Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vague rumours of a new race coming to 40k.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,028 posts

Isn't the Long War podcast basically run by Spikey Bits? Given their track record, I don't believe this at all. For Spikey Bits to be the first to hear of something of this magnitude - with actual specific information about the race that is clearly based off a pre-existing faction - seems about as likely as GW spontaneously announcing that they're leaving the wargaming business and starting their own football team.

I have an uncle who works for Spikey Bits and he told me the guy who told them had given them some solid intel before like theres going to be more Primaris releases
  • Shadow Captain Vyper, Sandlemad, Marshal Loss and 4 others like this

Jings

Jings

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 214 posts

The only race that should be "new" to add to the game are Squats. Bring Squats back.

I'm torn. I would love to see Squats and would definitely build an army despite my extensive pile of shame but...

...do we really need more Imperial armies?

I very much subscribe to ADB's theory that the Demiurg are Squats who aligned themselves with the Tau post-nomming out of spite because the Imperium didn't bother saving them. Probably the best way to reintroduce them as major players to the setting after all this time without it causing major lore issues. Would also explain a lot of the mysteriousness regarding the Demiurg - while they're still degenerate abhumans in the eyes of the Imperium, outside of the warp-aligned heretics there's nothing more abhorrent to Imperials than humans subservient to Xenos so they've been keeping their heads (further) down while they rebuild with the assistance of the Tau. 

But I kinda want a lot of Xenos to have some sort of human elements (Gue'Vesa, Ork Humie Slaves, AdNec cultists (Void Dragon), Deldar Arena Champs etc.) to further emphasize exactly why alien co-operation is out of the question, but that's neither here nor there. 

Edited by Jings, 16 October 2020 - 01:21 PM.

• Dracos and RikuEru like this

Raven1

Raven1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,059 posts

Does this rumour tie in with the War Zone: Laevenir entry in the 9th Ed rule book?

"Laevenir was home to a number of vicious, unique alien species. The race known to the Kinshara Aeldari as Those WHo Evade the Crone possessed a strange genetic makeup with bizarre time dilatory side effects that made them difficult to track in the Farseers' skeins of fate. Should the alien DNA fall into the open maw of the hive fleet, the abominations that might be spawned where terrifying to even contemplate."

I thought of this exact thing when I heard it. I doubt it's less a "rumor" and more an inference based on that small portion of the 9th core book.

gallery_33260_13323_10404.pnggallery_33260_13323_11012.pngETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_02_.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Chaos_DemonsETL_Medal_01.gif

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,888 posts
Spikey bits updated there rumor to say it's the mushroom things on the cover and gives on the nose name to them.

I'm going with very wishful thinking
banana

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,775 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

Hope the Rangdan make a return and are as op as befits their lore.

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,399 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

The Khrave should still be around, they would make for a pretty cool addition.

I agree, this is probably wishful thinking. Not really convinced.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion, 16 October 2020 - 01:30 PM.

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Seahawk

Seahawk

++ OSSIFRAGUS PRAECURSORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 9,321 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
The article in question: https://spikeybits.c...in-january.html
  • N1SB likes this

Fluff: Naval Operations of Ultramar. Also includes all known named ships for all chapters, as well as ship sizes and assorted information.

Personal: The Renegade Hobbyist. This is where I do things! Also, follow me on Twitter at @Atomic_Hamsters.

Post link for all the instances in which Reanimation Protocols doesn't activate, but should. 

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,627 posts

Just a few extras I wasn't specific on in the original post:

-apparently the model range will set a new standard for 40k models, in the way that some of the new AoS factions have been so incredible, visually.

-the time manipulation does sound like it's very limited - only minutes or seconds. What I imagine on the tabletop is undoing a movement, or changing position out of turn - things like that?

I agree with all points of view so far in response. Yes, some factions definitely need many of their models to be updated. At the same time a whole new faction will create buzz, hype and excitement because it's such an unknown quantity.

Yes it's incredible how stupid are the current models of AoS :D

However 40K dont need a new race that is not the return of squats

• Slave to Darkness likes this
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

quasistellar

quasistellar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 335 posts

Isn't the Long War podcast basically run by Spikey Bits? Given their track record, I don't believe this at all. For Spikey Bits to be the first to hear of something of this magnitude - with actual specific information about the race that is clearly based off a pre-existing faction - seems about as likely as GW spontaneously announcing that they're leaving the wargaming business and starting their own football team.

