Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

9th Edition Grey Knight Units - Change my mind.

Tactica Grey Knights Units Strengths Weaknesses Discussion Thought Provoking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 290 posts

Hi all,

New to B&C - Not new to 40k

I was surfing a few pages of GK forum, couldn't find much in the way of discussions about tactics for GK's. SO! This being a forum and all, I thought I'd humbly share my opinion. Because this is the internet and that means, I have to have an opinion. teehee.gif 

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, and next week a 9th ed. Grey Knights codex drops. But for the foreseeable future, with the latest round of FAQs I think we can comfortably settle into a groove with what we currently have.

So, lets get to it. Enough beating around the bush. What follows will be a short summary of each of our currently available units from the Grey Knights Codex, taking into consideration PA: Ritual of the Damned and the current FAQ, following the release of the Space Marine Codex, which changed a few of our options.

+ HQ +

Lord Kaldor Draigo [10 PL, 190pts]

No better place to start then the Supreme Grandmaster himself, for 190pts Draigo is a fantastic HQ choice. His 5” termie movement isn’t great, but the fact he can be setup in the teleporter is great. It threatens your opponent with that option of teleporting him into your weak gunline or unscreened heavy hitting gun platform.

He knows 2 extra psychic powers, can deny 2 and cast 2. Which is awesome, he’s a great supporting character to deep strike with a unit of termies or paladins and apply buffs. Or give him gate of Infinity to zip around the battlefield at will. His Titansword at str 8 -4ap 3wounds is killing things with lethal proficiency. He took a slight nerf with the new storm shield rules, but in strike force scale matches, I think he will still see a fair amount of board time with his aura still working the way it does.

It sucks for fluff purposes taking him and not making him your warlord because of his crappy warlord trait. And I personally won’t be taking him in smaller incursion games as much anymore. But never-the-less a viable option all round.

Grand Master Voldus [8 PL, 160pts]

What a guy! With a slight nerf to Draigo’s shield, and the eventuality of our aura’s changing I see Voldus’ stock rising dramatically. I’m loving the way the new 9th edition of 40k plays. So, I’m always looking for efficiency, threats, board control and bang for your buck. In my most humble opinion, Voldus is the guy! With Grey Knights, everyone must do work, everyone must pull their weight, and Voldus does this. He can teleport in with a unit to support. Take him as your warlord and you can learn 4… 4 psychic powers, cast 3! Deny 3… what a beast. He’s 30pts cheaper than Draigo, same Invul save. Both must either cast sanc on themselves or use a stratagem for that 3++ save. His hammer is nasty with no minuses to hit and his aura is still great. He’s my warlord for games of Incursion and greater. Voldus gets my vote for next Supreme Grandmaster.

Castellan Crowe [5 PL, 85pts]

Ugh, where to begin. I personally don’t think he’s been any good since 5th edition and even then, Draigo making paladins troops always won out. He currently doesn’t have the teleport strike rule.  You must pay to put him in reserve. He’s got a crappy weapon that hits like a wet noodle and he takes up a coveted HQ slot. His smite is shorter range then normal and doesn’t offer anything else of value that other HQ’s don’t. I personally don’t take him, and neither should you.

Brother-Captain Stern [6 PL, 110pts]

He’s got cool lore… I guess, but that’s about it. I always look at him and think, I could do better.
Aside from the psychic Locus aura that even generic Brother Captains get, he really offers nothing unique that other HQ’s cant offer. Like Crowe, he hasn’t been good for awhile now, his smite is shorter and he’s locked to a Nemesis force Sword. You can do better.

That's the named characters done. Now for the generic HQ's.

Grand Master [8 PL, 138pts]

Decent option if you are starved on points. I’d drop one model from a unit and try to upgrade this guy to Grand Master Voldus every time though. Like many of the options in the GK HQ selection, I look at them and think… I can do better. It’s sad but the Generic options are usually a tad over costed, compared to their named counter parts in my opinion.

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [11 PL, 185pts]

Ah… the MVP of 8th edition. In my opinion still viable. In larger games of strike force sure, kit him out with the bag of tricks and in doing so, paint a HUGE red target that screams SHOOT ME! Fully kitted out at 250pts he can be a bit of a pts sink. And I usually must invest a lot of CP or psychic powers to protect him.

In 9th edition, I’m trying to move away from that, and really go target saturation. I find when I put all my eggs into one basket, my ad mech and tau friends just remove him from the board in one turn and that ruins my day. In my gaming group we give each other a lot of flak if we tailor a list to who we’re playing. So, taking him out against Tau, and putting him in for other armies is poor form.

Brother-Captain [7 PL, 118pts]

This guy is a winner! If only for psychic locus. 24” smites really help your entire army target enemy units on turn 1. Plus, unlike BC Stern, he’s customisable. In my games, I find him hard to fit into games of Incursion on the smaller board size, and it’s not really needed. But Strike force matches, he’s there for sure. Great force multiplier.

Chaplain [6 PL, 113pts]

What a great addition to the GK’s codex. The litanies are fantastic, and ofcourse, he’s a psyker! What other chapters Chaplain doubles as a librarian? Great cheap supporting character to buff your units. He’s not my go to in incursion games, but an auto-include in strike force games. Even give him a cheeky Augurium Scrolls relic for extra buffs.

Librarian [6 PL, 105pts]

Don’t tell GW, but this guy is super-efficient for his pts cost. I always equip this guy with the Sanctic Shard and some supporting spells to really get the most out of him. Along with Voldus, the librarian is my other HQ choice for smaller games like 1000pts of Incursion. But he’s also there in strike force games too! Make him your Warlord in small games, lore master+sanctic shard, and give him vortex of doom. This guy is lifting. /flex

Brotherhood Champion [5 PL, 93pts]

Ugh…. What were GW thinking…
For starters, he should have been an elite’s choice. Even then, that won’t earn him any table time with me. I wouldn’t even blink if GW removed him from our codex.

