Been gone, now I'm back with a new successor chapter

fluff as it's grown and evolved can be found here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/j2b0pi/successor_chapter_fluff/

since i'm officially returning to my marine and blood angel army i'm rebooting the fluff.

color scheme red except for shoulders and helmets. shoulder pads and helmets are white.new name Angels De MariHomeworld- Flumen Labrum4 primary landmasses/continents, all heavily rivered, and comprising largely of mountains, marsh plains, and mangrove swamps near the coasts8 large seas (though not oceans)separate the landmasseshundreds of islands, many are active volcanoes2 ice caps

The local population offers criminals to the Angels De Mari as sacrifices to the God Emperor. Those sacrifices are used to sate the thirst of brothers who have fallen to the Red Thirst.Chapter's Fortress Monestary is build into the crust of the planet under an ancient star-fort once used to control sealanes from the island it sits on.

The top natural predators of Flumen Labrum are a plethora of crocadillian species, the largest breed typically weighing around 3000lbs, and measuring 10m from snout to tip of tail these live in the blue water seas feasting on nearly everything swimming in the water. They have short legs with broad feet with wide set webbed toes. smaller but no less vicious are a breed of long legged beasts, standing 1.5m from ground to shoulders, and 4m from snout to tail and normally weighing around 1100lbs.

such creatures often easily shrug off attacks from lighter man portable weapons, though flamers have proven very effective at bypassing their thick almost armor like plates that cover their heads and backs, otherwise anti-tank weapons are the most reliable methods of stopping one intent on attacking.

Chapter Leadership

Chapter Master- CarloAge 700Chapter Master Carlo's greatest failure, allowing the greenskin warboss Goldtoof Wurldbreka to escape their duel, after Carlo was seriously injured by a greenskin witch, allowing Goldtoof and his Waaggh to eventually escape, and destroy the Fortress Moon of Exgor before disappearing into the warp.

Chief Chaplain- PietroAge- 300Chaplain Pietro began developing wings, shortly after his transformation into an Astartes, causing him to believe Sanguinius had chosen him to do something important on his behalf. In search of answers as to what that could be Pietro started down the path of a chapter chaplain.

Chief Librarian- VednattoriAge- 450

Fleet Admiral- BrunoAge- 225

Captain of the 1st Company- InigoAge-150

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

You have interesting ideas.

Angels De Mari

Angels of the Sea? Did the Chapter name or rename itself after claiming its oceanic Chapter Planet?

The local population offers criminals to the Angels De Mari as sacrifices to the God Emperor. Those sacrifices are used to sate the thirst of brothers who have fallen to the Red Thirst.

Good ideas. Are the criminals publicly drained of blood to warn the planet's populace, "Be loyal to the Imperium and faithful to the God-Emperor, or [the Marines] will drain you next!"? Or is the draining done in the privacy of the fortress-monastery, to prevent the Inquisition from getting more suspicious of the Chapter?

The top natural predators of Flumen Labrum are a plethora of crocadillian species, the largest breed typically weighing around 3000lbs, and measuring 10m from snout to tip of tail these live in the blue water seas feasting on nearly everything swimming in the water. They have short legs with broad feet with wide set webbed toes. smaller but no less vicious are a breed of long legged beasts, standing 1.5m from ground to shoulders, and 4m from snout to tail and normally weighing around 1100lbs.

You should name these crocodile species. I propose the name "Cruiser crocs" for the short-legged ones, the name directly comparing the beasts to warships, to show how aggressive and dangerous they are; and "Crocotaurs" for the long-legged ones, for how they can run like bulls and how they ram their prey to stun the latter in preparation for a killing blow.

Chapter Master- Carlo...

Chief Chaplain- Pietro...

Chief Librarian- Vednattori...

Fleet Admiral- Bruno...

Captain of the 1st Company- Inigo...

I notice your Special Characters only have one name. Are the Marines required to forsake their surnames upon induction into the Chapter, cutting off their ties to their birth families? Will they get "earned names"- nicknames their peers give them, to commemorate acts of valor- like Catachan colonists?

