New codex - thoughts on successor traits?

XeonDragon

I think those are really good points, Lukoi. I'll be looking at Bolter Fusillades with their Rapid Assault or Tactical Withdrawal going forward - I think the ability to charge, then next turn fall back so others can shoot at that same unit and then charge back in is very strong. Given how rarely my Bolter units are in range lately I might even just try the latter two. Access to the RG WLTs and Stratagems plus those traits seems like a good compromise.

I agree with JC. It’s good to see the Spire sharing ideas so we each can help the other grow in the new edition. I’m still testing certain combinations. At the moment I’m trying to find a unit I’m willing to sacrifice a turn that can guarantee Deploy Scramblers, survive on its own long enough to help with Engage on All Fronts and cheap enough it doesn’t change my overall Strike Force strategy.

I think the thing with Deploy Scramblers is that you can perform it with a unit that just arrived from reserves, it doesn't have to be the same unit three times, and it finishes at the end of your turn. So if you can plan to have one unit stay in your DZ, you can perform it with them - maybe your Infiltrator squad set up there to help screen out your DZ from reserves. If you're moving up aggressively then maybe one of your second line units, like Intercessors moving to replace an assault force on an objective, can do it. And then you can bring in something from reserves as late as turn 5 to complete it in your opponent's DZ. You have a lot of flexibility as to when you complete it and where so it's strong for that reason alone and well worth the reduced max value of 10.

With EoAF I was pretty stoked on flyers, since you can score it with them on turn 1, but I think with MoA and Infiltrate on top of Concealed Positions it should be pretty easy to score 3 quarters on turn 1 and 4 every turn after that. You would just want to make sure you have two fire support or backline objective holders (which you need anyway to screen your DZ from deepstrike) and then two assault "arms", one for each side of the table. My plan for 1500-2k is the Bike Chaplain with Outriders (and maybe Scout Bikes) on one side and MoA Aggressors on the other.

I agree with JC. It’s good to see the Spire sharing ideas so we each can help the other grow in the new edition. I’m still testing certain combinations. At the moment I’m trying to find a unit I’m willing to sacrifice a turn that can guarantee Deploy Scramblers, survive on its own long enough to help with Engage on All Fronts and cheap enough it doesn’t change my overall Strike Force strategy.

Dracos, not sure what your list consists of but with the strategem Uncompromising Fire for I believe 1 CP, you can have a unit conduct an action and still fire.

So if you've got a deepstrike coming in, like inceptors etc that can find a way into the enemy Dz, finishing Scramblers is definitely doable and you trade 1 CP for being able to avoid taking a cheap, disposable unit.