Techmarine [5 PL, 75pts]

He’s like the Apothecary, except for vehicles. Cheap, cost effective for what he offers. Stick him in behind a couple of NDK’s and have him support them. He’s a psyker and a decent supporting character. Doesn't have teleport strike, which kinda sucks. In my opinion, should have been an elite’s choice like the Apothecary because he takes up a valuable HQ slot but non the less, he might see play time in larger games.

...TLDR...

In short, Draigo, Voldus, generic Brother Captains, Chaplains and Librarians are all viable decently costed HQ's.

The GMNDK is a heavy hitter but paints a target on his back. Good choice though.

The Techmarine is niche and everything else in the HQ options are just ugly. Change my mind....

+ Troops +

Strike Squad [7 PL, 100pts]

I personally love these guys. I fell in love with them with the introduction of grav. (That was one of the worst ideas GW has ever had.) I hope with the new codex these guys get 2 wounds and their weapons a bit of an update. But Obsec and having both stormbolters and awesome CC weapons these guys really punch above their weight. The new terrain rules really help these guys with a bit more survivability. It doesn’t hurt as bad when I take these 20pt models off the table as it does with termies. They also have that crucial Teleport strike rule. With Power Armour! A unit of 10 is only 200pts and because they ARE only in power armour, I keep them cheap. I love 40 shots with storm bolters from my troop’s choice. With a stratagem and some auras, these guys lift heavy. I don’t care who I shoot at, if I’m not making the enemy roll dice, I’ll never kill anything so…

Terminator Squad [11 PL, 190pts]

What other chapter gets to boast that their termies are troops?!? Most people love these guys, they do so much work for our chapter. The unit can get quite expansive though. So with stratagems and some buffs these guys can be so resilient. Grav weapons really did a number on these guys, and our paladins. And since then I’ve been hurt so bad, I think I’m too scared to try these guys again. Looking to the future though, I see myself running a cheap unit of 5 with a HQ in support in my games. I keep these guys cheap; their storm bolters are enough along with their CC weapons. It hurts too much when a guy dies, and I look at its points.

...TLDR...

In short, I prefer strikes over termies currently. I keep both options cheap and I think both are viable.

Change my mind...

+ Elites +

Apothecary [5 PL, 80pts]

The fact this guy is no longer a paladin upgrade is awesome! The bang for buck you get with this guy is amazing in my opinion. Keep him cheap, great supporting character to heal your paladins, termies, characters or even your PAGK’s now! I usually equip him with Empyrean Domination as his psychic power and normally use him to cast Psychic Ritual secondary objective. So far, every game he’s earned me 15VP. I’ve also seen people equip him with a hammer and Inner Fire psychic power for a cheap unit of death. Teleporting him to their opponent’s backfield and blowing stuff up. All the while, healing himself in the process. Love this guy, nasty and cost effective. He’s an auto include for me.

Brotherhood Ancient [5 PL, 105pts]

Same price as a librarian and his more senior Paladin Ancient. Why would you ever take him over the Paladin Ancient? Moving on…

Paladin Ancient [6 PL, 105pts]

Takes up an elite slot but a great force multiplier and helps your units stick around when taking leadership and attrition. Really meant for larger scale games. If you have the points. Always take him over the botherhood ancient for better WS. In my opinion, a tad over costed when you compare him to a paladin or a HQ choice and what they offer. But maybe I’m wrong?

Paladin Squad [8 PL, 150pts]

And we’ve arrived.
The meat between two buns, they’re back! In strike force games will you see a 10-man unit? Not sure. But I will personally be taking a few of these, maybe in groups of 5. Love ‘em! 3 wounds, 3 attacks 2 special guns per 5. Gosh they can get expansive as a unit of 10 though! And they really need GoI and successfully making that charge every turn to really get the most out of them. Big units scream shoot me/avoid me. And when they aren’t charging and deleting whole units per turn, you really feel it. But we all take them in the hopes that they come through for us regardless.

Purifier Squad [7 PL, 100pts]

I haven’t used these guys since 5th/6th edition. At least for an elite’s unit they are the same price as my strike squads, but for slot they take up, I’d take paladins any day. Not to mention, they don’t have teleport strike, whereas my regular TROOPS choice does. GW, HELLO?!?! Moving on…

Dreadnought [7 PL, 123pts]

I miss the days of two twin autocannons… But our Dreads are psykers and with the new terrain rules, astral aim just got a whole lot stronger. We lack the Anti vehicle weapons else where in our army, so these guys are it. For 15pts more make the sacrifice and upgrade to the venerable dreadnought for the wound shrug. And when our codex gets updated to dreadnoughts -1wound. I think you’ll see a lot more. I for one am busting mine out of storage and dusting them off. Las cannon, missile launcher and astral aim, can’t beat it.

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 138pts]

Like I said with the dreadnoughts, I see this guy’s stock rising quickly. I see transports coming back, vehicles in general and the new buffs that these guys hopefully receive are going to make them awesome. Providing they stay cost efficient. Only 15pts more than a regular dread with greater resiliency. I want 3 of these bad boys in my 2000pt games.

...TLDR...

In short, Apothecaries, Paladins and Ven Dreadnoughts win out for the elite slots.

The paladin ancient I can see a place for larger games but in my opinion the paladins don't need him.

