The Silver Fire of Dawn challenge - Grey Knights

Skywrath

=][=

Calling all current Grey Knight veterans, allies and prospective neophytes for this challenge!

"Brothers! With the rift of the Cicatrix Maledictum only increasing in size and radius, it's time to show the our Primaris brethren what firstborn Grey Knights could still do! To all current veterans of the Grey Knights and prospective neophytes, the time has come to join the offensive. Even though our ability is suited to the extermination of the demonic, we are equally suited to dealing with renegade astartes, xenos or full on traitors! Consult the artisans, and our tech-marines, this is our time to shine* - We are the Hammer!"

- Attributed to Codicier Skywrath, 3rd Brotherhood of the Grey Knights.

=][=

So the challenge is pretty simple - at the start of each month is to paint a Grey Knight model (Exorcists welcome**). This activity will run for three months.

Note: If this activity takes off past said three months, as each month progresses the model count is increased by one. One month you could have a single lone paladin, the next month you would have two, with the limit resetting every 6 months. Of course, you could go above and beyond the call of duty, but that's entirely up to you. This caveat will be resolved upon the expiration of said 3 months.

Now this is where it gets interesting - in addition to painting a model, you have to come up with some fluff for the model/squad, in response to the villain I outline this month, similar to a crusade style. I'll create a verbal narrative each month for a villain of my choosing (suggestions welcome in PM's or on this thread). This can be either reflected verbally - in the form of how this character came into being, or physically - battle-scars or weathering effects on the miniature, with a sentence or so reinforcing the above point.

1.Example of a "physical" type of fluff: (The villain this month could be Huron Blackheart. Burn marks or scorch marks could be an example of a confrontation with him, which would be acceptable).

2. Example of a "written" type of fluff: (The villain this month could be Huron Blackheart, and then a background of how that unit came into confrontation, let your imagination go wild!). You don't need to go overboard with this, probably a sentence or two reflective the above narrative, however you can do more if you so wish.

=][=

Of course, with every event there are awards to go with this, five of them in fact!***

1. Favourite - Determined by the people (there will be a poll reflecting this a week before the month ends, each month), the best painted miniature this month.

2.  Original - for the most original conversion, award determined by myself. See the Halls of Titan thread for inspiration!

3. Improved - for the most improved in terms of painting ability. Determined by the people.

4. Imaginative - best fluff narrative to go with your miniature/squad.

5. Champion - 3 x times consecutive winner of any of the above categories (has to be in one singular category). There will be a prize associated with this award, administrator approval pending.****

=][=

Does this seem like the kind of challenge for you? If so, utter the following oath:

I,<insert Grey Knight rank here> <name> , answer the call of the Silver Fire of Dawn, and pledge to reinforce the <insert number of brotherhood here> brotherhood of the Grey Knights chapter with a <insert unit/squad type here> by the months' end.

The activity will commence on the 19th of October (a week before the month end), until then, utter your oaths neophytes, and let the crusade commence!

=][=

"I am the hammer,

I am the right hand of the Emperor,

the instrument of His will,

the gauntlet about His fist,

the tip of His spear,

the edge of His sword!"

=][=

Appendix:

* - pardon the pun.

** - While Grey Knight's don't have primaris yet, I am willing to count the Exorcists as official successors. If you are planning on using the Exorcists as form of admission for this challenge, you can use primaris models as well as firstborn ones, with the catch they are painted strictly in the appropriate colours of the Exorcists (minor colour deviations allowed).

*** - There may be more awards added, depending on how popular the activity is. The award gif's and badges will be added later to this list. The prize is subjective in nature, and is yet to be decided upon.

Updates:

Update 23/10/2020: Resolving some details as promised - due to the nature of the challenge, I am ineligible to receive awards, in the interests of ambiguity. Secondly, to clarify, this is not a challenge that you have to participate for 3 months, continuously. This is a challenge that you can join, leave and re-commence as you see fit. Of course, the more the merrier, but it was important that I would highlight that detail.  Thirdly, all the awards will be decided on a meritocratic basis, if there are any tiebreakers, I will be the one to break said tiebreaker. The prize for winning the "Champion" award is still in the process of being decided, and the awards/brotherhood badges are being worked on as well. You cannot vote for yourself. The challenge still officially commences on the 26th, however as some of you have already powered up your nemesis weapons, early admissions are welcome, in light of the logistical details being resolved.

Edited by Skywrath

I, Codicier Skywrath, answer the call of the Silver Fire of Dawn, and pledge to reinforce the 3rd brotherhood of the Grey Knight chapter with a 10m purgation squad with psilencers by this month's end.

