Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vague rumours of a new race coming to 40k.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,446 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
I was watching the Long War live and they mentioned that they had received a rumour from a source that took great lengths to remain anonymous.

Anyways.. The word is that an entirely new Xenos race is coming to 40k.

They are called the Anerith or something similar, and are apparently connected to one of the unknown Xenos species on that unique artwork in the latest rulebook.

The lore is that the race has been targeted by the Tyranids because the Hivemind wants their unique ability to be absorbed. The ability in question is time manipulation - being able to rewind time or move forwards.
  • Warhead01, sairence and Aztek like this

-~Ishagu~-

tangoalphatwo

tangoalphatwo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 346 posts
Interesting. Could be cool. I know in the lore there are a lot of races that are not represented on the table top, so we will see. Exciting nonetheless

Edited by tangoalphatwo, 16 October 2020 - 01:51 AM.

Cpt_Reaper

Cpt_Reaper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,307 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Shadow

That description is very similar to the Hrud. if it is indeed true, I can only imagine Hrud fans would be most upset. Why invent a new time-altering species when the Hrud exist?

take a shot every time I say Hrud

• Felix Antipodes, evilhomer, RolandTHTG and 4 others like this

Malakithe

Malakithe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 416 posts

A species capable of time manipulation? That seems a bit too much. A power like that in a widespread setting would be almost unstoppable to contend with

• MechaMan likes this

StrangerOrders

StrangerOrders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 675 posts
  • Faction: 40k: CW, SW, BA. 30k: EC, TS

I... I am really nervous about this after last edition.

There are still alot of armies in dire need of updates (coughEldar/Guard/Orkscough) last edition was sort of the king of 'add factions rather than update stuff or add to existing factions' so I am not sure this is a good idea. 

If this is true, I hope GW is at least planning to throw those factions a bone beforehand.

Edited by StrangerOrders, 16 October 2020 - 02:57 AM.

• Doghouse, Dumah, Volt and 2 others like this

Have a lovely daybiggrin.png

Incidentally, I like to commit the cardinal sin of writing fanfiction: https://forums.space.../#post-41266642

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,248 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

Time Manipulation? Excuse me but don't we already do that with the warp, the Necrons kind of do it with their 5 year old shield ("nu-uh, you didn't hit me, I had my mega shield up"), about 20 different seers of the future claiming the end of time, space and reality if they don't win, another motley crew from eras past who claim to have ruled the stars and now barely can keep their hands on their zimmer frame and finally we have those in the present from the past who saw the future that the future came from the past by the present to ensure the past never got the future to the present...or something.

Sorry, not buying. An entire new race with the new primaris just coming to close? Other ranges in dire need...would be a big faux pas imo and not within their scope right now. Not to mention I don't think anyone is asking for new races right now...if anything getting kind of tired of it. If this is true this race is going to be the GW go to for fixing narrative things they don't like, more so than the warp!

• Volt likes this

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

Scribe

Scribe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,828 posts
  • Faction: Khorne

I... I am really nervous about this after last edition.

There are still alot of armies in dire need of updates (coughEldar/Guard/Orkscough) last edition was sort of the king of 'add factions rather than update stuff or add to existing factions' so I am not sure this is a good idea. 

If this is true, I hope GW is at least planning to throw those factions a bone beforehand.

Kinda this.

When I look at other franchises within GW's Stable that do not seem bothered with keeping things updated, and are just 'heres a new faction, heres a new faction' its kind of a mess.

Update the rest of the game, considering we are getting Marines The Full Reboot, before we get down to adding new races.

DISOBEY

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Reinhard

Reinhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,339 posts

seems like a far fetch indeed.

Time manipulation sounds like an excuse to introduce retcons. And we already get those, and we can already have warp time manipulation.

It sounds like a poor theme for the design of a model range? (But then again, I wouldn't have though the best fantasy range would end up being sea elves with floating sharks and turtles)

It just seems.... unlikely

Bulwyf

Bulwyf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,529 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

The only race that should be "new" to add to the game are Squats. Bring Squats back.

• Master Sheol, Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra, evilhomer and 15 others like this
40kDGBanner

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

++ CRUDIOR ÆTERNO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,197 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines, Necrons

seems like a far fetch indeed.