To be fair to those guys, they DO acknowledge that it's just a rumor and they're having a bit of fun speculating.  Yeah the spikeybits website is click-bait and I never actually visit it myself, but I enjoy the podcast quite a bit.

• Juggernut and Rune Priest Jbickb like this

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,898 posts

So 40k Sylvaneth?

While new stuff is always cool the game is bloated with armies as it is. I think the game would be better served with updating what we have and maybe introducing new races via the Tau.

SirVulkan

SirVulkan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 135 posts

I think they should stick to their current strategy of updating all of the current ranges.  Balancing will become even harder with each permutation they add.

• Doghouse and Volt like this

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,399 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

I mean, they start the article with 'Grab your tin foil hats', and even said someone could just be trolling them. As much as their track record is, in this case they've clearly said to take it with a pile of salt.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion, 16 October 2020 - 01:59 PM.

• quasistellar likes this

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,757 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

Everything that's not Space Marines is appreciated at this point, really.

Don't Monkey's Paw us getting a race of experimental Xenos (Primaris) Marine auxiliaries the Emperor secretly had Cawl experiment on and keep in storage.

Anyway, other than Ishagu being the one posting this, the other reasons I'm disinclined to believe this is because I don't believe GW would have another edition and then immediately release a brand spanking new xenos race out of the blue when we all know featuring in a new edition's core set(s) is one of the better ways to drive sales for that army - look at how Death Guard turned out. A few years into an edition? Yeah, I could believe that but not literally months after. Secondly it's no secret GW is trying to milk that Primaris cow until it produces blood and I just don't see them throwing another Xenos race into the mix when their last effort, Genestealer Cults, whilst no doubt successful is definitely the least popular non-Harlequin 'main' army outside of occasional tournament success.

I know GW generally doesn't subscribe to silly things like logic, but I just really do not see anymore Xenos who aren't spin-offs (Kroot, etc) landing before World Eaters, Emperor's Children or even Lost and Damned.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to be wrong.

Edited by Lord Marshal, 16 October 2020 - 02:19 PM.

• Slave to Darkness likes this
gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.png

Quantum

Quantum

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,022 posts
  • Faction: Forge World Fermya

Does this rumour tie in with the War Zone: Laevenir entry in the 9th Ed rule book?

"Laevenir was home to a number of vicious, unique alien species. The race known to the Kinshara Aeldari as Those WHo Evade the Crone possessed a strange genetic makeup with bizarre time dilatory side effects that made them difficult to track in the Farseers' skeins of fate. Should the alien DNA fall into the open maw of the hive fleet, the abominations that might be spawned where terrifying to even contemplate."

I thought of this exact thing when I heard it. I doubt it's less a "rumor" and more an inference based on that small portion of the 9th core book.

Indeed. I remember when 'War of the Spider' was revealed reading about rumors of new Warp Spiders...

"The Nova Terra Interregnum has been remembered unfairly by those few who remember it at all. True, many malcontents, provocateurs and petty lordlings flocked to its banner when it seceded. But its attempts to contain the aggressive expansion of the Ecclesiarchy were born from an honest desire to uphold those values at the hart of the Great Crusade. It is ironic that the last gasp of the Emperor's true vision was finally throttled at the hands of those who fought in His divine name, on the planet that once reminded our Lord of 'Urf, long ago...'"
                        - Archivist & Historian Vedek Parsen, pilloried, emasculated, hung, drawn, crucified, quartered, burnt and disintegrated for heresy extremus. Probably in that order.

gallery_48988_15465_39461.pnggallery_48988_15465_5172.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 937 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

Have Spikey Bits ever produced a genuine leak first? They seem to just pick up on what other more established insiders put out and stretch it more. They practically copy Valrak post for post most of the time.

• RikuEru likes this

PJ1933

PJ1933

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,121 posts

I'm with many others here a new race would be cool but they have much more they could and should be doing within the existing ranges that aren't marines to bring them up to date.

That said I wouldn't put it past GW to move onto new shiny but lets hope that new amazing AoS style model design doesn't take cues from Nighthaunt with their tiny single point of contact between model and base. They look cool but they also like to snap themselves just by breathing on them hard

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 451 posts

I have an uncle who works for Spikey Bits and he told me the guy who told them had given them some solid intel before like theres going to be more Primaris releases

I mean my mom could have foreseen that. More Primaris is the surest bet one can make when it comes to 40k

Reigart

Reigart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 58 posts

It wouldn't surprise me if they were to introduce an entirely new faction.  GW does have a good amount of IP to draw upon.