++Seeing how we have participants, the end of this month would be considered to "end" on the 19th of November, and every consecutive month on the 19th. I'll start writing up a narrative for the event launch on the 19th.++

Edited by Skywrath

I, Brother-Captain Icosiel, answer the call of the Silver Fire of Dawn, and pledge to reinforce the 7th Brotherhood of the Grey Knights chapter with a Venerable Dreadnought by the months' end.

I, Chaplain Librisrouge , answer the call of the Silver Fire of Dawn, and pledge to reinforce the 7th brotherhood of the Grey Knights chapter with an Ancient of the Brotherhood by the months' end.

Libris, great to see another battle-brother of the 7th!

I, Supreme Grand Master of the Grey Knights vote to appoint Aldrik Voldus to the title of Grand Master of the Wardmakers 3rd Brotherhood.

(I'll be painting a Voldus mini and retiring Draigo for a while)

Who died and made you king, Reskin? ;)

=][=

Sorry to keep this down for so long, but some technical issues needed to be resolved. That being accomplished, you are clear to proceed.

Good fortune to all and have fun:thumbsup:

AD IMPERATOREM

=][=

I, Supreme Grand Master of the Grey Knights vote to appoint Aldrik Voldus to the title of Grand Master of the Wardmakers 3rd Brotherhood.

(I'll be painting a Voldus mini and retiring Draigo for a while)

Who died and made you king, Reskin? :wink:

I was speaking as Kaldor, since he's always been my warlord since 5th edition for every game I've played. Now I'm retiring him.

He was the first mini I ever bought and painted.

Edited by Reskin

We are back boys! Let's get this written up. The original text will be updated later today with updated information on the event (and will be highlighted in red for the sake of simplicity). Spread the word to your fellow Grey Knights, more the merrier. The activity will have an updated starting date of the 26th of October, for the reason of making it closer to a month, and to resolve some more technical difficulties with the details.   

=][=

Silver Fire of Dawn Challenge Participants Roster***

=][=

=][= 1st Brotherhood of the Grey Knights (the Swordbearers) =][=

Prognosticar Freakshow668 - Grand Master

Justicar Woodsman -  Venerable Dreadnought

=][= 2nd Brotherhood of the Grey Knights (the Blades of Victory) =][=

-

=][= 3rd Brotherhood of the Grey Knights (the Wardmakers) =][=

Codicier Skywrath - Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight,  Brother-Captain

Supreme Grand Master Reskin* - Aldrik Voldus

Knight of the Flame Waking Dreamer - Brother-Captain Stern

=][= 4th Brotherhood of the Grey Knights (the Prescient Brotherhood) =][=

-

=][= 5th Brotherhood of the Grey Knights (the Preservers) =][=

-

=][= 6th Brotherhood of the Grey Knights (the Rapiers) =][=

Forgelord TPS - Rhino APC

=][= 7th Brotherhood of the Grey Knights (the Exactors) =][=

Chaplain Librisrogue - Paladin Ancient

Brother-Captain Icosiel - Venerable Dreadnought, Interceptor Squad(?)

=][= 8th Brotherhood of the Grey Knights (the Silver Blades) =][=

-

=][=

=][= Exorcists Chapter =][=

Chaoself - Tactical Marine with Flamer

Grotsmasha - Assault Intercessor

=][=

* - Sorry, there is only the one Supreme Grand Master, mate ;)

** - Brotherhood Badges are in the process of being added in place of the vertical =][=.

*** - Try saying that five times faster.

Edited by Skywrath

I, Justicar Woodsman, answer the call of the Silver Dawn of Fire, and pledge to reinforce the 1st Brotherhood of the Grey Knights Chapter with a Venerable Dreadnought by the end of the month.

Glory to you all, brothers :wink:

Welcome offically to the forum, Justicar! Added your name to the list.

So, awkwardly, I painted up my dreadnought in the days between when this post went down and it went back up, haha. So I need to commit to something else! Hmmm. Let me think on that.

Yep, however I defer to Freakshow's statement ;p

I, Knight of the Flame Waking Dreamer, answer the call of the Silver Fire of Dawn, and pledge to reinforce the 3rd Brotherhood of the Grey Knights chapter with Brother-Captain Arvann Stern by the months' end.

Good to see you still lurking around here, brother. Looking forward to seeing your efforts!

++Update on the original text: Still a work in progress, some logistics still need to be discussed further with the moderation team. I'll have the badges of the brotherhoods uploaded by today, however.++

UPDATE 2: The verbal narrative for this month will be included later today as well. 

Edited by Skywrath

So, awkwardly, I painted up my dreadnought in the days between when this post went down and it went back up, haha. So I need to commit to something else! Hmmm. Let me think on that.