And is "Fleet Admiral" an additional role one of the Captains serves, or is the title given to the Master of the Forge? (Techmarines do maintain the Chapter's ships, after all.)

Chaplain Pietro began developing wings, shortly after his transformation into an Astartes, causing him to believe Sanguinius had chosen him to do something important on his behalf.

Considering what happened the last time a Blood Angel grew wings, why wasn't Pietro executed as a mutant, a likely Chaos infiltrator, and a potential Daemonhost?

You have interesting ideas.

Angels De Mari

Angels of the Sea? Did the Chapter name or rename itself after claiming its oceanic Chapter Planet?

The local population offers criminals to the Angels De Mari as sacrifices to the God Emperor. Those sacrifices are used to sate the thirst of brothers who have fallen to the Red Thirst.

Good ideas. Are the criminals publicly drained of blood to warn the planet's populace, "Be loyal to the Imperium and faithful to the God-Emperor, or [the Marines] will drain you next!"? Or is the draining done in the privacy of the fortress-monastery, to prevent the Inquisition from getting more suspicious of the Chapter?

You should name these crocodile species. I propose the name "Cruiser crocs" for the short-legged ones, the name directly comparing the beasts to warships, to show how aggressive and dangerous they are; and "Crocotaurs" for the long-legged ones, for how they can run like bulls and how they ram their prey to stun the latter in preparation for a killing blow.

Chapter Master- Carlo...

Chief Chaplain- Pietro...

Chief Librarian- Vednattori...

Fleet Admiral- Bruno...

Captain of the 1st Company- Inigo...

I notice your Special Characters only have one name. Are the Marines required to forsake their surnames upon induction into the Chapter, cutting off their ties to their birth families? Will they get "earned names"- nicknames their peers give them, to commemorate acts of valor- like Catachan colonists?

And is "Fleet Admiral" an additional role one of the Captains serves, or is the title given to the Master of the Forge? (Techmarines do maintain the Chapter's ships, after all.)

Chaplain Pietro began developing wings, shortly after his transformation into an Astartes, causing him to believe Sanguinius had chosen him to do something important on his behalf.

Considering what happened the last time a Blood Angel grew wings, why wasn't Pietro executed as a mutant, a likely Chaos infiltrator, and a potential Daemonhost?

1. i just completely redid my chapter as i couldn't remember specifics of the old chapter's fluff, and renamed them after reading devastation of baal and seeing that there was now a canon chapter with essentially the same name (penitent angels or something like that) i had posts here about my old chapter, but apparently the forums were purged of old posts a few years ago.

2.  the criminals are sent to the Angels in a general sacrifice, no one outside the chapter knows what happens to them from there, but the public perspective is that they're simply sacrificed and never heard from again.

3. hadn't really thought of that, but i am considering using carnosaur models  and the skink version of the carnosaur from the seraphon to model them just for :cusss and giggles.

4. one name because i'm lazy most of them are named after notable italians, Carlo after Carlo Bergamini, i think i named one after an italian priest, Vendatorri just because it's based off of the word vendeta and still sounds italian lol.

fleet admiral is a completely separate roll, typically one given to a captain who has shown extremely adept for void combat, while he doesn't sit on the Trident Council that advises the chapter master like the MoS, CL, or CA do, it's still an extremely high honor, one considered to be second only to the chapter master himself.

5.  while the inquisition might be suspicious, it's hard to outright condemn a winged son of sanguinius since the primarch himself had wings and was clearly not tainted by chaos.

5. while the inquisition might be suspicious, it's hard to outright condemn a winged son of sanguinius since the primarch himself had wings and was clearly not tainted by chaos.

I meant the Chapter Master and/or the Chaplains- who're most likely to learn of an embarrassing incident the Blood Angels will want kept secret from the greater Imperium, as the Successor Chapters must be warned- will judge Pietro tainted, and order him executed, "just in case," dealing with the mutant before word reaches the Inquisition.

a regional map depicting the island the fortress monastery is on, one of the fish/seafood processing hives/manufactorums, and the nearest sparesly inhabited continents

I notice both Mayan and Egyptian pyramids on the map. Did two different xeno species occupy the planet, before the Chapter claimed it? Were the Necrons one of them, as the Egyptian pyramid suggested?