Time manipulation sounds like an excuse to introduce retcons. And we already get those, and we can already have warp time manipulation.

Orikan the Diviner also does this. He literally goes back in time to retcon things If they don’t match up his predictions. I think he wiped an entire company of marines to save face with some Lord. If GW wants retcons they can do it with the guy that in universe already does that.

Dosjeska: But then again we are Iron Hands, we will use a hammer as a scalpel. Ace Debonair: Loyalists bow to The Emperor, Heretics bow to their Dark Gods, but everybody bows to Captain Semper. Brian Blaire: Bolted for emphasis
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon [][] Laus Alit Artes-Praise Nourishes the Arts
gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpgDawn Blades Iron Gauntlet Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Workshopgallery_26154_15777_16051.png
Dawn Blades: W/L/D: 2/9/1 wh40k 8th 0/0/0 Kill Team
Naculan Dynasty: W/L/D: 0/0/0 wh40k 8th 1/1/0 Kill Team

Commander Dawnstar

Commander Dawnstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,148 posts
  • Faction: Ksi'm'yen.

While I'm not at all sure if I believe this (and personally would rather see GW revamp outdated xenos ranges rather than introduce wholly new factions), it reminds me more than a little of the entry on Warzone Laevenir in the 9th Edition core rulebook. That piece makes mention of the Aeldari working to keep a Tyranid hive fleet from integrating the DNA of an alien species they call Those Who Evade The Crone, fearing it might allow them to acquire the "bizarre time dilatory side effects" that baffle their Farseers' efforts to track said species in the skeins of fate. There's also mention in the section on the forces present of an unidentified species (from the Imperium's perspective) that had induced rapid entropy on equipment used to record it, an effect acknowledged as similar to that caused by the Hrud.

Obviously this might be something entirely different, or perhaps someone just trying to spin a lore tidbit from the rulebook as a genuine rumor.

• RolandTHTG, apologist, Reigart and 5 others like this

gallery_48988_15465_42927.pnggallery_48988_15465_1202.pnggallery_48988_15465_21744.png

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,161 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech

I Guess... Only Time will Tell msn-wink.gif ... biggrin.png .

Mithril

• Firedrake Cordova, Redrandy93, Magos Takatus and 16 others like this

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Knockagh

Knockagh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,222 posts
Another race to be abandoned and forgotten by GW. Please no. Eldar fans have been waiting for years for some attention.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Everything that's not Space Marines is appreciated at this point, really.

• Spaced Hulk, Dumah, Xenith and 8 others like this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Captain Coolpants

Captain Coolpants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,130 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
As far as we know, it might not be true time manipulation, and more advanced precognition?

Or possibly, it is time manipulation, but only seconds ahead or behind in time?
Seconds may sound pointless, but a mass of swarming tyranids going back 2 seconds to take 1 less step to avoid being blasted would be very significant "fluff wise" indeed.
Game wise probably just re-rolls lol.

Im absolutely all for the introduction of a new race! A non humanoid race preferably!
But I also agree that we definitely neeeeed the current ranges updated first. Or at least in unison with 2 races in a battle box.

Edited by Captain Coolpants, 16 October 2020 - 05:54 AM.

• Detjan likes this

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,024 posts

I'm dubious here, this feels like it might be a far fetched conjecture conjured out of a combination of those placeholder codex covers and that warzone from the rulebook. Equally, its not impossible that the warzone was deliberately setting something up for the future, just not very likely.

• Detjan likes this

Reinhard

Reinhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,339 posts

Another race to be abandoned and forgotten by GW. Please no. Eldar fans have been waiting for years for some attention.

Eldar got some drop feed at the start of PA last year. Even guard has gotten some token models, works have gotten thraka, and the speed freaks some while back.
Not saying what they've gotten is enough.
Getting necron style refresh would be the wet dream, but those only come ever so often.

I'd actually like to see more marines in the form that we have still lack the rather obviously missing WE and EC.
  • Dracos, General Strike and Detjan like this

Quantum

Quantum

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,022 posts
  • Faction: Forge World Fermya

New xenos? Yes please! For setting with a galaxy filled with alien threats there is far too much emphasis on the conflict between man and his dark twin.