The rest, I wouldn't bat an eyelid for. Change my mind...

+ Fast Attack +

Interceptor Squad [7 PL, 115pts]

15pts extra and you’re telling me I get 12” movement and I can teleport across the map once per game? Where do I sign up? 9th edition I think is going to bring the best out of these guys. Keep them cheap, use them to deny your opponent objectives. In larger point games I will be using these guys!

...TLDR...

In short, these guys rock! Change my mind...

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider [15 PL, 285pts]

Ugh, I’ve personally struggled with land raiders for so long. For vehicles in general. All 3 options have their place in larger games I suppose?? But then again, I’d rather take a Knight and teleport strike my termies. It sucks so bad when this blows up and even kills a model inside, especially if it’s a paladin

I cant say too much on the land raiders at the moment, they’ve been heavily over costed for a few editions now and I haven’t play tested them against my gaming groups hardest armies. In 5th/6th edition I used to take a Crusader to protect my paladins but even then felt super underwhelming.

Land Raider Crusader [15 PL, 285pts]

(Same as above)

Land Raider Redeemer [15 PL, 285pts]

(Same as above)

Nemesis Dreadknight [9 PL, 135pts]

This guy is work horse. I remember the days he used to cost a whopping 275pts! He’s received a few nerfs over the editions regarding the movement and his teleporter. But his cost has come down considerably. And even when equipped with 2 guns and the swords he’s 185pts. Cheaper than a 10man strike squad. When people see him, they shoot at him, and I’m ok with that, means they aren’t killing my power armoured marines. He’s a beat stick. Give him sanc and he absorbs some punishment. I like him. I’ve managed to get great use out of him. He’s a cheaper version of the GMNDK and really the heavy support slots are currently, all his. I use 1 in incursion games and more in strike force games.

Purgation Squad [7 PL, 100pts]

I can see synergy with the tide and some stratagems, but when you do that, I feel you really need to have a lot of the special guns right through your squads, and that gets pricey! 100pts is misleading, because you are only taking them to maximise the special weapons and gosh that escalates quickly. I personally don’t take them. As bang for your buck the NDK just wins out, with the gattling psilencer and psycannon.

...TLDR...

In short, the NDK wins out above every other option.

The purgation squad is niche.

The land raiders are over costed. Change my mind...

+ Flyer +

Stormhawk Interceptor [10 PL, 195pts]

Flyers in general are in such a weird place, I remember they burst onto the scene in 6th I think it was and they were scary trying to kill them. Now they are… merely annoyances? Not as resilient as they once were. And considering they are in the GK codex, don’t even get a psychic powers… They don’t even hit that hard anymore either.

Stormraven Gunship [17 PL, 310pts]

The most overpriced piece of junk our codex offers. And compared to the newer looking flyer models. This model looks like a brick sh*t house if you ask me. It used to be cool, not any more.

Stormtalon Gunship [9 PL, 175pts]

Probably the most viable option, I could see myself taking one in a larger point game… perhaps. I’d keep him super cheap though.

No wait… No I wouldn’t take this either.

...TLDR...

In short. Flyers suck right now. Change my mind...

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [6 PL, 110pts]

I’m not sure its worth taking these now. If you want gun platforms take the dreadnoughts? If you want transport, take the cheaper rhino? I don’t know?

Rhino [4 PL, 78pts]

I can really see these guys making a comeback to really help with board control and protect strike squads. I can really see myself including one with each strike squad I take in larger point games. I’m seeing a shift in the meta with the way 9th edition plays. I think now, they are a bit over costed but that’s my opinion. I’d still use these.

...TLDR...

In short, I think dedicated transports are making a comeback with the new edition.

Rhinos > Razorbacks. Change my mind...

Note: I didn't include any forgeworld options.

This is all my personal opinion taking into account our codex, its points, and my personal gaming meta.

The purpose of this thread is to invite discussion and gather other people opinions and thought on each of the units from our codex.

I've already learned a few handy tips and tricks from watching other Grey Knight players on youtube. And I'm hoping I can either inspire

or be inspired to try new things or see options in a different light.

I look forward to hearing from my brothers of the Halls of Titan.

Edited by Reskin, 15 October 2020 - 10:22 AM.

• Brother Lunkhead and librisrouge like this

DHoaUD5.jpg 

Icosiel

Icosiel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 170 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights

Welcome to B&C! Always exciting to have new battle-brothers.

Love your breakdown of our various units. I don't take contention with any of it, really, except that I rate Terminators above Strikes right now. The extra survivability is key, I think.

One thing: I played a game recently against Harlequins and brought two Stormhawk Interceptors. They did work, each knocking out an entire 5 man bike squad. A nifty trick I discovered with them was to cast Edict Imperator on them turn one, so they can shoot and then fly off the board back in to Strategic Reserves. Protects them from a round of shooting!

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 290 posts

Welcome to B&C! Always exciting to have new battle-brothers.

Love your breakdown of our various units. I don't take contention with any of it, really, except that I rate Terminators above Strikes right now. The extra survivability is key, I think.

One thing: I played a game recently against Harlequins and brought two Stormhawk Interceptors. They did work, each knocking out an entire 5 man bike squad. A nifty trick I discovered with them was to cast Edict Imperator on them turn one, so they can shoot and then fly off the board back in to Strategic Reserves. Protects them from a round of shooting!

Cheers!

I was watching Chef and Bone from Tabletop Tactics youtube channel give a breakdown of the new Codex Space Marines and it really got me thinking about my own codex. I really wanted to bounce some ideas around and get a feel for what others think. And if other feels the same as I do.

