Terrain Traits: assign or automatic ?

9x19 Parabellum

Hi all.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how terrain traits get assigned to various pieces of terrain.

The examples on page 264-265 seem to be pretty clear but there are a couple things I don't quite follow.

On page 262, for "Dense Cover" it reads:

"If this terrain feature is at least 3" in height, then subtract 1 from the hit roll when...."

On page 263, for "Obscuring" it reads:

"If this terrain feature is at least 5" in height, then models cannot see through or over this terrain feature."

These 2 traits seem absolutely hard-coded to terrain features based on their height. 

On the other hand, all the other features seem a bit more permissive:

Defensible.  "If every model in an infantry unit is on or in an Area Terrain feature with this trait...."

Defence Line. "If an enemy unit is within 1" of this terrain feature..."

...and all the other traits are similarly worded in such a way as to imply that their presence is not coupled to a terrain feature of a given shape, size, or dimension the way Dense Cover and Obscuring are hard coded to terrain feature height.

So essentially what I'm asking is: does this mean that, no matter what terrain I set down on my board, if it's 3" or taller area terrain does it automatically have the Dense Cover trait, and similarly, if it's 5" or taller area terrain does it automatically have the Obscuring trait?

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

No - the rules listed under Dense Cover only apply to terrain with the Dense Cover trait. Likewise for Obscuring. A piece of terrain does not automatically gain either of these traits just by being over 3"/5" tall, but a piece of terrain that does have the trait and is over 3"/5" gains an additional rule.

Before every battle, get into the habit of defining the terrain traits with your opponent.