Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Craftworld Etruria - Urkh's Craftworld Eldar blog

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,148 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

The Wraithblade looks great!  The white helm and rear vanes look really good with your orange, and the green power effects are cool.  Are the gems black?  They look really good, a really nice, deep shine!

My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Urkh

Urkh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 836 posts
Thank you Bryan! Yes, the gems are black. I normally do blue gems and cloth, but I figured for these guys I would go dark.

I feel like I want to hit a few areas that should have shadows with a red wash to bring the contrast in the orange a bit more ranged. I also wondered if the power weapons draw too much attention from the body of the mini. The blank face does nothing to attract attention, but maybe I want my opponent to go, "shoot, big green axes", and get distracted? I thought about painting the rune in the middle of the chest green to make give a bit more balance.

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,148 posts

I’m not sure they are that distracting, at least not to me - they sort of bookend the mini, and draw my eye in a line across it, but the. Green chest rune might be good to make sure the eye lingers there some?  It also is in a line with the other two elements, so it sort of reinforces that line idea.

I’m not sure on the red, for shadows on the orange,I think I’d lean more toward a light brown, personally.  Maybe a reddish-brown tone?

My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Urkh

Urkh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 836 posts
Well, the red wash is what I used for my farseer to get his shadows deeper, and I feel it works very well. I might go over the area with the base orange first since that's the layer I usually wash to make shadows, then layer on top of that.

If I were to use one of my brown washes, I have agrax earthshade, seraphim sepia, and riekland fleshshade to choose from. Which would you recommend. I have 9 more of these guys and it never hurts to try different things!

I also just picked up a pot of the black crackle medium GWS has, so I can hopefully get some basing done of the army!

Thank you for all the feedback!

Edited by Urkh, 27 April 2021 - 01:42 AM.

The Blood Raven

The Blood Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,298 posts
  • Faction: Cosmic Chorus

I second the brown wash on orange for depth. I can't recommend a specific wash on your models, but suggest starting with the lightest. Earthshade is very dark on orange.

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,148 posts

I think I’d probably use something like Reikland, but in this instance I would try a 1:1 mix of Reikland Fleshshade:Fuegan Orange and see how you like that color.  Sepia is more yellow toned, and Agrax is too dark to shade orange, IMO (I usually use it, green, and purple to shade reds).

I believe I was actually using pure Fuegan Orange on mine originally, so I will caveat the above with “I haven’t tried it” - if you enjoy the red shade results, then definitely use that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users