There was an interesting quote one of them made, they said like,

the Space Marine codex feels bloated, with a lot of redundant units now. They either do the same thing as something else but worse, or are just priced so drastically wrong compared to other units of similar style that there's no point looking at them.

It triggered something in my mind when I heard that, where our Codex suffers much the same. But on the other end of the spectrum. We have so few options in the way of units, and the fact every single one of our units can be kitted up the exact same. from our powerful Grandmasters to our humble strike squads. That when choosing units, we really only have 2 criteria to choose from. How survivable is it? What is it cost vs damage output ratio? And the other units in out list naturally fill their respective roles, because all our infantry and characters are the same. Like the dreadnoughts for Anti tank, backline support, like the NDK for that gun distraction and heavy hitting beatstick.

I was also thinking about how edict Imperator is under rated at the moment. I've thought about how it could possibly help land raiders somehow become useful, or casting gate on a land raider. But then casting gate becomes a bit of a gimmick, when my foot slogging troops really need it more.
I prefer to cast edict onto an NDK if its short table edge deployment and get him up the board quickly, or back behind some sort of cover. There's potential there for that spell to really come into its own in 9th edition

Edited by Reskin, 15 October 2020 - 10:28 AM.

• Brother Lunkhead and librisrouge like this

DHoaUD5.jpg 

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,167 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights, Dark Angels, DW

Hi all,

New to B&C - Not new to 40k

I was surfing a few pages of GK forum, couldn't find much in the way of discussions about tactics for GK's. SO! This being a forum and all, I thought I'd humbly share my opinion. Because this is the internet and that means, I have to have an opinion. teehee.gif 

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, and next week a 9th ed. Grey Knights codex drops. But for the foreseeable future, with the latest round of FAQs I think we can comfortably settle into a groove with what we currently have.

So, lets get to it. Enough beating around the bush. What follows will be a short summary of each of our currently available units from the Grey Knights Codex, taking into consideration PA: Ritual of the Damned and the current FAQ, following the release of the Space Marine Codex, which changed a few of our options.

+ HQ +

Lord Kaldor Draigo [10 PL, 190pts]

No better place to start then the Supreme Grandmaster himself, for 190pts Draigo is a fantastic HQ choice. His 5” termie movement isn’t great, but the fact he can be setup in the teleporter is great. It threatens your opponent with that option of teleporting him into your weak gunline or unscreened heavy hitting gun platform.

He knows 2 extra psychic powers, can deny 2 and cast 2. Which is awesome, he’s a great supporting character to deep strike with a unit of termies or paladins and apply buffs. Or give him gate of Infinity to zip around the battlefield at will. His Titansword at str 8 -4ap 3wounds is killing things with lethal proficiency. He took a slight nerf with the new storm shield rules, but in strike force scale matches, I think he will still see a fair amount of board time with his aura still working the way it does.

It sucks for fluff purposes taking him and not making him your warlord because of his crappy warlord trait. And I personally won’t be taking him in smaller incursion games as much anymore. But never-the-less a viable option all round.

There is also the fact that he can be deployed on any turns, as Warp Emergence is not your standard Teleport Strike. But generally agree with your assessement, however remember Draigo can be buffed to a 3+ with Sanctuary/Heed the Prognosticars. Then there is also the fact that even though Terminator Armor movement sucks, there is always gate of infinity/3" deepstrike.

Grand Master Voldus [8 PL, 160pts]

What a guy! With a slight nerf to Draigo’s shield, and the eventuality of our aura’s changing I see Voldus’ stock rising dramatically. I’m loving the way the new 9th edition of 40k plays. So, I’m always looking for efficiency, threats, board control and bang for your buck. In my most humble opinion, Voldus is the guy! With Grey Knights, everyone must do work, everyone must pull their weight, and Voldus does this. He can teleport in with a unit to support. Take him as your warlord and you can learn 4… 4 psychic powers, cast 3! Deny 3… what a beast. He’s 30pts cheaper than Draigo, same Invul save. Both must either cast sanc on themselves or use a stratagem for that 3++ save. His hammer is nasty with no minuses to hit and his aura is still great. He’s my warlord for games of Incursion and greater. Voldus gets my vote for next Supreme Grandmaster.

Agreed.

Castellan Crowe [5 PL, 85pts]

Ugh, where to begin. I personally don’t think he’s been any good since 5th edition and even then, Draigo making paladins troops always won out. He currently doesn’t have the teleport strike rule.  You must pay to put him in reserve. He’s got a crappy weapon that hits like a wet noodle and he takes up a coveted HQ slot. His smite is shorter range then normal and doesn’t offer anything else of value that other HQ’s don’t. I personally don’t take him, and neither should you.

Agreed with as well. Hopefully with the new codex he gets something, perhaps something purifier specific?

Brother-Captain Stern [6 PL, 110pts]

He’s got cool lore… I guess, but that’s about it. I always look at him and think, I could do better.
Aside from the psychic Locus aura that even generic Brother Captains get, he really offers nothing unique that other HQ’s cant offer. Like Crowe, he hasn’t been good for awhile now, his smite is shorter and he’s locked to a Nemesis force Sword. You can do better.

He still got some uses. That reroll ability is pretty useful, however I don't use him as well.

That's the named characters done. Now for the generic HQ's.

Grand Master [8 PL, 138pts]

Decent option if you are starved on points. I’d drop one model from a unit and try to upgrade this guy to Grand Master Voldus every time though. Like many of the options in the GK HQ selection, I look at them and think… I can do better. It’s sad but the Generic options are usually a tad over costed, compared to their named counter parts in my opinion.

Disagree with you there- for the same amount of points, go with a Brother-Captain for Psychic Locus/Voldus (for a bit more). Sure he's fluffy, but I don't see a reason to take him. .

