Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Codex Roadmap

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,827 posts
And we already know its DA and Xenos.
I'll make my bet on Jean Stealers ;)
Edit: it's a blind guess on the Xenos.

Edited by Sete, 16 October 2020 - 04:59 PM.

• N1SB likes this

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,399 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

Deathwing and Genestealers would be a quite fun throwback sort of setup to have some fun with.

• The Blood Raven, Marshal Loss, templargdt and 1 other like this

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,627 posts

My bet for the xenos in january is orks

Cause orks have a new miniature coming according to that video that has also the new DG character and the SoB Palatine

And the SW are coming in november probably with primaris Ragnar out from the big box against... Gaz and Orks 

So prabably Gaz will be released in short time after Ragnar and this leads me to think that the codex orks with gaz and the other new model will be out in january alongside DA supplement

• Triszin, AfroCampbell, Joe and 1 other like this
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

VanDutch

VanDutch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 150 posts
My money is on Sisters and Orks. We’ve seen the preview of their new models, and the publicity Sisters have had ninth edition cinematic and action figures would make me think GW would be eager to get their proper 9th edition rules out early.

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,627 posts

My money is on Sisters and Orks. We’ve seen the preview of their new models, and the publicity Sisters have had ninth edition cinematic and action figures would make me think GW would be eager to get their proper 9th edition rules out early.

As DA  are told by GW to be out together with the first xenos codex of 2021 and that xenos codex is in january Sisters will be probably in february 

Maybe according to the teaser of new models shows DG, DE, orks, SoB and AdMech the schedule could be

January DA + orks (or DE)

Febraury SoB (or AdMech) + DE (or orks)

March AdMech (or SoB) + another codex

And this will lead to April where we have the rumor of BT with primaris Helbrecht

“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

++ CANTOR ARDENS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,082 posts
  • Faction: Forces of the Imperium

Here's a codex roadmap:  Blood Angels, Death Guard, Deathwatch, Space Wolves, redacted redacted redacted redacted! 

Like all good roadmaps, we redact 80% of where it is going. 

• Brother Cristopher likes this

SpiritFox22

SpiritFox22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 209 posts

Here's a codex roadmap:  Blood Angels, Death Guard, Deathwatch, Space Wolves, redacted redacted redacted redacted! 

Like all good roadmaps, we redact 80% of where it is going. 

Well yes cause because it's not different flavors Space Marines.  No one cares/buys the Xenos and other sub factions except in major releases. 

/s

Edited by SpiritFox22, 16 October 2020 - 11:36 PM.

• Doctor Perils likes this

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,285 posts
I would be surprised if sisters don't have a few new kits coming with their book given their popularity. The priest models are ancient and I'm sure gw could think up a new unit for them. So I think they might come a little later.

I still hope that the new plastic catachan characters is indicative of a new box for them. I can't be the only one who asked for updated guard in the community survey. So I think maybe catachan vs orks for the line up.
  • Dark Shepherd likes this

Putrid Choir

Putrid Choir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 636 posts

Early 8th was 2-3 codexes a month and the quality did suffer on those early books with Eldar being the most solidly balanced (outside of the Ynari stuff that was outside of the book and not balanced at all).

July - Space Marines
August - Chaos Space Marines, Grey Knights
September - Death Guard, Adeptus Mechanicus
October - Astra Militarium, Craftworlds
November - Tyranids
December - Blood Angels, Dark Angels

January - Adeptus Custodes, Chaos Daemons
February - Thousand Sons
March - Tau, Necrons
April - Drukhari
May - Harlequins, Deathwatch
June - Imperial Knights
July - *None*
August - Space Wolves
September - *None*
October - *None*
November - Orks
December - *None*

8th edition never had a 3 per month codex release for Warhammer 40k, and had more 1 per month releases than 2. As long as it's at least two per month and no months skipped they will get them out a lot faster.
  • templargdt and Closet Skeleton like this

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,590 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

8th edition never had a 3 per month codex release for Warhammer 40k, and had more 1 per month releases than 2. As long as it's at least two per month and no months skipped they will get them out a lot faster.

