2000 - Salamanders 9th Codex

Medicinal Carrots

1998 points

8 starting CP (4 spent in list building)

HQ
130 - Captain on Bike - storm shield, thunder hammer, Forge Master, Rites of War, Salamander's Mantle
80 - Chaplain - Canticle of Hate

Troops
100 - 5x Intercessors - auto bolt rifles, chainsword

Elites
200 - 5x Aggressors - flamestorm gauntlets
90 - Apothecary - Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer
70 - Company Champion - Chapter Champion, The Imperium's Sword, Blade of Triumph
60 - 2x Company Veterans - 1x power fist and storm shield, 1x power fist and chainsword
145 - Ironclad Dreadnought - dreadnought chainfist, 2x heavy flamer
145 - Ironclad Dreadnought - dreadnought chainfist, 2x heavy flamer
118 - 5x Vanguard Veterans - 2x lightning claw and storm shield, 3x lightning claw and chainsword

Fast Attack
110 - 2x Attack Bike - 2x multi-melta
110 - 2x Attack Bike - 2x multi-melta

Heavy Support
120 - 3x Eradicators - 3x melta-rifle
125 - 5x Devastators - 3x grav-cannon, chainsword, cherub
125 - 5x Devastators - 3x grav-cannon, chainsword, cherub

Dedicated Transport
70 - Drop Pod - storm bolter

The Champion, Chaplain, Company and Vanguard Vets ride in the drop pod. They drop in and use Commanding Oratory to make for a semi-reliable charge. The Champion can natively re-roll his charge, and I think it's worth a CP to try to get a Vet squad in if they fail. They act as a melee bomb to try to soften up the enemy early on and give them a backfield threat that has to be dealt with. After the initial drop, the Chaplain will generally be trying to give them re-rolls to hit.

The Apothecary accompanies the Aggressors. Depending on how things are laid out on the board, Devastators or Eradicators may tag along for the 6++ bubble and healing. He should make back his points and the CP spent on him resurrecting and healing models.

The Captain will usually start off accompanying the Attack Bikes. He may stay with them to provide re-rolls, or split off to assist other squads, steal objectives, smash things, and act as a general purpose troubleshooter.

The rest of the units should be pretty straitforward. Intercessors will focus on objectives and shooting chaff. Ironclads will try to get close to punch and flame things, and act as deterrents. Keeping a unit or two near them for Wisdom of the Ancients is generally going to be a good idea as well. The melta units will hunt big things, with the Bikes trying to use their speed to pick up extra objectives. And Devastators will be Marine and horde killers.

The big downside seems to be the heavy CP investment early on. After using Commanding Oratory, I'll only have 11 CP left to spend over the rest of the game. That's going to go fast, so the goal is going to have to be hitting as hard as possible as early as possible.

At deployment there should be another unit to screen the captain, and hopefully things can move in such a way that he's got a screen turn 1.

Company Vets are part of the melee bomb. I wanted all fists, but couldn't find the points, so I took claws on the Vanguard. I put in the Company Vets over 2 more Vanguard for the extra sergeant attack, and the slight bit of added protection for the Chaplain and Champion. The idea is for the Vanguard to clear infantry, while the rest try to aim for bigger things if they can.

Are you considering use any CP on Stratetic Reserves? I mean, you will have a good deal to go for :)
I would, however, put the Martial Exemplar on the Chapter Champion instead of The Imperium's sword. This is simple because others can use his charge re-roll... I don't know if strenth 8 and 6 attack with Damage 3 on the first combat round is so much better than having your other soldiers re-roll failed charge... Especially consider who can/could benefit from it...

Yeah, the Eradicator squad will often be best served going into reserves. I also realized I misremembered their power as 5 instead of 6, so I think he Attack Bikes may be better in a 3 squad and a lone bike so I have the option of sending in another unit for the same 1CP.

As for the Champion, you've got a point. Even without the +1S, the relic sword still beats a thunder hammer against T6 or less and most T7. Dropping from 7 to 6 attacks on the charge is definitely worth making charges for the other units more reliable and likely making back the CP spent on the trait by saving a reroll.

Something else I should probably cover is secondaries. I think Oaths of Moment is practically an auto pick. Most units should be good with staying in combat, and I have some mobile units who can go to the center as well as slower units who will be good with the center as a firing point and can move there in subsequent turns. Linebreaker also seems to be a good choice, as I can drop 5 units behind enemy lines with the pod, can use reserves and/or bikes to potentially backfill as needed. Plus it can force the opponent to shoot the drop pod instead of more threatening targets if they want to try to deny the points. The third secondary will be dependent on the mission and the opponent's list.