Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Coming Soon: Warhammer Day 2020

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

Rune Priest Jbickb

Rune Priest Jbickb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,368 posts
I wish it had the old pose with this level (if not less) of the amount of scrolls etc.
Never Mistake:
My Silence for Ignorance
My Calmness for Acceptance
My Kindness for Weakness

Cactus

Cactus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,073 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
With the crozius resting at his side you can overlook how silly it is as a weapon. I think the new one looks like he's taking time out from burning heretics to play tennis.

Borgias

Borgias

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 29 posts

I found this new chaplain better than the store exclusive despite a worse pose. 

A Melancholic Sanguinity

A Melancholic Sanguinity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 685 posts

For me, I think this new pose lacks a certain flow and clarity of purpose/action. If you asked me what the previous pose model was doing, well... frankly I'd ask if you were blind, because it's stunningly obvious he's either actively shooting at something or about to commence doing so.

The new guy - from this perspective, it's hard to say what his arms are doing. Nor does the pose of his head give any indication. At the risk of going all feng shui, there's no line of intent to really define the model or what action it's representing.

• Son of Carnelian and Brother Adelard like this

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,658 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

I don't understand how these 40k characters keep ending up with the most fly looking armour but the most potato gun or melee weapon. The combi flamer is terrible. 

• Juggernut, Irbis, Naryn and 1 other like this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,161 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech

See those guys should have been walking around the shopping centres when the Covid 19 hoarder idiots were panic buying toilet paper ...

"You may take 10 sheets from my roll citizen...no more no less... or face my wrath..." combi weapon points at the face...ohmy.png

Honestly,they do look like walking toilet roll holders...laugh.png

Mithril

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Robbienw

Robbienw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,249 posts

I think this new chap is copying the first primaris chaplain with his streamers, similar style and positioning.

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,627 posts

I think this new chap is copying the first primaris chaplain with his streamers, similar style and positioning.

The first loyalist with this style of parchment i guess was the plastic chaplain in PA
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Robbienw

Robbienw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,249 posts

The first loyalist with this style of parchment i guess was the plastic chaplain in PA

His were long purity seals flapping all over the place though.  The weighted streamers with metal ends style the terminator has, and the way they positioned is very similar to the first primaris chaplain.

The first model i remember with this style of two parchment streamers down from either side of the chest is one of the tabard chest pieces from the BT upgrade sprue.

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,666 posts

His were long purity seals flapping all over the place though.  The weighted streamers with metal ends style the terminator has, and the way they positioned is very similar to the first primaris chaplain.

They're the same as the last TDA chaplain released in plastic a while before the primaris model as I recall, as seen earlier in this thread. its just been toned down a bit (a lot).

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageXX

++ The Baalite Feast of Blades 2016; 2018 ++

Robbienw

Robbienw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,249 posts

Kind of, but the previous chaplain has a load of metal and skull hanger bits coming out first with a bit of parchement towards the end.  Hes a lot busier looking as a result!

Shadow Captain Vyper

Shadow Captain Vyper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,339 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard

For me, I think this new pose lacks a certain flow and clarity of purpose/action. If you asked me what the previous pose model was doing, well... frankly I'd ask if you were blind, because it's stunningly obvious he's either actively shooting at something or about to commence doing so.

The new guy - from this perspective, it's hard to say what his arms are doing. Nor does the pose of his head give any indication. At the risk of going all feng shui, there's no line of intent to really define the model or what action it's representing.

I think the new one's pose is supposed to convey him running up on to some point/objective/emplacement, then turning around to look backwards with Crozius raised bellowing back to his fellow frater "Onwards brother, show no mercy".

That being said, I think that pose is a lot harder to convey in a sculpt than such a simplistic action pose of the old model. From any angle, its very easy to tell what the old sculpt is doing. Aiming down the barrel of his ancient storm bolter Purgatus, Reclusiarch Gerhart focuses his aim on a specific Heretic PDF Officer and thinks to himself "Yesss, censored.gif that heretic in particular".

It's kind of funny to me how the community takes jibes at the sculptors for having the same 2-3 specific poses, but I think what it comes back to is those small selection of poses convey very easily the moment they are trying to capture. When you start involving this level of detail, this small, and with no eyes (often) it becomes hard to convey movement succinctly.

Anyone else find it interesting how the newer sculpt has his skull-count reduced by half?

Edited by Shadow Captain Vyper, 15 October 2020 - 01:19 PM.

