Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SM Codex: Lieutenants, and HQ Allotments

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Karack Blackstone

Karack Blackstone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,232 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka

Hello all, just asking if I'm reading this correctly.

With the Lieutenants rule, and that there can be up to two (2) per Detachment, that the rules within each Lt choice means that an army can include up to four Lt's with points paid for and not fill all the HQ slots is being read correctly?

Basically, 2 Lt's per Detachment normally, +2 per the Lt rule for 2 more total without taking up HQ slots.

1 Captain, 4 Lt's total, correct?

This might allow the SW's players some measure of Hero Hammer without sinking more than points into valuable FOC chart slots.

Basically....

- Battalion

1 WL

2 Lt's base, +2 with Lt Rule,

OR

Brigade

1 WL

2 Lt's base

2 other HQ's

+2 Lt's for the rule, thus paid for with pts and no further HQ slots occupied.

Might prove really useful for SW hero hammering if 9th proves to be as HQ heavy as the SW player most typically needs.

Vassakov

Vassakov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,060 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
No, sorry. You can take 2 lieutenants as a single HQ slot, but you can only take 2 maximum per detachment.

As an aside, is anyone else miffed we lost our Lord/Battle Leader designations. I know it was all just flavour text, but it still hurts.
The darks greatest gift is the light itself: as days are defined by the nights that divide them, as stars are defined by the infinite dark through which they wheel, the dark embraces the light, and brings forth from the center of itself. With each victory of the light, it is the dark that wins.

The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,969 posts

As an aside, is anyone else miffed we lost our Lord/Battle Leader designations. I know it was all just flavour text, but it still hurts.

Not too worried. I am sure it will be back in our Supplement. In the meantime, it saves them having to say Wolf Lord = Captain all over the place.
  • Jorin Helm-splitter, Dark Shepherd and WrathOfTheLion like this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

VIth

VIth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 115 posts
I would assume they’re still subject to the Rule of Three, so you could take two and fill one HQ choice for one detachment then another single lieutenant in a second detachment. You could also take a single lieutenant in three separate detachments if you wanted, but regardless I don’t see this providing a work around for the Rule of Three.

Rule of Three aside, I think you’re interpreting it wrong regardless. Two lieutenants maximum per detachment, not two tranches of 1-2 lieutenants, i.e using the 1-2 option to fit in 3+ lieutenants in a single detachment.

Edited by VIth, 16 October 2020 - 04:57 PM.

Karack Blackstone

Karack Blackstone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,232 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka

I'm wrong. That's fine.

FabulousRex

FabulousRex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,472 posts
It's still an interesting option, even with 'just' 2 Battle Leaders. 2 'smash' Lts are 240pts, and we still hit on 2s.

I think we have a greater opportunity than most chapters to get heavy hitters from our dual LT slot. I'm considering 2 Battle Leaders on Thunderwolves, that's alot of survivability as well as the anti tank hammers.
I live to drink the blood of the innocents from goblets made of human skulls. I love to hear the tattered lamentations of those I've crushed, to see a shattered bleeding hulk of a once powerful man crawl limply to me on all fours to lick my hobnailed boot and beg for a quick and merciful dispatchment. I thrill with the power granted by me via foul incantations so unholy that their mere utterance blackens the lungs. Tears of joy greet my bloodstained cheeks when I inhale the pungent aroma of flayed flesh smouldering upon the wooden shards of blasted farmhouses, while my ears are filled with the piteous cries of terrified peasants scattering before my arcing blade. In all honestly, my goal within any situation is to become a solid mass of scar tissue and to stand atop a pile of indiscriminate human remains taunting the Gods themselves with my hideous unearthly strength.

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,885 posts
The 1-2, allows people to get an extra HQ in a slot.

If your detachment had a lot of 2 HQ slots, you can make one your lord, the other 2x battle leaders. They just split up like a tact squad split when the game starts.
banana

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users