Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Coming Soon: Warhammer Day 2020

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

Feral_80

Feral_80

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 667 posts

Well this is interesting, a new oldmarine miniature. 

Many people had assumed GW would never produce any more oldmarine sculpts after the Primaris stuff. 

Of course this is a promo so not particularly meaningful. And yet...maybe GW's ideas on the future are not so clear, after all.

• templargdt likes this

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,399 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

They made the Terminator Librarian like 5 months ago as well.

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Captain Coolpants

Captain Coolpants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,130 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights

Many people had assumed GW would never produce any more oldmarine sculpts after the Primaris stuff.

Of course this is a promo so not particularly meaningful. And yet...maybe GW's ideas on the future are not so clear, after all.

the model was likely produced years ago

evilhomer

evilhomer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

I can't be the only one to find the long parchments really distracting? It's not as detracting as the last plastic terminator chaplain, but I'm still not a fan. Bit of an awkward looking pose too. Juan Diaz's metal chaplain is still the king. Also, I am a marine collector first and foremost, but I'm honestly reaching marine fatigue - especially character fatigue. Come on geedubs, plastic steel legion when?

• Firedrake Cordova, Brother Yroc, Sandlemad and 1 other like this

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,285 posts
I don't much like the model personally, I think the pose is a bit unappealing. I think I might have a bit of marine fatigue though, I love marines but my excitement of seeing a new limited model was drained quickly when I saw it was another chaplain.
  • matcap86 likes this

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,885 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

Going by the style of the sculpted base, this model was done at the same time as the Space Marine Heroes Series 2 Terminators, which have been around for 2 years already. I think this is more a case of GW looking for an opportunity to release a long-finished sculpt, rather than an indication that Firstborn will see any particular attention again outside of these niche releases.
  • SufficientAnonymity likes this

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpg

Robbienw

Robbienw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,249 posts

There has actually been a few since the release of Primaris, namely the Space Marine Heroes series 1&2 and the limited Librarian.

Primaris are the in thing at the moment, but it’s pretty clear now that the 40k studio still intends to keep the classic designs around. I expect we will see new classic releases in this occasional limited format for a while, and then new updated classic kits longer term.
  • Gederas likes this

Bloody Legionnaire

Bloody Legionnaire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,501 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters

So.. what happened to "no more first born" models? 

I think that TDA Chaplain looks great!

It was more than just "assumed" though.. there were people actually claiming to have insider knowledge that said we wouldn't see anymore. 

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire, 12 October 2020 - 11:48 PM.

• Robbienw likes this

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,308 posts

They made the Terminator Librarian like 5 months ago as well.

the terminator librarian has the same style sprue as the space marine hero figs. i suspect this chaplain is also a related product development.

• Closet Skeleton likes this

Scribe

Scribe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,828 posts
  • Faction: Khorne

Many assumed no new units.

One off characters is just a way to say 'see no squats!'
  • Silas7 likes this

DISOBEY

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,161 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech

i don't know, as the years go by i'm finding terminators uglier and uglier... and this one was slapped with the ugly stick in a major way...huh.png

Never thought i'd say it but Thank Goodness for Primaris…sweat.gif And after seeing this I'm wishing the no more firstborn rumour was true...

The upside of this is I don't need to spend money on a ltd ed model... biggrin.png

Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge, 13 October 2020 - 04:44 AM.

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,054 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

there are elements I like, but the arm position still totally puts me off the model.

It IS a new firstborn model though, which is nice, although once again, its a new firstborn model thats exclusive to a particular day or particular deal.

• Doctor Perils likes this

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

OttoVonAwesome

OttoVonAwesome

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 275 posts

This is really cool altough I'm getting to feel some "exclusive-special-day-only-chance-edition" fatigue vibe. I really want to see more old squad/units revamped instead.

Also, for this kind of models I tend to apply extra care and time in the painting process and I'm already behind with all the previous models.

I know, such problems....

I agree the limited edition stuff is too much. I'm buying fakes now with zero shame cuase screw ebay scalpers and also gw clearly knows we want new oldmarine kits or they wouldn't keep torturing us with one shot and f'ing gatcha box models. We don't need this kind of skinner box manipulation in the hobby especially targeted at the older players who really want stuff like terminators. It's way past time for an oldmarine release that isn't time bloody sensitive. Till then gw doesn't see a dime especially with thier new 65 dollar snap fit bull.

• evilhomer likes this

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,054 posts

This is really cool altough I'm getting to feel some "exclusive-special-day-only-chance-edition" fatigue vibe. I really want to see more old squad/units revamped instead.

Also, for this kind of models I tend to apply extra care and time in the painting process and I'm already behind with all the previous models.

I know, such problems....

I agree the limited edition stuff is too much. I'm buying fakes now with zero shame cuase screw ebay scalpers and also gw clearly knows we want new oldmarine kits or they wouldn't keep torturing us with one shot and f'ing gatcha box models. We don't need this kind of skinner box manipulation in the hobby especially targeted at the older players who really want stuff like terminators. It's way past time for an oldmarine release that isn't time bloody sensitive. Till then gw doesn't see a dime especially with thier new 65 dollar snap fit bull.

or, and this might sound crazy, they do old marine releases like that because the focus for standard releases is on primaris, the limited ones being old marines allows them to do nice nods to classics without impacting their main release plans.