And what do the dragon heads symbolize? The crocodiles' ranges?

5. while the inquisition might be suspicious, it's hard to outright condemn a winged son of sanguinius since the primarch himself had wings and was clearly not tainted by chaos.

I meant the Chapter Master and/or the Chaplains- who're most likely to learn of an embarrassing incident the Blood Angels will want kept secret from the greater Imperium, as the Successor Chapters must be warned- will judge Pietro tainted, and order him executed, "just in case," dealing with the mutant before word reaches the Inquisition.

to judge him tainted without evidence would be no different than judging sangiuinius as tainted, and would just feed into the archenemy, by having the SM kill their own for no reason because of something they did.

a regional map depicting the island the fortress monastery is on, one of the fish/seafood processing hives/manufactorums, and the nearest sparesly inhabited continents

I notice both Mayan and Egyptian pyramids on the map. Did two different xeno species occupy the planet, before the Chapter claimed it? Were the Necrons one of them, as the Egyptian pyramid suggested?

And what do the dragon heads symbolize? The crocodiles' ranges?

nah same species, i just wanted to have one of the sites stand out as more important, and there aren't too many stickers available in pyramid form on that site.

ya, the serpent heads are 'here be monsters'  markings to indicate where the larger crocodilians are likely to be found.

also unfortunately they only have fantasy and some steam punk stickers, as of yet no form of sci-fi stickers are available.

to judge him tainted without evidence would be no different than judging sangiuinius as tainted, and would just feed into the archenemy, by having the SM kill their own for no reason because of something they did.
When Arkio grew wings (which a Daemon implanted, via a corrupted Inquistor), he quickly started a Chapter war that brought the Blood Angels Chapter to the brink of extinction, as detailed in James Swallow's novels.

The damage your Chapter will suffer if its officers judge Pietro "tainted" and subject him to summary execution, is nothing compared to the damage it will suffer if its officers fail to do what's necessary.

When Arkio grew wings (which a Daemon implanted, via a corrupted Inquistor), he quickly started a Chapter war that brought the Blood Angels Chapter to the brink of extinction, as detailed in James Swallow's novels.

The damage your Chapter will suffer if its officers judge Pietro "tainted" and subject him to summary execution, is nothing compared to the damage it will suffer if its officers fail to do what's necessary.

i read the trash that swallow tried to pass of as blood angels novels.

he has wings, the chapter is cool with it. 

Its your sand castle, you can do whatever you want in it. That is a crucial element of the “Your Dudes” factor that is so crucial to this hobby.

However, when your little slice of the hobby starts interacting with the wider parts of the hobby, that’s where things get tricky. Especially when concepts start interacting with official lore (regardless of how good or not that lore is), since Official GW publications are a common element that we all interact with, whereas our ideas and Dudes pretty much only we interact with (besides them being the creators of the lore, for better and worse). So what @Bjorn is gently trying to point out is that there was an officially created piece of lore that was kind of a big deal in setting; that’s something you probably want to address in some way...

...I’m a huge believer of “the quality of a story is often not what happens in it, but how it happens.” A good storyteller or comedian can keep you riveted with a shaggy dog story and you may walk away far more satisfied than the most inventive twistiest turniest tale ever if it’s not well delivered and enjoyable. So for a BA-Successor Chaplain to have grown wings, it can be cool, but I would posit that for others to find it cool, perhaps some further backstory is created. Perhaps the trials the Chaplain went through, or that he was tested by xyz and proven to be ok, etc... would help explain the in-setting acceptance of such a feature. Don’t forget, Sanguinius was the only BA (or any chapter) to have natural wings, and even he was considered a mutant by some (like Angron). And 40K is a dark setting based on all sorts of superstition, so it would be almost immersion-breaking for in-setting characters not to react upon seeing someone with natural wings, especially given the whole arc of Swallow’s tale (love it or hate it).

Imagine if I create a Successor chapter who is led by Bob, who has served as Chapter Master for 2000 years. In and of itself that’s one thing, but it would be extremely odd, if not immersion-breaking, if he was not always compared to Dante who in-setting is considered the longest living/serving non-Dreadnought in the Imperium. Dante is the official/collective goalpost, if you will...so it’s not impossible to go past that goalpost, but if you do not acknowledge said goalpost at all, it can be far harder for others to get onboard with.