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [11 PL, 185pts]

Ah… the MVP of 8th edition. In my opinion still viable. In larger games of strike force sure, kit him out with the bag of tricks and in doing so, paint a HUGE red target that screams SHOOT ME! Fully kitted out at 250pts he can be a bit of a pts sink. And I usually must invest a lot of CP or psychic powers to protect him.

In 9th edition, I’m trying to move away from that, and really go target saturation. I find when I put all my eggs into one basket, my ad mech and tau friends just remove him from the board in one turn and that ruins my day. In my gaming group we give each other a lot of flak if we tailor a list to who we’re playing. So, taking him out against Tau, and putting him in for other armies is poor form.

With Sanctuary, they are one of the most durable units around, so I'm wondering why you are spending so much CP on protecting him? Granted everyone will shoot him down, but a 2+/3+ invuln (with sanctuary) should be sufficient, no? [/color]

Brother-Captain [7 PL, 118pts]

This guy is a winner! If only for psychic locus. 24” smites really help your entire army target enemy units on turn 1. Plus, unlike BC Stern, he’s customisable. In my games, I find him hard to fit into games of Incursion on the smaller board size, and it’s not really needed. But Strike force matches, he’s there for sure. Great force multiplier.

Agreed.

Chaplain [6 PL, 113pts]

What a great addition to the GK’s codex. The litanies are fantastic, and ofcourse, he’s a psyker! What other chapters Chaplain doubles as a librarian? Great cheap supporting character to buff your units. He’s not my go to in incursion games, but an auto-include in strike force games. Even give him a cheeky Augurium Scrolls relic for extra buffs.

Definitely one of the best, and can pack a punch in melee as well. However, I find that aside from buffing purgators or running some heil-mary melee list, there really isn't much point in running him. If his Litany of Faith worked on regular wounds as well as mortal, then definitely.

Librarian [6 PL, 105pts]

Don’t tell GW, but this guy is super-efficient for his pts cost. I always equip this guy with the Sanctic Shard and some supporting spells to really get the most out of him. Along with Voldus, the librarian is my other HQ choice for smaller games like 1000pts of Incursion. But he’s also there in strike force games too! Make him your Warlord in small games, lore master+sanctic shard, and give him vortex of doom. This guy is lifting. /flex

Agreed.

Brotherhood Champion [5 PL, 93pts]

Ugh…. What were GW thinking…
For starters, he should have been an elite’s choice. Even then, that won’t earn him any table time with me. I wouldn’t even blink if GW removed him from our codex.

To be fair, if you give him Blade of the Forsworn, for 95 points he remains one of the cheapest HQ options, which is quite useful in melee. Aside from that, yeah, utterly worthless.

Techmarine [5 PL, 75pts]

He’s like the Apothecary, except for vehicles. Cheap, cost effective for what he offers. Stick him in behind a couple of NDK’s and have him support them. He’s a psyker and a decent supporting character. Doesn't have teleport strike, which kinda sucks. In my opinion, should have been an elite’s choice like the Apothecary because he takes up a valuable HQ slot but non the less, he might see play time in larger games.

Nor an invuln save for that matter. However where he usually shines is the Aetheric Conduit relic, which might be useful if you are running a double lascannon Dreadnought castle. Usually I give him Lore master so he can be a portable CP battery with Empyrean Domination.

...TLDR...

In short, Draigo, Voldus, generic Brother Captains, Chaplains and Librarians are all viable decently costed HQ's.

The GMNDK is a heavy hitter but paints a target on his back. Good choice though.

The Techmarine is niche and everything else in the HQ options are just ugly. Change my mind....

+ Troops +

Strike Squad [7 PL, 100pts]

I personally love these guys. I fell in love with them with the introduction of grav. (That was one of the worst ideas GW has ever had.) I hope with the new codex these guys get 2 wounds and their weapons a bit of an update. But Obsec and having both stormbolters and awesome CC weapons these guys really punch above their weight. The new terrain rules really help these guys with a bit more survivability. It doesn’t hurt as bad when I take these 20pt models off the table as it does with termies. They also have that crucial Teleport strike rule. With Power Armour! A unit of 10 is only 200pts and because they ARE only in power armour, I keep them cheap. I love 40 shots with storm bolters from my troop’s choice. With a stratagem and some auras, these guys lift heavy. I don’t care who I shoot at, if I’m not making the enemy roll dice, I’ll never kill anything so…

Ah yes. However, I find that 5m strike squads just die, I usually run them in batches of 10 if I can help it.

Terminator Squad [11 PL, 190pts]

What other chapter gets to boast that their termies are troops?!? Most people love these guys, they do so much work for our chapter. The unit can get quite expansive though. So with stratagems and some buffs these guys can be so resilient. Grav weapons really did a number on these guys, and our paladins. And since then I’ve been hurt so bad, I think I’m too scared to try these guys again. Looking to the future though, I see myself running a cheap unit of 5 with a HQ in support in my games. I keep these guys cheap; their storm bolters are enough along with their CC weapons. It hurts too much when a guy dies, and I look at its points.

Try running them in 10m squads, with Sanctuary, Redoubtable Defence and Transhuman Physiology - 100points cheaper than a paladin bomb, pretty much unshiftable, and play them aggressively. Gate them to the enemy squad (choose linebreaker), get the charge of, clear the chaff and with a GMNDK you have two threats in enemy territory while the enemy is scratching his head wondering what to do. They are gold. Don't do this with strikes, they won't hold up to a stiff breeze.

...TLDR...