• Black Blow Fly and quasistellar like this

"A Mind Without Purpose Will Wander in Dark Places..."

gallery_16835_13820_5804.jpggallery_6494_6331_8260.png

Bulwyf

Bulwyf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,529 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

Who wants to bet that any Astartes Battleforces will have Repulsors? msn-wink.gif

On a more practical note, my recollection is that GW have done Battleforces for some years now. Can anyone confirm for sure? I remember last year but not the year before.

They've been doing them since Christmas 207 I believe.

Wow... 1,813 years... that's a lot of years to be making battleforces  tongue.png

Mithril

I remember holding onto my Roman Legion army for so long back then until they came out with Byzantine Varangian Guard as a legal army to play. Couldn't resist switching. 

Edited by Bulwyf, 15 October 2020 - 04:48 PM.

• mithrilforge, Bryan Blaire, Gederas and 7 others like this
40kDGBanner

SirJyo

SirJyo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 192 posts
  • Faction: Black templars,
Local GW posted an quila adorned case? Tin?
And some sort of bag that are limited time WH day exclusives.

Not sure if they have been revealed yet/talked about.
Anyone know anything about these?
  • Triszin likes this
Who?

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,888 posts

mind posting the image here?

• WrathOfTheLion and Vesalius like this
banana

Vesalius

Vesalius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19 posts

mind posting the image here?

Phone freaked out. Sorry. Look to the bottom of here.

https://www.beastsof...dels-next-year/
  • Triszin likes this

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,399 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

Is that correct? The article is from June 2019, so it doesn't sound right to me. But it could be all of that ended up delayed.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion, 22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM.

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

lhg033

lhg033

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,369 posts

Those are definitely the 2019 bits - they were in store for the Tottenham Court Road store birthday last year - my wonderful wife picked me up the sergeant model (which is still sitting in the box). I think you had to spend something like £50 to get the tin and £100 to get the bag. 

Could be they are using the bag/tine etc again

gallery_20758_7799_19457.jpggallery_21629_2989_32489.gif

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 217 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
With the chaplains the older one just looks more sturdy and focused which is exactly what you want in a terminator character, the new one unfortunately looks lacklustre as stated above, I think it’s the head placement too kinda just looking off doing nothing maybe if the gun arm was lower? So him looks like he’s calling a challenge with the crozius? The old one is gold though love that model wish it was for general sale

Edited by BladeOfVengeance, 23 October 2020 - 04:45 PM.

• Alby the Slayer likes this

SirJyo

SirJyo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 192 posts
  • Faction: Black templars,

Phone freaked out. Sorry. Look to the bottom of here.

https://www.beastsof...dels-next-year/

Those are the ones!
Who?

Boyadventurer

Boyadventurer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 561 posts

My FLGS has been blowing it out of the water lately getting my orders in before the stuff is even up for Pre-order with GW. Here's some pics of the Tarentus sprue (apologies for the weird background, we're doing some renos and like every surface besides my stove is covered in drop cloths).

The croxius has some pretty bad clipping into the wrist (third pic) but otherwise it's a pretty good looking model.

IMG 4363
IMG 4364
IMG 4365

• Azaiel, MrSpoon and WrathOfTheLion like this

gallery_48988_15465_18333.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.pnggallery_45765_13882_2878.pnggallery_96397_14126_674.png

OttoVonAwesome

OttoVonAwesome

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 275 posts

Hard to tell but looks like swapping his head won't be simple job and the helmet seems set that wierd angle unfortunately.

Rhavien

Rhavien

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 88 posts

My FLGS has been blowing it out of the water lately getting my orders in before the stuff is even up for Pre-order with GW. Here's some pics of the Tarentus sprue (apologies for the weird background, we're doing some renos and like every surface besides my stove is covered in drop cloths).

The croxius has some pretty bad clipping into the wrist (third pic) but otherwise it's a pretty good looking model.

Thank you for the pics! I'm always amazed that sculptors are comfortable with such flaws (clipping) especially in times of CAD. The pose is already kind of awkward. If it would have been necessary to get an awesome striking pose, I would have no objections,though.

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,627 posts

The model is clearly and EtB so the limitations of the mould are all because of this

He is meant to go together with the SM heroes series2 for this reason it has the scenic base included in the sprue

“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 451 posts
Huh that wrist clipping is really interesting. From a design perspective.

It looks really awful though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users