...but it’s Your Dudes so others don’t have to get onboard with it...but if you want others to enjoy what you do about Your Dudes factoring such things in can go a long way.

You’ve put a ton of thought and detail into your chapter which I want to acknowledge and recognize (the crocodile part is interesting and I’m trying to see how it all comes together) so I do not want to harp on it or discourage you. But hopefully you can get how a detail like a BA growing wings can be tricky for some us to just hand-waive away.

But enough about that...

What was your inspiration for this chapter? Was there a certain “ah-ha!” Moment that caused it to come into being? Any real world events that got the juices flowing? The combination of elements (seafaring Italians who fight off gigantic crocodiles is the mental image I’m getting, at the risk of reducing it far too much) so I’m intrigued as to what your muse is.

Its your sand castle, you can do whatever you want in it. That is a crucial element of the “Your Dudes” factor that is so crucial to this hobby.

However, when your little slice of the hobby starts interacting with the wider parts of the hobby, that’s where things get tricky. Especially when concepts start interacting with official lore (regardless of how good or not that lore is), since Official GW publications are a common element that we all interact with, whereas our ideas and Dudes pretty much only we interact with (besides them being the creators of the lore, for better and worse). So what @Bjorn is gently trying to point out is that there was an officially created piece of lore that was kind of a big deal in setting; that’s something you probably want to address in some way...

...I’m a huge believer of “the quality of a story is often not what happens in it, but how it happens.” A good storyteller or comedian can keep you riveted with a shaggy dog story and you may walk away far more satisfied than the most inventive twistiest turniest tale ever if it’s not well delivered and enjoyable. So for a BA-Successor Chaplain to have grown wings, it can be cool, but I would posit that for others to find it cool, perhaps some further backstory is created. Perhaps the trials the Chaplain went through, or that he was tested by xyz and proven to be ok, etc... would help explain the in-setting acceptance of such a feature. Don’t forget, Sanguinius was the only BA (or any chapter) to have natural wings, and even he was considered a mutant by some (like Angron). And 40K is a dark setting based on all sorts of superstition, so it would be almost immersion-breaking for in-setting characters not to react upon seeing someone with natural wings, especially given the whole arc of Swallow’s tale (love it or hate it).

Imagine if I create a Successor chapter who is led by Bob, who has served as Chapter Master for 2000 years. In and of itself that’s one thing, but it would be extremely odd, if not immersion-breaking, if he was not always compared to Dante who in-setting is considered the longest living/serving non-Dreadnought in the Imperium. Dante is the official/collective goalpost, if you will...so it’s not impossible to go past that goalpost, but if you do not acknowledge said goalpost at all, it can be far harder for others to get onboard with.

...but it’s Your Dudes so others don’t have to get onboard with it...but if you want others to enjoy what you do about Your Dudes factoring such things in can go a long way.

You’ve put a ton of thought and detail into your chapter which I want to acknowledge and recognize (the crocodile part is interesting and I’m trying to see how it all comes together) so I do not want to harp on it or discourage you. But hopefully you can get how a detail like a BA growing wings can be tricky for some us to just hand-waive away.

But enough about that...

What was your inspiration for this chapter? Was there a certain “ah-ha!” Moment that caused it to come into being? Any real world events that got the juices flowing? The combination of elements (seafaring Italians who fight off gigantic crocodiles is the mental image I’m getting, at the risk of reducing it far too much) so I’m intrigued as to what your muse is.

thanks for the lecture, but as i said, i'm perfectly aware of that series, read it, i acknowledge it's canon, but the blood angels, and the angels de mari are both different chapters with different views.  the wings don't have to be liked by everyone, just like the chapter is fully aware some would look at pietro and by extension the chapter with some suspicion, but like i said  their view being "without evidence they cannot accuse pietro of being touched/tainted by chaos without implying or outright saying sanguinius was as well, but an inquisitor or another chapter would have to be reeallly sure that pietro and the angels were corrupt to engage in a campaign against them, seeing as going to war with a space marine chapter on it's own is a daunting task, and most chapters have other chapters that are allied and even some other imperial worlds and/or loyal IG generals/warlords. also sets up a fluff explanation for games against imperial factions...