Yep, however I defer to Freakshow's statement ;p

I, Knight of the Flame Waking Dreamer, answer the call of the Silver Fire of Dawn, and pledge to reinforce the 3rd Brotherhood of the Grey Knights chapter with Brother-Captain Arvann Stern by the months' end.

Good to see you still lurking around here, brother. Looking forward to seeing your efforts!

++Update on the original text: Still a work in progress, some logistics still need to be discussed further with the moderation team. I'll have the badges of the brotherhoods uploaded by today, however.++

Would be cool if they were the 8 chapter banners on page 14 and 15 of the GK codex. The artwork is absolutely sick.

++Narrative for this Month++

=][=

Excerpt: 999.M41, Era Indomitus, from the Battle Barge: Light of Truth, from the Brother-Captain Aurelius

"It's been a month since the Silver Crusade started. Answering the call of the Silver Fire of Dawn, the Grey Knight's chapter deployed the majority of it's chapter in response to a dire event foreseen by the lone Prognosticar Hyperion. I recall the day clearly: Being summoned to the silver tower of the Augurium, being in the light of his power gifted to him by the Emperor. At first I thought, it was my time to take my place upon one of the thrones. But the time has not come. Yet. The paladins guarding the chamber, cautiously let me through, their psy-bionics shining a sinister blue as I passed by them. Entering the chamber, I saw him, both as both a blind man, and a man gifted with warp sight. He was armed in an artificer suit of terminator armor, his stave nearby, and the throne inscribed with runed parchment. The smell of incense was there as well, as it always was. He greeted me warily, and not for the first time, I wondered whether he was older than he really was. His psychic halo shone bright, his terminator armor augmenting the light, making his presence blinding to look at, and when he spoke, it was the voice of the ages. His voice detailed things that have happened, yet to happen or haven't happened, all simultaneously existing, but not existing, channelled into this one moment, into the one word: Armageddon". 

"To the lone imperial scholar, that word implies a planet, a system at most. To a space marine chapter, it implies a conflict between the numerous forces of factions opposing to the Imperium. But to the Grey Knights chapter, our chapter, it implies the one word: Redemption. I was assailed by visions, shown to me by the Prognosticar. The Era Indomitus, the Imperium reborn, it's wings of flame lighting the Imperium's path, glowing stronger, but simultaneously growing darker. I saw the blue of the Ultramarines, forming the spearhead, reinforced with a new type of marine, both bigger and stronger. I saw the sons of the Lion, chasing something, but that object was hid in shadows, yet burned impossibly bright. I saw the red of the exemplars of Sanguinius, their nobility tarnished by a thirst for battle. None of it mattered, yet all the paths lead to the moment, where.. everything went dark. I saw nothing, but echoes of battle, screams of dying men, and unnatural roars, that experience claims it was demonic. Our efforts were not enough - flashes of skulls being pilled up in the reviled formation of 9's, the red rivers flowing like mead at a celebration, and above all, the sheer madness of the event, where both all and nothing existed. Our chapter master, waging a bloody war through the landscape, the sliver fire of his blade forging a path. Then a set of wings, an iridescent hue of purple's and blues, speaking in a tongue lost to time. The blackness suddenly was illuminated by a flash of flames - blue and purple ones, with the Red Cyclops's laugh rumbling in the distance. As I stood on the bridge of the Strike Cruiser, I realised what we were seeing was the beginning of the fourth war for Armageddon. "  

++Mission Report++

The efforts so far have been going poorly. The Interceptors have been deployed to the north of Armaggedon Prime, for reconnaissance of a potential demonic sighting and subsequent ritual. The main force of the 4th brotherhood is on the continent of Armaggedon Secundus, engaged with the forces of Magnus the Red, and his Heretic Astartes. The casualties are immense - 2 out of the 3 terminator squads killed, 1 dreadnought destroyed, and the purgation squads surrounded by chaos sorcery on all sides. No word so far on the other 7 brotherhoods of the Grey Knights. The 3rd brotherhood, 1st brotherhood, and the 7th brotherhood are maintaining Vox-silence, despite our best efforts to contact them. Perhaps soon we will hear from them?

=][=

The theme for this month is Tzeentchian Demons and flames. The brotherhoods the participants selected are attempting to contact Brother-Captain Aurelius. Your miniatures have to reflect or build upon the above narrative, either in the fluff sense, or in the physical sense the narrative provides. (The theme is flames, perhaps include some flame effects on your miniatures as an example?)

Looking forward to seeing them pictures! Just remember, your narrative that you provide will be incorporated into the narrative for the next month.

Edited by Skywrath

I, Forgelord TPS, have received notice of an increase in resource demand, code 'Silver Fire of Dawn', and pledge to reconsecrate a Rhino APC, for use of the 6th brotherhood, by the end of the month.