• Doctor Perils and BladeOfVengeance like this

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,230 posts
Unfortunately I won't be getting this guy when he comes out as I'm about to take on a mortgage, but I'll probably end up getting him down the track, even though it'll end up costing me more from a scalper. I just want to put the majority of my funds towards the house for a while to get ahead and give me a bit of leeway in the future. Great lookibgmodel though, as was the last one. I really don't think there's been a limited ed SM I haven't liked in a long time
  • mithrilforge likes this
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Irbis

Irbis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,583 posts

By 'many' you mean the FUD crowd, made much louder by 4chan trolls, that had been screeching nonsense for the past 4.5 years? ermm.gif

Because by then, I have no idea what GW can do to silence these children, they release dozens of squatmarine models in last two editions, these are all ignored/excused as don't mattering for some reason. They give gigantic, completely unneeded buffs to old line (that do nothing to silence whining and only piss off people building army theme that was invalidated without a warning), they stop developing primaris characters to start endless re-dos of squat characters (instead of letting them die with timeline progress, which would be logical thing to do if you really wanted to replace them) - really, at this point the only thing GW could do is firing new, competent sculptors and starting hiring interns who can't sculpt legs or belly again to produce more of hideous mini gorillas but I somehow doubt they would ever do that...

• Blindhamster and Borbarad like this

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,230 posts

By 'many' you mean the FUD crowd, made much louder by 4chan trolls, that had been screeching nonsense for the past 4.5 years? ermm.gif

Because by then, I have no idea what GW can do to silence these children, they release dozens of squatmarine models in last two editions, these are all ignored/excused as don't mattering for some reason. They give gigantic, completely unneeded buffs to old line (that do nothing to silence whining and only piss off people building army theme that was invalidated without a warning), they stop developing primaris characters to start endless re-dos of squat characters (instead of letting them die with timeline progress, which would be logical thing to do if you really wanted to replace them) - really, at this point the only thing GW could do is firing new, competent sculptors and starting hiring interns who can't sculpt legs or belly again to produce more of hideous mini gorillas but I somehow doubt they would ever do that...

Not everyone feels this way. Some absolutely hate Primaris. Some like you seem to hate First Born. Some hate ALL Space Marines. The majority seem to like both. Come to the grey area, polarisation is dangerous, just look at America, LOL.😜😜😜😜
  • mithrilforge and UnkyHamHam like this
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

lhg033

lhg033

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,369 posts

Like many I've always been a big fan of chaplains (maybe its a Dark Angels thing too). I like the model but the helmet seems a bit off to me in the photos. Slightly better when you see it in the video from another angel so I'll reserve judgement a bit for now. I prefer the old metal terminator chaplain (I have a few of these for different weapon options and some still in blisters)  or the birthday model that I didn't manage to get. I just hope this model doesnt have the same weird issue with the feet/armour that the recent librarian (Varus?) has 

I'll probably pick him up and horde him for a decade or so before I get around to doing anything with him

gallery_20758_7799_19457.jpggallery_21629_2989_32489.gif

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,054 posts

must say, looking on my computer now, I still hate terminator proportions. HOWEVER

It's probably my favourite terminator chaplain model we've ever had, and I really really like the helmet too. Very nice!

I think it's cool that GW continue to release firstborn models via all these limited releases, we've seen quite a few firstborn character models over the last few years, as well as the space marine heroes collections. All of which have been higher quality and detail than older firstborn kits IMO. So very nice.

I think they're also running out of steam on fleshing out primaris line at this point, there can't be too much remaining to add, so perhaps we'll then start to see refreshes on firstborn kits, although I suspect we'll see grey knights get an update first.

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,722 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate
This is not a primaris versus “firstborn” thread. Any posts carrying on off-topic will be curated with extreme prejudice.
  • Firedrake Cordova, Black Blow Fly, Aeternus and 1 other like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hantheman

Hantheman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts

Nice model. Although combi-flmare always feels so pointless.

Matrindur

Matrindur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

I could see them showing off the Christmas Battleforces on Warhammer Day if there isn't a "real" preview as last year they where also shown off at the end of October iirc

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,987 posts

Nice model. Although combi-flmare always feels so pointless.

Would not be my first choice either. Still a quick snip and you can add a spare melta barrel which is much more effective in 9th IMHO.

I could see them showing off the Christmas Battleforces on Warhammer Day if there isn't a "real" preview as last year they where also shown off at the end of October iirc

I haven't finished painting last year's yet! teehee.gif

Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Shadow Captain Vyper

Shadow Captain Vyper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,339 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard

Ah yes, another battleforce box for me to add to my bookshelf of shame, on top of last years, and the years before that for "armies I would like to have but never seem to get around to" pile.

teehee.gif

• Firedrake Cordova, evilhomer and Pork Chop Express like this

"A Mind Without Purpose Will Wander in Dark Places..."

gallery_16835_13820_5804.jpggallery_6494_6331_8260.png

evilhomer

evilhomer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

We'd already had leaks about the Battleforces by this time last year and the year before that, but I've not heard/seen anything at all this time round? I think each year GW had released photos/WC articles by early November too. WIth all the production issues this year due to corona and the fact they're struggling to keep stuff in stock I guess we might not get them this year? Be a pity if that's the case, as I've got used to delaying buying marine stuff until the Battleforces come out. But then again, I'm not sure I can store anything else in my loft teehee.gif

• Firedrake Cordova and Shadow Captain Vyper like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users