as for inspiration, when i came back to the hobby i returned initially to my IG, and wasn't sold on the primaris marines and couldn't justify buying a new codex only to use half or less of the data sheets (firstborn only), but then the new stormspeeders and heavy intercessors were revealed, and i was partial to aggressors from the start, but the new speeders really kind of pushed me over the side, as the ironhale speeder or whatever it's named really reminded me actual gunboats or FAC/FIAC in naval terms (dropped out of the hobby because i was busy in the navy). 

speeder heavy would make sense on a world that was largely seas and marshes, and crocidilians would most likely be inhabiting marsh/swamplands, and space marine homeworlds have to have something that makes them particularly harsh/dangerous, so giant crocs it is.

The Angels de Mari are a 5th Founding chapter.

When the world of Flumen Labrum was first colonized mankind found a species of intelligent lizard folk living on the continents. Mankind established their early colonies on the many islands scattered about and lived in relative peace with the natives of the planet...in as much peace as humans can possibly live in. Despite having superior technology and weapons humans simply didn't have the numbers to take control of the planet. 
The human population exploded during the Age of Strife, but by the time humanity had the numbers to challenge the lizard folk their technological capabilities had reverted that of the Terran Industrial Revolution level of technology.

When the Great Crusade rediscovered Flumen Labrum the Lizardfolk were exterminated, and their witchcraft eliminated, the Angels however utilize one of the lizard folk's ancient pyramids, the chapter's chaplains and librarians work together to find a cure for their genetic curses believing that it may be a warp echo of their Primarch's dying emotions. Over the centuries rumors of lizard folk living amongst the mangrove swamps have circulated, however all Arbites investigations into reported sightings have repeatedly turned up nothing.

When the world of Flumen Labrum was first colonized mankind found a species of intelligent lizard folk living on the continents. Mankind established their early colonies on the many islands scattered about and lived in relative peace with the natives of the planet...in as much peace as humans can possibly live in. Despite having superior technology and weapons humans simply didn't have the numbers to take control of the planet.

The human population exploded during the Age of Strife, but by the time humanity had the numbers to challenge the lizard folk their technological capabilities had reverted that of the Terran Industrial Revolution level of technology.

To explain the humans' technological regression, I think it makes more sense to say the colonists fought multiple, extended, low to moderate intensity wars with the lizardmen, during which the xenos used "witchcraft" to counter the humans' high technology (maybe with electromagnetic pulses and psychic lightning), forcing the readoption of Industrial Revolution-era technology (which is more resistant to electromagnetic pulses and electrical discharges the xenos used as weapons).

To explain the humans' technological regression, I think it makes more sense to say the colonists fought multiple, extended, low to moderate intensity wars with the lizardmen, during which the xenos used "witchcraft" to counter the humans' high technology (maybe with electromagnetic pulses and psychic lightning), forcing the readoption of Industrial Revolution-era technology (which is more resistant to electromagnetic pulses and electrical discharges the xenos used as weapons).

ya that part definitely needs some polishing, and i'll be working on smoothing it out.

Some questions:

- What’s your inspiration for the name?

- How is the Chapter organized? Do it follow the Blood Angels organization? Is it a Codex chapter? Or is it something different?

- How do they treat those that have fallen to the Black Rage?

- Do they have any notable cultural quirks?

- Any specific enemies of friends?

- Any unusual nomenclature?

- Any special relationship with the Blood Angels and/or other BA successors?

Something else that could be used, possibly together with Bjorns suggestion, is that the metals needed to make new tech was in low amount on the planet, making it hard to create new stuff without having to scrap already existing stuff for their metal. Which would make advanced tech more and more scares as the population expanded and most of them had to make do with wood, bone, leather and flint items.

Edited by Gamiel

Some questions:

- What’s your inspiration for the name?

- How is the Chapter organized? Do it follow the Blood Angels organization? Is it a Codex chapter? Or is it something different?