Personally, though I'd want Kroot to flushed out (again).  A mercenary type army that selectively mutates, but could have more individual character than Tyranids.  Done correctly, they could be a really poor man's version of deathwatch for xenos.  Their wargear would just be options from other races.  Then add some tribes/clans evolutionary traits, and BAM!  This would also setup the inevitable Alien v. Predator memes (again).  Unfortunately, I don't see many new range refreshes for xenos on the horizon given that Necrons just got one (I'm not saying they are not needed).

I don't see Tyranids getting a range refresh for at least 2 editions.  Necrons were just released, so next non-Space Marine will probably a chaos, maybe a traitor Primarch (Angron or Fulgrim [VALRAK incoming]) and maybe Tyranids.*  I only see them doing Tyranids after the Silent King kills a hive fleet and they need to adapt (for a couple of editions).

That puts my hopes of a true Kroot army to 2024.

*Space marines assumed to get new stuff every time a different factions gets at least one thing**

**Thing can mean, but is not limited to: rules, models, white dwarf articles, warcom article mentions, a favorable tweet by a GW employee, a trolling mention on the whiteboard of a GW employee, the sun rising, the sun setting, overcast conditions that negate visibility of the sun, a nuclear winter

Edited by Reigart, 16 October 2020 - 03:35 PM.

Mandragola

Mandragola

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,965 posts

GW could certainly bring out a new xenos race. They seem to quite like bringing out new races - just look at AOS. Another new race of elves comes out every couple of weeks.

I think they've reached a point now where they feel that most existing races have a good enough range. This suggests an approach something like:

1. Release more and more Primaris.
  2. Continue to ignore Eldar.
  3. Release entirely new races.

Ignoring Eldar makes sense because it's kind of an impossible range to bring out in plastic. They'd have to make something like five new aspect warrior kits for units that are almost all terrible in the game, so nobody would buy them. Not a good investment, and Eldar have enough crazy other stuff to work very well as an army. Nobody much would start a new Eldar army if they released plastic striking scorpions, or whatever. So instead, they can release a whole new range of something completely different, and people will have to buy entirely new armies from scratch.

• Jings likes this

C+C always welcome on my Titanic Plog. Should really be painting Crimson Fists.

gallery_48988_15151_9524.pnggallery_45765_12339_6416.pnggallery_48988_16045_14557.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_6255.png

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,445 posts
I imagine the GW design studio would be very happy to work on a whole new faction that isn't restricted by existing lore or aesthetics.

The last new race that was introduced - that had no significant presence in the Lore - were the Tau, right? That was a while back.

Edited by Ishagu, 16 October 2020 - 03:38 PM.

-~Ishagu~-

Reigart

Reigart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 58 posts

I imagine the GW design studio would be very happy to work on a whole new faction that isn't restricted by existing lore or aesthetics.

The last new race that was introduced - that had no significant presence in the Lore - were the Tau, right? That was a while back.

Or was it GSC? I took some editions off. So not sure. If it was, you can't be blamed because GW also forgot about them

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,445 posts
GSC has some funky models and old lore back in the prehistoric days of 40k. But they were the most recent re-fresh of a faction, yes.

-~Ishagu~-

Scribe

Scribe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,828 posts
  • Faction: Khorne
Adding something completely divorced from existing lore seems foolish.

They took a long time to fit Tau into the setting.

There is so damn much they need to update considering all the time lost on Marines.
  • Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra, Volt and Putrid Choir like this

DISOBEY

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,885 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

I think this is the main thing making it viable. A lot of GWs best design work lately has been in AoS where they are free to be outlandish and wacky if they want to be.

It can't be that inspiring as a designer to be asked to re-sculpt a slightly different Tactical Squad for the 6th time in as many years.
  • Shinespider, Beaky Brigade and quasistellar like this

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpg

Beaky Brigade

Beaky Brigade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 848 posts

Its natural to be conservative about the state of the game and not want new stuff to sideline the current stuff but imagine if GW had applied that logic in 2015, 2010, or 2000? Arguably there were enough armies then.

How many great models would we have missed out on? No Admech, no Imperial Knights, no GSC, no Tau etc.

What if they'd decided not to do Rogue Trader back in the day to concentrate on Warhammer Fantasy?

Ultimately supporting a growing or bloated range with rules is GW management's problem to solve, not ours, though we might have to deal with the consequences.

Not having anything new would make the next 12 months pretty stale for codex releases with just a few minor range refreshes, finecast to plastic conversions and new primaris units, and counting down the days until 'Your Dudes' get their obligatory update.

• Shinespider likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users