9th doesn't need its codexes to come out as fast, it needs to replace the rushed 8th ed books with better internally balanced ones.

The rules team is supposedly expanded so we could get both but I see no reason to hope they rush them. Not when even bad books like Tau have some horrendous casual unfriendly power builds.

• AfroCampbell likes this

SirJyo

SirJyo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 192 posts
  • Faction: Black templars,
If I had to guess they left the DA date and next codices open ended due to covid supply lines being messed up.

Kind of weird that one of the current big 3 BA, SW, DA has it's release date so far out to begin with. I don't think the DA supplement is necesarily ready at this posting's time, hence the vague imperium cover.

Edited by SirJyo, 17 October 2020 - 10:06 AM.

Who?

Putrid Choir

Putrid Choir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 636 posts

9th doesn't need its codexes to come out as fast, it needs to replace the rushed 8th ed books with better internally balanced ones.

The rules team is supposedly expanded so we could get both but I see no reason to hope they rush them. Not when even bad books like Tau have some horrendous casual unfriendly power builds.

No so much rushed as much as codex creep victims haha. I hope they keep a similar formula as the marine and necron codex. Fair traits across sub factions and mono bonuses for everyone. If they do that across every codex, it should be better.

Edited by Putrid Choir, 17 October 2020 - 10:09 AM.

• nanosquid likes this

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,028 posts

If I had to guess they left the DA date and next codices open ended due to covid supply lines being messed up.

Kind of weird that one of the current big 3 BA, SW, DA has it's release date so far out to begin with. I don't think the DA supplement is necesarily ready at this posting's time, hence the vague imperium cover.

Last time SW were delayed by almost a year just to fill a gap in the schedule, even though the marine codexes were all completed at the same time

sairence

sairence

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 659 posts
Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to that any Codexes planned for the next half year at least have been done for a while.

That said...give me my Guard!
  • beefeb likes this
gallery_30308_9518_8251.png

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,028 posts

Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to that any Codexes planned for the next half year at least have been done for a while.

That said...give me my Guard!

Guard is an interesting one as theyve cut so many rerolls and rolls for shots and damage out of the marine arsenal/game in general, so do guard get the same and also when it comes orders? So that codex would take a lot more work maybe so that could delay them

sairence

sairence

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 659 posts
I wouldn't mind a bit more reliability in my guns, not gonna lie. :P

I do remember them saying in a vox cast that the Guard codex for 8th was actually the first one they finished writing. Make of that what you will for their codex schedules.
gallery_30308_9518_8251.png

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 251 posts
Screw every other codex I want Grey Knights, and I want awesomely powerful rules to slay everyone 🙃
  • templargdt, Gumo9 and Skywrath like this

DHoaUD5.jpg 

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,248 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

Screw every other codex I want Grey Knights, and I want awesomely powerful rules to slay everyone

Don't worry, I'm sure they will have a powerful new relic in the fabled "Tangerine"

But screw the Grey knights, I want to see Imperial Knights. What new toys will we get to turn enemies into Rubber duckies!

• Reskin likes this

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

OttoVonAwesome

OttoVonAwesome

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 275 posts

I'm still apalled knights are a thing. Even more confused and disturbed by sons of behemat. It's like playing battletech with giant models models but on a tiny board. Definitely throws balance off a bridge. Gw never gonna find a sweet spot in the rules for them cause they belong to whole different scale of game.

• mel_danes, templargdt, Juggernut and 2 others like this

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,590 posts

No so much rushed as much as codex creep victims haha. I hope they keep a similar formula as the marine and necron codex. Fair traits across sub factions and mono bonuses for everyone. If they do that across every codex, it should be better.