But I must admit, a xeno species that manipulates time? That does not resonate with me. Not yet, anyway. I will have to see the full lore and models. But for the love of the Emperor, GW, don't make their background lore two-dimensional. We have enough Hurr! Evil! factions as it is.

Edited by Quantum, 16 October 2020 - 10:26 AM.

• apologist likes this

"The Nova Terra Interregnum has been remembered unfairly by those few who remember it at all. True, many malcontents, provocateurs and petty lordlings flocked to its banner when it seceded. But its attempts to contain the aggressive expansion of the Ecclesiarchy were born from an honest desire to uphold those values at the hart of the Great Crusade. It is ironic that the last gasp of the Emperor's true vision was finally throttled at the hands of those who fought in His divine name, on the planet that once reminded our Lord of 'Urf, long ago...'"
                        - Archivist & Historian Vedek Parsen, pilloried, emasculated, hung, drawn, crucified, quartered, burnt and disintegrated for heresy extremus. Probably in that order.

gallery_48988_15465_39461.pnggallery_48988_15465_5172.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,827 posts

Im on the boat of revamping existing factions.

• Master Sheol, PJ1933, Volt and 2 others like this

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,885 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!
Not that I wouldn't love to see something genuinely new. Personally I love a lot of what is going on in AoS in terms of new races, but there's still so much that needs updating in the existing 40k ranges. Craftworld Eldar for example are heavily reliant on finecast kits, have core plastics that are 20 years old and even have models considered "current" which date back to second edition.

All that said, I have to echo Panzer. Anything that isn't more Marines is welcome at this point. If the choice is new Xenos or nothing, then obviously I'll take new Xenos.
  • Panzer and Detjan like this

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpg

Putrid Choir

Putrid Choir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 636 posts

Im on the boat of revamping existing factions.

Metoo. Get everything into plastic. Update the factions that need it. If anything, for a "new" faction, they could do World Eaters or Emperor's Children proper like Death Guard and Thousand Sons with a splash of new units and codex.

But if it has to be a new faction, at least it's not <imperium>...
  • Master Sheol, Sete and Detjan like this

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,683 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

New Xenos race you say? *Stares at Eldar minis older than most players I know* Nope, not interested... 

Unless by new they mean 'doesnt have a codex or playable index' and they bring Squats back. Then they will have all of my interest. 

• Knockagh likes this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Avenge me Brother, AVENGE ME!!!'' *pffft* - Unknown Black Templar, cleansing of the Furry homeworld

Subtleknife

Subtleknife

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 789 posts
I honestly hope not. There are so many factions that need brining into the 41st millennium so to speak. Elder, Guard,Orks etc could all do eith a range refresh.
  • Redrandy93 likes this

apologist

apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,270 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

Thanks for sharing the rumour – always good to hear of expansions into new regions of 40k. I'd love to see some new species appear. This might simply be someone spinning out from the hint in the new rulebook that Commander Dawnstar highlighted; but there's no real harm in that.

Updates are nice – vital even – but nothing beats the thrill of seeing entire new species and screeds of lore for me. It's the difference between buying the groceries and having a treat! smile.png

The best thing is that it's not an either/or choice. From what I understand, 40k's got a huge team now; it's entirely possible that we'll see a much more rapid turnover of updates and new forces than in the past.

Edited by apologist, 16 October 2020 - 07:53 AM.

• Spaced Hulk, mithrilforge, Blindhamster and 4 others like this

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Urkh

Urkh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 753 posts

. But for the love of the Emperor, GW, don't make their background lore two-dimensional. 

Well, if their power is time manipulation, then they're lore is already four dimensional!

• Cactus, Dosjetka, DeadFingers and 2 others like this
By performing the Emperor's Will, we will show the Xenos the Emperor's wrath, the Traitor his intolerance, and our brethren what his will actually is!

Thread to my first time painting: http://www.bolterand...howtopic=247791
Battle Report/more paintingThread: http://www.bolterand...howtopic=269066

http://www.fortresso...ates_Banner.jpg
ETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users