Monolith as LoW and new price?

Bat33.1

What do people think of the Monoliths move to Lord of War? Will the 3 CP price be worth the cost?

And a side question the new price? £105 $170

That's not great to my mind as the Necron's now being a starter box army are designed to bring players in, the model is great a big improvement in detail from the old kit but I could imagine little Jonnie's parents looking at the starter and thinking that's ok with the price tiers on offer but what does he get next? That big tank monolith, err maybe not.

Jonnie's parents have a glut of other necron things they could buy instead.

The monolith would be a great birthday or Christmas gift ;)

Ultimately it has shifted to LoW, it is priced as per knights. It is what it is. The more hardcore gamers will pass, many others will get it because it's cool...

Edited by 01RTB01

Without an Invulnerable save, the Monolith has the same fragility problem it has had for all of 8th. In a friendly game it might be OK but in any competitive setting, it will get shredded very quickly. It's boosted firepower just mean your opponent won't want to let it live.

It is overpriced in points and CPs for its durability. Had melta not got quite such a buff in 9th, it might have been viable but I expect to see fast moving MMs a lot so I don't see a Monolith surviving past T2. Better to keep the CPs and spend the points on elsewhere.

Correct me if i'm wrong but don't you need to run 3 LOW to access the dynasty keyword? That means you need to spend like 6cp and < 1000 points to grant then dynasty buffs and access to their deployment stratagems. 

I'd love to run one Monolith but not if it's crippled. 

Correct me if i'm wrong but don't you need to run 3 LOW to access the dynasty keyword? That means you need to spend like 6cp and < 1000 points to grant then dynasty buffs and access to their deployment stratagems.

I'd love to run one Monolith but not if it's crippled.

2 and silent king, then 2 or 3cp for the rest of your army

Love the model and I think it's worth the price, although it's expensive enough to force me to leave it off the purchasing list for a while. Rules: if it were a heavy support choice, or you could take a single LoW in a battalion it would be great. As currently stands the Monolith will rarely see play (and not necessarily for powergaming reasons) which I think is a pity. Loss of fly on a model that big which moves like a snail (in an edition where boards are packed with terrain) also hurts.

Edited by Marshal Loss

I have been racking my brain for a way to make this less of a handicap, even for casual/narrative games. 

It needs to be stationary to deploy troops. So it can't the turn it deesptrikes. The strat is at the beginning of the movement phase so it can't use that either. Unless you deploy it on the table and risk it dying. Which its Titanic so its worth 10VP to kill it. Doubt it will last past turn 2 where the farthest you can deploy something is  midfield. 

So realistically you need to play narrative missions or Crusade so the only thing you sacrifice is 3CP and a trait rather than also giving up 10VP.

Even if it were a heavy support it would need at least a 5++ to be usable in matched play. I love the new model, I want the new one,  I have an original one, but I don't want to pay that many points just to burn 3CP and give my opponent 10VP to deploy troops midfield when I could have used a nightscythe for more efficiently and have points to spare on Doomsythes/stalkers for my heavy hitting. It doesn't do anything better for its investment other than look really cool. Which some units get away with but their cost isn't as steep.

Oh so it does, I was looking at Dimensional Corridor for start of turn. Still, a nightscythe does it better and cheaper. Its smaller too, which WHC statse the new monolith model is bigger than the old so you're looking at over 6 square inches.

You could screen the monolith using the Breach strat at least. Still gives up 10VP on a model your opponents can't ignore; so they have no reason not to take Titan Slayer against it. Single knights are fine becuase they have the invulnerable save to last them. Monolith got better shooting, can shoot in melee, and better melee this edition at least. Even a 1+ save to give it effectively a 5++ would go a long way. It got so many buffs id be liable to just take it anyway if it were a heavy support at least. 

if you include the FW ones, then the pylon has a 5++, seraptek a 5++, obilisk has none, vault has a 4++.

I too wonder if they will end up selling less than anticipated. With the rules giving people mixed feelings leaning toward "ehhh", and the price of $170....yeah. We will see. It def put me back. Months ago I was going to get 3. And then after seeing everything else, 2. And now with the price(biggest reason for me) and rules...I'm down to just getting 1. 

Edited by Ahzek451

Surely you expected them to be knight priced?

I was expecting close to Knight priced. But I think we have something that is not as tough or as good as a Knight. Is it a superheavy Transport? It can only do that when stationary. Is it a gun platform? It's firepower is adequate but much of it is short ranged and it is not fast. Nor is it tough enough to withstand the attention it will receive.

GW tend to overvalue multi-role units on the assumption that they can do all those roles at once. This is true in the case of Knights as they can shoot, charge, stomp, withdraw and then rinese-and-repeat. Using the Monolith in one way restricts its ability in other areas.

It's a lovely model and it is powerful but it has several key drawbacks that (for me), make it a unit that can be left behind.

Want deployment? A Nightscythe is cheaper and faster. Want firepower? The Necron codex is not exactly short of firepower. :wink: Want durability? There are plenty of units that will probably be harder to remove than the 'Lith.

I think the biggest downfall to the lith is that you can't get dynasty traits on it without taking a superheavy detachment. If you could then you could at least give it a 6++ for nephrekh or have a chronomancer babysit it for a 5++. Even some of the other traits would be incredibly useful on it. Though, how hilarious would 3 novokh liths be? +1 to charge and have them all running around munching things with their portals :lol:

Is the Monolith the only LOW without an invulnerable save?

All Imperial Guard/Navy LoW, no invulnerable saves.

I'm just happy I already have 3 monoliths. I'm definitely going to be playing bumper breadboxes for a while, because to hell with boring netlists.

Edited by Seahawk

As others have said, it has no invulnerable save and you suffer a totally unjustified CP penalty for bringing it at all. That matters a lot since one of the key reasons for bringing it would be to use a stratagem.

The model is awesome. It's going to take real time to paint though now. Personally I'm looking at maybe making a small necron force with my indomitus stuff and I'm afraid I can't see myself buying one of these. It is an awesome model but you can't buy every awesome model GW brings out.