The Purge

I do not think there is a unit that does not benefit from reroll to wound. You want some ways to guarantee wounds on the units you want to kill, like smites/MW-psipowers, maybe a bolter chaoslord for daemon shell or similar things. Generally shootings works better, but CC also works.

Edited by MasterDeath

With only Characters, Infantry, Bikers, and Hellbrutes getting the re-roll to hit I like Havocs and Oblitorators. Next up would be anything with plasma, less chance of killing themselves over charging. And don't forget it works in melee as well, beserkers and plague marines with flails.

Interesting - I had thought you couldn't take berzerkes, as the 8th ed FAQ gave each of the 4 vigilus <LEGION>s a specific mark specific - but that bit of the FAQ doesn't appear to have carried over into 9th. (It is in the 9th ed Vigilus Ablaze FAQ).

As above, the rerolls are good on everything that can get them... so any list focused on infantry would do well with their LEGION traits.

EDIT - looked in the wrong FAQ

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Unless the updated FAQ reworded things, you can use any renegade trait you choose for a warband that is not one of the named warbands. This allows you to have a warband named, let's say, "Warband X". Warband X does not have an associated trait and is therefore free to choose any. Because having the keyword THE PURGE requires NURGLE though, you cannot use the strategem, warlord trait, or relic for the purge as these all require THE PURGE keyword.

So, you cannot have THE PURGE Berserkers, but you can have WARBAND X Berserkers that make use of the renegade trait for The Purge. Again, that's unless they reworded the new FAQ so that this is different.

Edited by Doom Herald

My bad, you can't take beserkers as "Purge". I was thinking of a mixed list I ran with Purge and WE in separate detachments. I would get my beserkers in combat then with the strat shoot into combat to free them up to charge.