Necromunda Terrain

chapter master 454

So in terms of terrain, there is the Butchered Latin Mortal zone and Section Mechano but yet I notice that the mortalis set has things like stairs and ladders, pillars and such yet that is meant to be the "tunnel" fight zone while mechanicus is the 3D which is basically just terrain for normal 40k but put into necromunda because having height means something in necromunda more than 40k. Whats the deal with that? Is it good stuff and why does the "tunnel" fight stuff have the ladders and stairs and is it compatible with mechanicus stuff?

The Zone Mortalis layers are like 2.5 inches, while the Sector Mechanicus stuff is only in 5 inch heights. So if you have two heights of Sector Mechanicus, it would take four layers of Zone Mortalis kit to get the equivalent height. From what I can tell, the walkway barriers are the same thickness though, so you could use the Mechanicus ones for Mortalis edges, and vice versa- I'm also still playing with it, but you should be able to use a double stack elevator to ascend a Sector Mechanicus layer.

The plasma pipes can integrate into the Zone Mortalis kits fine, and you can use Mortalis walls and doors to surround Mechanicus terrain for things like holding tanks, furnaces and smoke stack areas, etc.

Toxichobbit, thank you for that comprehensive run-down!

So in terms of terrain, there is the Butchered Latin Mortal zone and Section Mechano but yet I notice that the mortalis set has things like stairs and ladders, pillars and such yet that is meant to be the "tunnel" fight zone while mechanicus is the 3D which is basically just terrain for normal 40k but put into necromunda because having height means something in necromunda more than 40k. Whats the deal with that? Is it good stuff and why does the "tunnel" fight stuff have the ladders and stairs and is it compatible with mechanicus stuff?

Or just do what we have done locally and combine everything (and a few household items) into a sprawling mess of walkways, machines, different levels and industrial zones. We basically never play ZM in Necromunda, 3D is way too much fun! :D

(also my Eschers likes to run around on the upper levels too much to ever play ZM :P )

• 4 weeks later...

I strongly recommand TTCombat terrain. It's dirt cheap, you can built and re-built it how you like, it's cheap, it's easy to build, it's cheap and it is wonderful from gaming perspective.

Oh, and it's cheap.

Gamewise I may add that the xp system of Newcromunda and the rate of upgrading your guns and equipment are in no way balanced.

Basically your gangers doesn't progress at all but get high tech on an alarming rate which means that at the end of a campaign you have a gang full of goons in Iron Man worth of equipment.

If you're used to Oldmunder you'll find it really annoying. I certainly do.

The books and other sources of background tend to suggest that gangs fight either in the enclosed tunnel environments linking domes, or the more open dome areas (which could be open plains, scrap heaps, shanty towns, industrial areas, etc).  Given the way the rules work, if you're not going for fighting in the tunnels (and I would say to do so occassionally, as it adds variety), then you'll want to look for things which add height, block line of sight (pipes, barricades, etc), and allow you to cross the board.  If you don't want to go the route of GW's scenery (which looks great even on small boards, but is expensive and limited), then household items are good options (e.g plastic pipe, plasti-card, corrugated card). There are lots of guides, videos, more videos, and inspiration threads you can "borrow" ideas from :smile.:

I strongly recommand TTCombat terrain. It's dirt cheap, you can built and re-built it how you like

It also absolutely does not remind me of the terrain the original boxed set came with :wink::biggrin.:

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

The books and other sources of background tend to suggest that gangs fight either in the enclosed tunnel environments linking domes, or the more open dome areas (which could be open plains, scrap heaps, shanty towns, industrial areas, etc). Given the way the rules work, if you're not going for fighting in the tunnels (and I would say to do so occassionally, as it adds variety), then you'll want to look for things which add height, block line of sight (pipes, barricades, etc), and allow you to cross the board. If you don't want to go the route of GW's scenery (which looks great even on small boards, but is expensive and limited), then household items are good options (e.g plastic pipe, plasti-card, corrugated card). There are lots of guides,

, and inspiration threads you can "borrow" ideas from :smile.:

I strongly recommand TTCombat terrain. It's dirt cheap, you can built and re-built it how you like

It also absolutely does not remind me of the terrain the original boxed set came with :wink::biggrin.:
If you paint it that way it certainly looks more like the old sets than all the other variants you meantioned.

Depends on which set you take, really.

Just look at Delta or Beta Complex. Those bridges and platforms look very similiar. You just have to paint it the old way.

Baby blue with hazard stripes. ;)

(Source: I've got both TTCombat sets AND the original Necromunda cardboard terrain)

If you paint it that way it certainly looks more like the old sets than all the other variants you meantioned.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I was being a little sarcastic/funny - it's very clearly based on the original card terrain, and basically the closest you're going to get to it now (which is a very good thing :biggrin.:) :smile.:

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I was being a little sarcastic/funny - it's very clearly based on the original card terrain, and basically the closest you're going to get to it now (which is a very good thing :biggrin.:) :smile.:
Ah I see.

Written language is frustrating sometimes.