Purchase advice sought.

01RTB01

Thinking two monoliths and 2 boxes of Ophydians with flayed ones for Christmas...

Alternatively one monolith, one box Ophydians and the void dragon...

Help?!

Not looking for hyper competitive!

Currently have 60 Warriors, skorpekhs, silent king, triple lokhusts, 10 Praetorians, 5 death marks, stalker, Doomstalker,Spyder plus scarabs.

Edited by 01RTB01

If you go ophydians, you may want 2 boxes so you have the option of a full squad to take advantage of RP. Considering their defense is less than a skorpekh, you may want this. A void dragon is also nice, but personally I would be hesitant on 2 monoliths at the moment. I mean, it's up to you. Especially if not hyper competative. 

I feel the Void Dragon is the easiest big bad to slot into any list.

So I would say Void, 2 boxes ophydians, and 1-2 flayed ones depending on what’s in the kit. Of course that’s only one big kit under the tree.

But, if I’m going for the moon? Void Dragon and 2 Monolith’s lol.

Why 2 monos? You can't even field them in pairs.

Better than 1, can't afford 3 :D

I feel the Void Dragon is the easiest big bad to slot into any list.

So I would say Void, 2 boxes ophydians, and 1-2 flayed ones depending on what’s in the kit. Of course that’s only one big kit under the tree.

But, if I’m going for the moon? Void Dragon and 2 Monolith’s lol.

I could do that but nothing else lol [2 and void]

I think I'd go with the Monolith, Void Dragon and Opydians. A second Monolith probably isn't as much use and anyway it looks like a massive project to paint. Sometimes a lot of detail isn't entirely good news.

One thing I've been looking at is the cost of buying warriors. It looks like getting starter sets might be cheaper overall than getting them on their own. In particular the recruit edition is barely more money than the ten warriors that come in it, so if you've got any use for the characters and marines in there (or your friends do and you can split a box) that's definitely the way to go.

Personally I think I'll grab a command edition box. I could use the terrain.

I think I'd go with the Monolith, Void Dragon and Opydians. A second Monolith probably isn't as much use and anyway it looks like a massive project to paint. Sometimes a lot of detail isn't entirely good news.

One thing I've been looking at is the cost of buying warriors. It looks like getting starter sets might be cheaper overall than getting them on their own. In particular the recruit edition is barely more money than the ten warriors that come in it, so if you've got any use for the characters and marines in there (or your friends do and you can split a box) that's definitely the way to go.

Reckon 3 Ophydians on their own would be of use? Back line harrassment?

I'd definitely be grabbing a command edition if I hadn't managed two sets of indom plus the extra 20 for cheap - think I paid same for 20 as GW are after for 10... Selling off the contents of second indom meant the second warrior chunk and skorpekhs were a bargain - I sold everything bar them for sensible pricing. Certainly a relative bargain.

Reckon 3 Ophydians on their own would be of use? Back line harrassment?

I'd definitely be grabbing a command edition if I hadn't managed two sets of indom plus the extra 20 for cheap - think I paid same for 20 as GW are after for 10... Selling off the contents of second indom meant the second warrior chunk and skorpekhs were a bargain - I sold everything bar them for sensible pricing. Certainly a relative bargain.

I think that's probably exactly the use for Ophydians, yes. But in general I think deep striking to try and charge is always going to be seriously unreliable. Even if you don't come up against units like infiltrators that totally shut them down, you still have that 9" charge. The majority of the time you'll fail and leave your unit stood there doing nothing.

I think maybe a better option is to have something like a lord with the VoD to move a warrior unit. 40 shots from gauss reapers will hurt pretty much anything more than Ophydians would, while being obsec and vastly tougher. More expensive too, of course.

3 Ophydians on their own are extremely unlikely to accomplish anything (mind you, even a full unit is probably not going to do much). They're massively outshone by Skorpekhs & Wraiths. It's a rule of cool unit for sure and if I were taking them I'd probably go for a full unit, maybe in concert with Flayed Ones/a Hexmark/Veil of Darkness relic + unit, etc. But as a cheap throwaway backline distraction unit they're massively outshone by Flayed Ones.

To the broader point at hand though: my vote goes for a combination of 1x Monolith, 1x Void Dragon, and the Ophydians. You can then flesh out the latter later on or add some other friends to help them get the job done. :smile.:

Edited by Marshal Loss

I understand the monolith is LoW now which would really be on my mind for purchase. The void dragon, which really looks good, will probably get chopped up by errata in the near future. The others I will have 2 boxes if not more down the road.

I am curious how many people are getting the Monolith in general.  Personally I went with the Void Dragon and two boxes of Ophidians this week, along with the new terrain piece (don't think I would ever use as an actual fortification).

It is VERY difficult for me to imagine how a model as large as the Monolith will move around a battlefield with any decent terrain without the FLY keyword.

I adore the model, I think I may be in the minority though. If they'd left it as a heavy support choice I'd have bought two. However, the shift to LoW has led to me getting only one and a void dragon.

This way I can run szarekh, monolith and void dragon and it won't cost me any CP to field apart from losing szarekh's free 3

I adore the model, I think I may be in the minority though. If they'd left it as a heavy support choice I'd have bought two. However, the shift to LoW has led to me getting only one and a void dragon.

This way I can run szarekh, monolith and void dragon and it won't cost me any CP to field apart from losing szarekh's free 3

I like the model too, but alas I fear that it will become an expensive dust gatherer or table top scenery piece as it stands!

I think the Monolith looks amazing but with me basically building my Necron army from scratch starting just before 9th dropped and there being so many new kits AND so many big new kits, I can't afford everything and something had to give, so no Monolith for me (for now at least).

I think the Monolith looks amazing but with me basically building my Necron army from scratch starting just before 9th dropped and there being so many new kits AND so many big new kits, I can't afford everything and something had to give, so no Monolith for me (for now at least).

Totally agree, I'd been selling stuff for ages for the release and despite that I'm still having to seriously ponder what to get. The void dragon I got instead of 2 boxes of Ophydians and I have to say I did flip flop a lot on what to do.

Having received and opened szarekh today, he's definitely a kit for building when totally awake and sub assembling to death...

Buy as many of the recruit boxed sets to get as many warriors and scarabs that you need. You get dice, 5 assault Intercessors and a LT for 5 extra bucks US instead of paying 45 for 10 warriors

My buddy who owns a store said a GW sales rep told him they will be coming out with more starter boxed sets this edition like tooth n claw, wake the dead, shadowspear, etc which may have some new terrain. Seeing how they have individual warriors and the new terrain sets cost almost as much as a starter set they may not be selling those tiered sets the whole edition.

I bought 6 of those and sold the warriors/scarab sprues, since I have 50 already. All mine sold for 25-30 bucks a pop with free shipping that costs about 5 dollars. I kept all the wardens for use as Immortals. Then I bought some hexmarks, a lokhust destroyer, new techmarine and 2 servo Turrets. Its an easy flip.

If you can find one of those outrider detachments for sale its a bargain buy even if you pay a little bit more than the original price. I got lucky and found some. Hole in the wall spot in Utah that had one. Theres a few Facebook groups that buy,sell and trade. If you use PayPal and invoices you can be insured and keeps everyone honest. Ive never had problems

I think the hexmark destroyers, doom stalkers, Skorpekh destroyers and lord are going to be key units. Wraiths and tomb blades are good but mostly sold out.

I'm also not sure if the ophydians are a better option than wraiths. They have more attacks but t4 and no range

Edited by Debauchery101