a varnish and I can get them on the table!

gallery_196892_16670_214693.jpeg