In short, I prefer strikes over termies currently. I keep both options cheap and I think both are viable.

Change my mind...

+ Elites +

Apothecary [5 PL, 80pts]

The fact this guy is no longer a paladin upgrade is awesome! The bang for buck you get with this guy is amazing in my opinion. Keep him cheap, great supporting character to heal your paladins, termies, characters or even your PAGK’s now! I usually equip him with Empyrean Domination as his psychic power and normally use him to cast Psychic Ritual secondary objective. So far, every game he’s earned me 15VP. I’ve also seen people equip him with a hammer and Inner Fire psychic power for a cheap unit of death. Teleporting him to their opponent’s backfield and blowing stuff up. All the while, healing himself in the process. Love this guy, nasty and cost effective. He’s an auto include for me.

Lately, I've found that Inner Fire, while fun, is just not worth it. He does an average of 7MW (give or take 2), and you are blowing 3CP on Dynamic Insertion, Powerful Adept, and the Aegis just to high roll a 11 (12 effectively). After that, he's in the middle of nowhere, and gets shot of the board next turn, because the opponent is not leaving him alive after what you just pulled. I just run him in Deep-strike with Armoured Resilence or Sanctuary or Gate of Infinity to reinforce paladins. For the extra spiciness, you can run him with a WL trait, first into the Fray for some melee paladin shenanigans. Hopefully he benefits with the 9th edition Chief Apothecary rules.

Brotherhood Ancient [5 PL, 105pts]

Same price as a librarian and his more senior Paladin Ancient. Why would you ever take him over the Paladin Ancient? Moving on…

Agreed.

Paladin Ancient [6 PL, 105pts]

Takes up an elite slot but a great force multiplier and helps your units stick around when taking leadership and attrition. Really meant for larger scale games. If you have the points. Always take him over the botherhood ancient for better WS. In my opinion, a tad over costed when you compare him to a paladin or a HQ choice and what they offer. But maybe I’m wrong?

Generally agree. I haven't had a chance to use him yet, but I have a list (surprise, suprise) that he is a crucial figure in. I'll have to do more testing, but my suspicion is that the more terminator bodies you have, the more better he will be in your list.

Paladin Squad [8 PL, 150pts]

And we’ve arrived.
The meat between two buns, they’re back! In strike force games will you see a 10-man unit? Not sure. But I will personally be taking a few of these, maybe in groups of 5. Love ‘em! 3 wounds, 3 attacks 2 special guns per 5. Gosh they can get expansive as a unit of 10 though! And they really need GoI and successfully making that charge every turn to really get the most out of them. Big units scream shoot me/avoid me. And when they aren’t charging and deleting whole units per turn, you really feel it. But we all take them in the hopes that they come through for us regardless.

And don't forget Sanctuary! That's why there is always an Apothecary reinforcing them with it. Alternatively, I give them Sanctuary, and deep-strike them (with the Apothecary WL charge trait). Or just put them on the board, pop the Aegis and gate of infinity them. But yeah, agreed nonetherless, however if our terminators will get 3W, unfortunately we won't be taking these bad boys anymore.

Purifier Squad [7 PL, 100pts]

I haven’t used these guys since 5th/6th edition. At least for an elite’s unit they are the same price as my strike squads, but for slot they take up, I’d take paladins any day. Not to mention, they don’t have teleport strike, whereas my regular TROOPS choice does. GW, HELLO?!?! Moving on…

Purifiers for me remain the "dark horse" of the edition. That D6 smite is pretty promising, and I'm at pains to try figuring out how to make it work. The idea of taking a redeemer has been flouted, gating said redeemer across with some success. Perhaps with the new codex we will be seeing their smite become 6"?

Dreadnought [7 PL, 123pts]

I miss the days of two twin autocannons… But our Dreads are psykers and with the new terrain rules, astral aim just got a whole lot stronger. We lack the Anti vehicle weapons else where in our army, so these guys are it. For 15pts more make the sacrifice and upgrade to the venerable dreadnought for the wound shrug. And when our codex gets updated to dreadnoughts -1wound. I think you’ll see a lot more. I for one am busting mine out of storage and dusting them off. Las cannon, missile launcher and astral aim, can’t beat it.

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 138pts]

Like I said with the dreadnoughts, I see this guy’s stock rising quickly. I see transports coming back, vehicles in general and the new buffs that these guys hopefully receive are going to make them awesome. Providing they stay cost efficient. Only 15pts more than a regular dread with greater resiliency. I want 3 of these bad boys in my 2000pt games.

Agreed.

...TLDR...

In short, Apothecaries, Paladins and Ven Dreadnoughts win out for the elite slots.

The paladin ancient I can see a place for larger games but in my opinion the paladins don't need him.

The rest, I wouldn't bat an eyelid for. Change my mind...

+ Fast Attack +

Interceptor Squad [7 PL, 115pts]

15pts extra and you’re telling me I get 12” movement and I can teleport across the map once per game? Where do I sign up? 9th edition I think is going to bring the best out of these guys. Keep them cheap, use them to deny your opponent objectives. In larger point games I will be using these guys!

Paradoxically, I'm not sold on them, unless you put them in strategic reserves. They just die too quickly for what they do, however I need some experimenting to do with a list that utilises said mobility. Perhaps the only thing I can see is them shunting T1, and vortexing of doom the closest person on the marker. After that, they are just a one trick pony. 

...TLDR...

In short, these guys rock! Change my mind...

