Devastator 9-10

Tactical 11-16

Assault 17-18

Devastator 19-20

Or

Tactical 1-12

Assault 1-4

Devastator 1-4

I prefer to think it's either of the latter two - the first at least identifies 1-6 as tactical, 7-8 as assault, 9-0 as devastator even if there is 1 in front of them, but I also like the idea of 1st Devastator squad, or 9th Tactical squad.

What do you think?

Personally, I’m kinda ignoring the whole thing, and just treating it like an extended version of combat squads. Those 3 units of Eliminators and the Invictor Suit are all 9th squad, it’s just that 2 “Sergeants” are actually just squad leaders, and in the next battle when they deploy as Hellblasters they’ll be back to just being one squad of 10.

With the reinforced company (what you're referring to by a 20 Squad Company), it's still 6 Battleline, 2 Close Support and 2 Fire Support squads as squads 1-10. Squads 11-20 are whatever are reinforcing the company from the Reserve Companies.

Didn't the icons change to close support and fire support? Further muddying the waters 2hen things like incursors (who are a troop) wear the traditionally fast atttac, close support icon

You're confusing the roles in-game army roles and the in-universe battlefield role. The in-universe roles are are Battleline, Close Support and Fire Support (as well as Veterans)

Per the new codex it is the following:

Battleline:

1. Tactical Squads
  2. Intercessor Squads
  3. Infiltrator Squads
  4. Heavy Intercessor Squads

Close Support:

1. Assault Intercessor Squads
  2. Assault Squads
  3. Attack Bike Squads
  4. Attack Bikes
  5. Bike Squads
  6. Centurion Assault Squads
  7. Inceptor Squads
  8. Incursor Squads
  9. Invader ATVs
  10. Land Speeders
  11. Outrider Squads
  12. Reiver Squads
  13. Storm Speeders

Fire Support

1. Aggressor Squads
  2. Centurion Devastator Squads
  3. Devastator Squads
  4. Eliminator Squads
  5. Eradicator Squads
  6. Hellblaster Squads
  7. Suppressor Squads

Incursors role, per the Codex Astartes, is Close Support.

I suspect it's actually just:

• Battleline 1-6
  • Close Assault 7-8
  • Ranged Support 9-10
  • Whatever extra is needed 11-20

Re Valkyrion's comment, it has been discussed in the past that reserve companies change their colour when seconded long enough, and that in some cases 1st co also do.

The second company Reiver squad on GW webstore wear XII and XIII squad markings which fits with....nothing?  Unless the reserve companies change their trim colours when temporarily joining a battle company?

That's exactly what happens. They're not serving in their Reserve Company, they're serving in a Battle Company, and as such will use that company's markings

I suspect it's actually just:

• Battleline 1-6
  • Close Assault 7-8
  • Ranged Support 9-10
  • Whatever extra is needed 11-20

Re Valkyrion's comment, it has been discussed in the past that reserve companies change their colour when seconded long enough, and that in some cases 1st co also do.

Yup, that's how it goes.

Edited by Gederas

I think squad number probably doesn't correlate with role any more. Supposedly every marine is trained to take on whatever role is necessary. I think this means that squad 14 might be intercessors one day, aggressors the next day and suppressors the day after that, with whatever role badge is needed.

To be honest I think the badges are pretty obsolete now. They don't particularly correlate to FOC slots, or even all that closely to the kinds of weapons they're carrying.

Didn't the icons change to close support and fire support? Further muddying the waters 2hen things like incursors (who are a troop) wear the traditionally fast atttac, close support icon

My big bug bear is that Ints are Battleline, Assault Ints are Close Support but Heavy Ints aren't Heavy Support but Battleline instead. It's a daft thing to annoy me buuuuut

So, something I've been wondering about: Are Ints now considered to be 5 man squads instead of 10? So is the usual line up 5 Ints with one being a Sarge, or would a Primaris Tactical squad still be 10 including the Sarge?

I'm currently building my army to be the latter, even markings-wise and was wondering about that.

Based on the above information, the official line is (I think) still 10x10 per company.

If you had a home brew chapter that was 20x5 I'm sure that'd be fine, or even 20 squads, even if some were 3 or some were 10 or whatever. Since our Codex lord and master returned from the grave the Codex so valued by his sons seems borderline redundant now. 

My big bug bear is that Ints are Battleline, Assault Ints are Close Support but Heavy Ints aren't Heavy Support but Battleline instead. It's a daft thing to annoy me buuuuut

Close Support generally means assault focus. Heavy Intercessors are tough but they don't have anti-tank or super long range guns, they're just intercessors+ so they'd be Elites if anything other than troops.

Aggressors being where they are is the dumb thing.

Based on the above information, the official line is (I think) still 10x10 per company.

If you had a home brew chapter that was 20x5 I'm sure that'd be fine, or even 20 squads, even if some were 3 or some were 10 or whatever. Since our Codex lord and master returned from the grave the Codex so valued by his sons seems borderline redundant now. 

I'm far from homebrew - it's the Ultramarines. :) So I'd have the following in a pure Primaris Company

6xbattleline squads (which can be Infiltrators, Intercessors, Hvy Intercessors) - all in Squads of 10 guys 

2xclose support squads (Assault Intercessors, Reivers, Inceptors, Assault Aggressors, Outriders) - essentially 2 Squads of 10 guys which can break up and don the appropriate armour.  So squad 7 splits up into 5 Reivers, 5 Assault Ints, while 8 goes for 3 Agressors, 3 Outriders and 3 Inceptors, with the last brother maybe riding in a tank or whatever (driver for a gladiator or whatever^^)

2xheavy support squads (Infiltrators, Bolter Aggressors, Hellblasters, Eradicators), again splitting up into, say, squad 9 being 3 Infiltrators, 3 Aggressors, 3 Eradicators and the last guy being the gunner of an forementioned gladiator. Squad 10 is 10 Hellblasters.

And then you have company command with the usual suspects.

Does that sound about right?

I have no idea how the three and six man units are meant to work with all this. Do the other two guys just chill out, or are they formed when a squad is at reduced numbers?

The other two dudes are the ones driving vehicles and stuff.