- How do they treat those that have fallen to the Black Rage?

- Do they have any notable cultural quirks?

- Any specific enemies of friends?

- Any unusual nomenclature?

- Any special relationship with the Blood Angels and/or other BA successors?

Something else that could be used, possibly together with Bjorns suggestion, is that the metals needed to make new tech was in low amount on the planet, making it hard to create new stuff without having to scrap already existing stuff for their metal. Which would make advanced tech more and more scares as the population expanded and most of them had to make do with wood, bone, leather and flint items.

Chapter Organization is in the reddit post linked in the 1st post

inspiration is just an over simplified description of the chapter, but in latin. they're blood angels, they hail from the sea, thus angels of/from the sea

as mentioned above the admiral of the fleet post is essentially the Chapter's second in command and historically chosen to become the new chapter master when the time comes to choose one (or steps in temporarily should the chapter master fall in battle until a new chapter master is formally selected)

since the return of girlyman and the devastation of baal, Carlo sees his chapter not necessarily as subservient to the BA but he views his chapter as part of the 9th legion should it's return be announced. before those events it was rare but not unheard of for chapter masters to visit baal and the birthplace of sanguinius.

chapter master carlo is still searching for Goldtoof Wurldbreka, but aside from that no specific enemies, as for allies good relations with all other planets in the system resulting in strong defensive ties, but that's about it.

Sorry, had missed that when I looked

inspiration is just an over simplified description of the chapter, but in latin. they're blood angels, they hail from the sea, thus angels of/from the sea

Based on the name, do they have any sea based elements in their iconography, nomenclature, titles or similar?

Sorry, had missed that when I looked

Based on the name, do they have any sea based elements in their iconography, nomenclature, titles or similar?

chapter symbol is a trident, and several characters will use power or force tridents as weapons. using shoulder pads from popgoesthemonkey for trident chapter badges

and aside from Fleet Admiral no maritime related titles

chapter symbol is a trident, and several characters will use power or force tridents as weapons. using shoulder pads from popgoesthemonkey for trident chapter badges

If you want to make the Angels De Mari a bit different do I think that maybe using sea based elements could be a way (I don't think we have had any BA successors with something sea based), another way could be to use Italian titles/words for ranks and such (since your characters names was Italian-ish). Or maybe combine and focus on Italian marine culture / titles / such.

Just suggestions.

If you want to make the Angels De Mari a bit different do I think that maybe using sea based elements could be a way (I don't think we have had any BA successors with something sea based), another way could be to use Italian titles/words for ranks and such (since your characters names was Italian-ish). Or maybe combine and focus on Italian marine culture / titles / such.

Just suggestions.

as i've said they will rely heavily on speeders which would be used similar to FAC or river gunboats, while aircraft would be roughly equivalent to corvettes, and the focus on speeders is a result of their homeworld being largely sea, and swamp/marshland. speeders can navigate more easily over swampy ground than bikes, or infantry, and can move swiftly along the many rivers and their tributaries.

think of the new stormspeeder ironstrike or ironhalestrike or whatever as a US vietnam era PBR (guns, and guns)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrol_Boat,_River

hammer strike as an iranian CAT-14 (guns and MLRS)

https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/ships/ships-other/61558/view/iis_cat_14_patrol_boat__iran/

thunderstrike is a bit harder to find a modern(ish) counterpart for, but maybe like combattante III or something similar (big gun, and missiles)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Combattante_III-class_fast_attack_craft

thunderhawks would be something along the lines of an LCS(L)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_LCS(L)(3)-102

Stormraven would be similar to a MK VI boat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_VI_patrol_boat

stormtalon something like a SOC-R maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Operations_Craft_%E2%80%93_Riverine_(SOC-R)

• 1 month later...

a few weeks ago, i bought tridents and shoulderpads with tridents on them for my successor chapter. i put them on an island on a planet that is mostly seas...and now today i find out that GW created a new BA successor chapter called the atlantean spears that use a trident as their chapter badge.

i'm not saying they stole my ideas, just great minds think alike, but now people i play will think i'm unoriginal which is slightly miffing.