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider [15 PL, 285pts]

Ugh, I’ve personally struggled with land raiders for so long. For vehicles in general. All 3 options have their place in larger games I suppose?? But then again, I’d rather take a Knight and teleport strike my termies. It sucks so bad when this blows up and even kills a model inside, especially if it’s a paladin

I cant say too much on the land raiders at the moment, they’ve been heavily over costed for a few editions now and I haven’t play tested them against my gaming groups hardest armies. In 5th/6th edition I used to take a Crusader to protect my paladins but even then felt super underwhelming.

Actually I've had a lot of success with these for three reasons. First of all, I find people don't know what the Grey Knight can do that well, and hence they don't know what to expect. I ran a list with 2 GMNDK's+Paladins and a LR and the opponent (while experienced) was at a loss of what to do. Nor do they expect a LR gating into their territory with flamers primed. Not only that, but if you position a LR in obscurring terrain with a 10m strike squad, you gate the LR (preferably with sanctuary on top of it) unload the strikes T2, and you got a pretty effective screen that incinerates anything in it's path in the opponents territory. To make these badboys work for you, you have to provide other threats (such as the two GMNDK's I mentioned). Afterwards the opponent on top of the fact not know how to deal with Grey Knights, is left with three threats. Depending on what he chooses to address, the LR survives until T2-3 just lascannoning/flaming everything in it's range. Just position them in such a way where the opponent can't fire everything at you at once. That's how you make them work. The third thing is using them as a very expensive screen. Rotate them side-ways to an entrance where your castle is, pop vengenace of the machine spirit, and watch your opponent cry as you deal D6 mortal wounds to anything that charged him. Guarantee they weren't expecting that.

Land Raider Crusader [15 PL, 285pts]

(Same as above)

Land Raider Redeemer [15 PL, 285pts]

(Same as above)

Nemesis Dreadknight [9 PL, 135pts]

This guy is work horse. I remember the days he used to cost a whopping 275pts! He’s received a few nerfs over the editions regarding the movement and his teleporter. But his cost has come down considerably. And even when equipped with 2 guns and the swords he’s 185pts. Cheaper than a 10man strike squad. When people see him, they shoot at him, and I’m ok with that, means they aren’t killing my power armoured marines. He’s a beat stick. Give him sanc and he absorbs some punishment. I like him. I’ve managed to get great use out of him. He’s a cheaper version of the GMNDK and really the heavy support slots are currently, all his. I use 1 in incursion games and more in strike force games.

GMDNK's are just so much better.

Purgation Squad [7 PL, 100pts]

I can see synergy with the tide and some stratagems, but when you do that, I feel you really need to have a lot of the special guns right through your squads, and that gets pricey! 100pts is misleading, because you are only taking them to maximise the special weapons and gosh that escalates quickly. I personally don’t take them. As bang for your buck the NDK just wins out, with the gattling psilencer and psycannon.

This is another dark horse that recently popped up to light. Get two squads of psilencer purgation squads (all with psilencers, excepts the justicar), pop psychic onslaught and the shooting tide, and watch the new bladeguard veterans cry as you blow them up with D3+1 wounds. These are the new marine meta killers, mark my words. Also load them up onto a Land Raider, and just punch a massive hole in whatever is in 24" inches. Chaplain is highly recommended.

...TLDR...

In short, the NDK wins out above every other option.

The purgation squad is niche.

The land raiders are over costed. Change my mind...

+ Flyer +

Stormhawk Interceptor [10 PL, 195pts]

Flyers in general are in such a weird place, I remember they burst onto the scene in 6th I think it was and they were scary trying to kill them. Now they are… merely annoyances? Not as resilient as they once were. And considering they are in the GK codex, don’t even get a psychic powers… They don’t even hit that hard anymore either.

Stormraven Gunship [17 PL, 310pts]

The most overpriced piece of junk our codex offers. And compared to the newer looking flyer models. This model looks like a brick sh*t house if you ask me. It used to be cool, not any more.

[color=#0066FF] There are some interesting shenanigans I want to try with that unit. I'll let you know soon, TM.

Stormtalon Gunship [9 PL, 175pts]

Probably the most viable option, I could see myself taking one in a larger point game… perhaps. I’d keep him super cheap though.

No wait… No I wouldn’t take this either.

...TLDR...

In short. Flyers suck right now. Change my mind...

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [6 PL, 110pts]

I’m not sure its worth taking these now. If you want gun platforms take the dreadnoughts? If you want transport, take the cheaper rhino? I don’t know?

Rhino [4 PL, 78pts]

I can really see these guys making a comeback to really help with board control and protect strike squads. I can really see myself including one with each strike squad I take in larger point games. I’m seeing a shift in the meta with the way 9th edition plays. I think now, they are a bit over costed but that’s my opinion. I’d still use these.

...TLDR...

In short, I think dedicated transports are making a comeback with the new edition.

Rhinos > Razorbacks. Change my mind...

Note: I didn't include any forgeworld options.

This is all my personal opinion taking into account our codex, its points, and my personal gaming meta.

The purpose of this thread is to invite discussion and gather other people opinions and thought on each of the units from our codex.

I've already learned a few handy tips and tricks from watching other Grey Knight players on youtube. And I'm hoping I can either inspire

or be inspired to try new things or see options in a different light.

I look forward to hearing from my brothers of the Halls of Titan.

In blue.

Edited by Skywrath, 16 October 2020 - 12:45 PM.

7DtmK1a.pnge2ZWJbt.pngt44uaS0.pngIJKynoL.pngtFMKXdu.pngAhRNilX.png

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 290 posts

There is also the fact that he can be deployed on any turns, as Warp Emergence is not your standard Teleport Strike. But generally agree with your assessement, however remember Draigo can be buffed to a 3+ with Sanctuary/Heed the Prognosticars. Then there is also the fact that even though Terminator Armor movement sucks, there is always gate of infinity/3" deepstrike

Are you talking beer and pretzels hammer? Draigo or any unit in Strategic reserve can't come before turn 2. Also, Voldus can be buffed to a 3++ now as well.