The Tyranid and Grey Knight books don't suffer from Codex Creep, they're just badly desinged and most of their problems were with the datasheets that were barely changed from the index.

• templargdt and Ishagu like this

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 251 posts

I'm still apalled knights are a thing. Even more confused and disturbed by sons of behemat. It's like playing battletech with giant models models but on a tiny board. Definitely throws balance off a bridge. Gw never gonna find a sweet spot in the rules for them cause they belong to whole different scale of game.

What foundation are you basing that from? Knights aren't even top tier at the moment, with the way 9th edition plays they are definitely one of the armies that are lacking. That's subjective and misleading.

From experience in small 1000pt games, Knights are definitely beatable, even without dedicated anti vehicle shooting. As I play Grey Knights. They definitely work in larger scale games because there's more room to fit in dedicated counters to them.

The Tyranid and Grey Knight books don't suffer from Codex Creep, they're just badly desinged and most of their problems were with the datasheets that were barely changed from the index.

Cant speak for 'Nids but one glaring issue that has been in every Grey Knight codex, is the "bonus" deamon rules we get and subsequently pay the points for. But the likelihood of us getting to use those bonuses in a match is slim at best. Daemons aren't the most popular army to field, and in my 8 years of playing the game. The only daemons I've got to kill were obliterators and small bonus units that the Chaos Marine Codex gets to take.

Definitely a terribly thought out rule for Grey Knights. -  What GW need to do, is gather all the matched play data from their sanctioned tournaments or whatever the pro scene is where they gather data from play testing and determine the probability of GK's ever getting to use our "daemon" bonuses. I'm paying a premium for nothing.

Its absolutely ludicrous!

Edited by Reskin, 18 October 2020 - 09:13 AM.

DHoaUD5.jpg 

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,885 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

What foundation are you basing that from? Knights aren't even top tier at the moment, with the way 9th edition plays they are definitely one of the armies that are lacking. That's subjective and misleading.

From experience in small 1000pt games, Knights are definitely beatable, even without dedicated anti vehicle shooting. As I play Grey Knights. They definitely work in larger scale games because there's more room to fit in dedicated counters to them.

ermm.gif Where in that quote from Otto does it say that Knights are strong? The argument being made is that they are difficult to balance, and that seems pretty obviously correct to me.

• mel_danes likes this

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpg

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 251 posts

I'm still appalled knights are a thing....

...they belong to whole different scale of game.

ermm.gif Where in that quote from Otto does it say that Knights are strong? The argument being made is that they are difficult to balance, and that seems pretty obviously correct to me.

The other argument could be made that they are indeed strong against some army compositions.

Edited by Reskin, 18 October 2020 - 09:57 AM.

DHoaUD5.jpg 

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,028 posts
Everyone owns a Castellan by now so they dont need either an urgent or OP codex to shift units :)

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,590 posts

Definitely a terribly thought out rule for Grey Knights. -  What GW need to do, is gather all the matched play data from their sanctioned tournaments or whatever the pro scene is where they gather data from play testing and determine the probability of GK's ever getting to use our "daemon" bonuses. I'm paying a premium for nothing.

Its absolutely ludicrous!

You're not paying a premium for anti-daemon rules, you're paying a premium for storm bolters and power weapons and psychic powers on basic units. Give a unit all the rules then pay a premium, that's the assumption of how points work. If you take an elite army and can't leverage all the stuff you're paying for in a game you're supposed to lose. GK are far from unplayable post Psychic Awakening. Tyranids are also far from unplayable they just have to avoid taking 90% of their codex, which GK don't have the unit variety in the first place to even think about doing.

Grey Knights are never going to be balanced as an all comers faction without throwing out the entirity of their unique flavour.

GK need a boost in survivability to stop them from being too reliant on glass cannon tactics but ultmately efficiently pointed GKs would be like giving Tyranids vehicles.

Edited by Closet Skeleton, 18 October 2020 - 11:48 AM.

• Blindhamster and Skywrath like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)