My GK backlog is actually super small and consists of just some vehicles I never really felt like painting. Taking this as an opportunity to put some paint on my motor pool. Vroom vroom!

I, Forgelord TPS, have received notice of an increase in resource demand, code 'Silver Fire of Dawn', and pledge to reconsecrate a Rhino APC, for use of the 6th brotherhood, by the end of the month.

My GK backlog is actually super small and consists of just some vehicles I never really felt like painting. Taking this as an opportunity to put some paint on my motor pool. Vroom vroom!

Added you to the list forgemaster!

+++

The smells of incense and ozone permeate the teleportarum chamber. Mind-wiped Chapter censor-bearers chant psalms of purity and guidance, while tech-servitors are busy at the chamber's control panels. Techmarine Jarvan, flanked by Chaplain Gerior, oversees the preparations. The reclusiarch is somber and solemn; the hour is nigh, too many brothers are in peril or already dead. An enemy who's power defies existence walks free on the soil of the cursed planet below, despite the Grey Knight's bests effort to check his advance. The battle-barge Titan's Word, assigned to the 1st Brotherhood, lies in orbit above the doomed world. Armageddon, again... thinks Gerior. Nothing good could come of a second deamon-primarch's presence here. To face the bloodthirsty hordes of Angron and his World Eaters was one thing, and victory had come at too steep a price. To put an end to the machinations of Magnus the Red, however, would be an altogether more costly, and victory, while necessary, was not even guaranteed... 

The Chaplain steps before the revered hero being prepared for teleportation. In the adjoining chambers, Strike Marines and Terminators kneel in prayer, waiting for the exemplar who will lead them to be fully sanctified. 

"Venerable Brother Eudicius... you know the gravity of the task set ahead of you," rasps Gerior, his voice a grating of steel on bone, rugged from centuries of intoning righteous litanies on the battlefield. 

Before him, the blow glow of the dreadnought's optical units blazes with the Emperor's fury. When the war machine speaks, it is with the voice of millennia past and holy fury itself. 

''I know, Gerior. I was there when the Planet of Sorcerors returned. I was there even before then, when the Cyclops took his ire to Fenris. When our order was created, by the will of the Sigilite and in the name of the Emperor, I was there. The sons of Prospero, curse their bleak existence, are responsible for my internment in this holy vessel. My fury and retribution will be laid upon them, of that you must not fret. They may have crippled my body, but for millenia now I have inhabited this crucible of war. My strength has only increased, and they will rue the day they let me live. Once more I will stride before the Thousand Sons, and once more I will lay low their mindless husks. The will of their sorcerers I will crush with my own, and the spirits of my brothers I shall guide to victory. The soil of Armageddon will be purified, on my honor and by the Emperor's grace. I am ready. Release me to my purpose, unleash me as the traitor's doom!"

The reclusiarch nods, bows his head in reverence and silent prayer. He backs out of the chamber, followed by the techmarine. The serfs and servitors kneel, their vitality a willing and necessary gift to allow the hallowed brothers within to descend like a righteous hammer upon the planet below. The chamber fills with a blue-white glow, the smell of ozone fills the air even beyond the chamber. A ear-splitting crack, a rush of air and the fleeting image of madness itself invades the warriors being sent to battle. Then, a sensation of being torn asunder, body and soul, before their spiritual purity and the guidance of the ancient hero who leads them directs them to their purpose and destination.

Eudicuius, Venerable Dreadnought and once Grand Master of 1st Brotherhood of the Grey Knights, steps through the warp-rift that opens on Armageddon Secundus. His footfall, iron-shod and earth-trembling, lives up to his title. The twin lascannon to his right whines with gathering energy. The Nemesis weapon attached to his left glows and seethes with pyschic power. His ancient voice, projected to inhuman volume by his vox-unit, rallies his strike force to him. Ahead, brothers have already engaged the foul automata that oppose them, the unsung heroes of his Chapter go toe to toe with the foul spawn of the change god. Towering above the battlefield, his quarry stands, horrifying and immense. Eudicius strides forward, a growl of righteous hate rumbles from his sarcophegeous, an intonement of psychic might lies on his dead, ravaged lips, imbuing his entire being with the Emperor's strength.

"Magnus!" he bellows, as he goes to meet his mortal foe. 

+++

So there you have it, the narrative for my entry for the first part of the Silver Dawn Challenge - Venerable Dreadnought Eudicius, once Grand Master of the 1st Brotherhood, laid low in battle against the Thousand Sons in the 36th Millenia, and given new life in the hull of a dreadnought ever since. Here's the first WIP shot, basically based and primed, I'll do my best to post updates as and when different stages of the painting are done. I'll see what I can do to incorporate some flame battle-damage/weathering in the paint job as well.

dread

Edited by The Woodsman