Decent option if you are starved on points. I’d drop one model from a unit and try to upgrade this guy to Grand Master Voldus every time though. Like many of the options in the GK HQ selection, I look at them and think… I can do better. It’s sad but the Generic options are usually a tad over costed, compared to their named counter parts in my opinion.

Disagree with you there- for the same amount of points, go with a Brother-Captain for Psychic Locus/Voldus (for a bit more). Sure he's fluffy, but I don't see a reason to take him. .

That's exactly what I was saying, there's better for less or more points.

Lately, I've found that Inner Fire, while fun, is just not worth it. He does an average of 7MW (give or take 2), and you are blowing 3CP on Dynamic Insertion, Powerful Adept, and the Aegis just to high roll a 11 (12 effectively). After that, he's in the middle of nowhere, and gets shot of the board next turn, because the opponent is not leaving him alive after what you just pulled. I just run him in Deep-strike with Armoured Resilence or Sanctuary or Gate of Infinity to reinforce paladins. For the extra spiciness, you can run him with a WL trait, first into the Fray for some melee paladin shenanigans. Hopefully he benefits with the 9th edition Chief Apothecary rules.

Totally agree. That move will only happen once against an opponent you play regularly, then never again. Ahahaha.

Interceptor Squad [7 PL, 115pts]

15pts extra and you’re telling me I get 12” movement and I can teleport across the map once per game? Where do I sign up? 9th edition I think is going to bring the best out of these guys. Keep them cheap, use them to deny your opponent objectives. In larger point games I will be using these guys!

Paradoxically, I'm not sold on them, unless you put them in strategic reserves. They just die too quickly for what they do, however I need some experimenting to do with a list that utilises said mobility. Perhaps the only thing I can see is them shunting T1, and vortexing of doom the closest person on the marker. After that, they are just a one trick pony. 

Everything is going to die at some point, that's the grim dark future. But with target saturation, if they are shooting your 230pt 10man unit as opposed to a unit of termies? wouldn't you be happy? Or vice-versa, if they are shooting your termies you've just gated into their back line, while 2 mobile units of these guys score distant objectives? I think we can both agree that movement and flexibility in 9th is going to be crucial, we can only cast gate of infinity once per turn and have to foot slog the rest of our guys.

I cant say too much on the land raiders at the moment, they’ve been heavily over costed for a few editions now and I haven’t play tested them against my gaming groups hardest armies. In 5th/6th edition I used to take a Crusader to protect my paladins but even then felt super underwhelming.

Actually I've had a lot of success with these for three reasons. First of all, I find people don't know what the Grey Knight can do that well, and hence they don't know what to expect. I ran a list with 2 GMNDK's+Paladins and a LR and the opponent (while experienced) was at a loss of what to do. Nor do they expect a LR gating into their territory with flamers primed. Not only that, but if you position a LR in obscurring terrain with a 10m strike squad, you gate the LR (preferably with sanctuary on top of it) unload the strikes T2, and you got a pretty effective screen that incinerates anything in it's path in the opponents territory. To make these badboys work for you, you have to provide other threats (such as the two GMNDK's I mentioned). Afterwards the opponent on top of the fact not know how to deal with Grey Knights, is left with three threats. Depending on what he chooses to address, the LR survives until T2-3 just lascannoning/flaming everything in it's range. Just position them in such a way where the opponent can't fire everything at you at once. That's how you make them work. The third thing is using them as a very expensive screen. Rotate them side-ways to an entrance where your castle is, pop vengenace of the machine spirit, and watch your opponent cry as you deal D6 mortal wounds to anything that charged him. Guarantee they weren't expecting that.

I like what I'm hearing, I've had that thought about sticking units inside and then essentially you are gating two units instead of one. Which is awesome efficiency. Edict Emperator also has a place here for a similar effect.
I used to use these in 5/6th edition when they had the assault vehicle special rule. To protect my paladins and they could charge out of it.

Now though, units disembarking can't charge. So that has really nerfed the options of the LR and the Stormraven.

You are correct though, other targets to shoot will protect the land raider, and yes they can pack some punch with much needed heavier weapons that we lack.

I want these guys to work, I think they look beasty on the table, and are great looking models.

Purgation Squad [7 PL, 100pts]

This is another dark horse that recently popped up to light. Get two squads of psilencer purgation squads (all with psilencers, excepts the justicar), pop psychic onslaught and the shooting tide, and watch the new bladeguard veterans cry as you blow them up with D3+1 wounds. These are the new marine meta killers, mark my words. Also load them up onto a Land Raider, and just punch a massive hole in whatever is in 24" inches. Chaplain is highly recommended.

Like I said, I can totally see the potential, it's there. I'm too scared to take that leap of faith though. Psilencers are sooooo under-rated. You're onto something. Psychic Awakening really has unlocked their potential like never before. And I would like these guys to have some success.

You do it first, and let me know. If it wins, I'll copy you and claim the credit.

Cheers so much for the response, some food for thought there. So now that we've agreed on something. Lets turn our focus on the bad or neglected units.

Given that our codex isn't released yet, and the possibility of GW surprising us, what would you suggest these units need to see more table time? What in terms of variety do they need?

Different weapon loadouts? New unit specific rules that enhance their intended use?

• Skywrath likes this

DHoaUD5.jpg 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tactica, Grey Knights, Units, Strengths, Weaknesses, Discussion, Thought Provoking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users