The Silver Fire of Dawn challenge - Grey Knights

Skywrath

I never started the third commitment, and I personally got burnt out of painting and playing GK’s coz my personal opinion is they are garbage atm.

Plus I started painting up a nids army for a change of colour scheme, but after so many gaunts... well, you know how that goes

I never started the third commitment, and I personally got burnt out of painting and playing GK’s coz my personal opinion is they are garbage atm.

Plus I started painting up a nids army for a change of colour scheme, but after so many gaunts... well, you know how that goes

So time for a 3rd army....

Starting to get that way with my GK. If I start working on another marine army it will be either for my Raptors Kill team for Back to Badab, Exorcist Primaris kill team, or mortifactors. Need to finalize some techniques before tackling Adepta Sororitas army.

Edited by war009

I myself turned back to Guard army, they are in a pretty interesting spot right now and have a very different playstyle to the Grey Knights. That being said, that army is pretty much fully painted except for a Valkyrie and a Leman Russ I just picked up. It kind of saddens me to turn away from GK for a while, but I think I need a break from painting silver power/terminator armor. Looking forward to a new Codex to amp up my motivation! This challenge floundering kind of killed my motivation too... it was basically the only thing keeping me pumped for the Sons of Titan, despite me loving their fluff and look. 

Rest well brothers... may we rise with renewed strength before long!

The challenge hasn't been forgotten. I haven't given up on this, there was a veritable backlog of things that needed to be done. Votes have been tallied from January, just need to put this together into one post. Seeing how I got screwed over by IRL events in February, I'm thinking how do we do this without extending the challenge for another month. 

Here's what I propose: The prize of the Grey Knight Paladin/Terminator box still stands. We had some baller submissions from pretty much everyone across the board, and I think it wouldn't be fair if we extended it for a fourth month when people have put their submissions in, and other's haven't. So here's the idea. Everyone sends me a PM (who participated, in any month) for their favourite submission over these three months. Just the singular vote. The winner of this consecutive vote gets the prize. What do you think? (Yes, I knows it makes the votes more or less irrelevant for the last two months, but this is a certain guarantee of a prize, instead of a chance at one. You still get the badges etc). 

I will apologise for dropping the ball on February, a lot of things came up, and this, regrettably was on the backburner. I will attempt to rectify this situation by getting the sub-forum active again through other means (Units of the Week, etc), if people are still interested. It saddens me to hear a lot of people are feeling burnt out from this challenge or lack of motivation from playing Grey Knights. My intention was pretty much the opposite. This would probably be my fault, because of the above point. However there isn't much I can say or do to alleviate that, until our Codex drops. Like the people above, my prospects of playing Grey Knights have been tainted by playing another faction.

Edited by Skywrath

I could definitely cast a vote, it would be nice to be able to tie this up properly. Should we send you our nominations for each category, or a just a singular, overall best of show that combines conversion work, painting skill and the narrative element? 

Glad to see you about, and IRL stuff should always be a priority, the hobby is a hobby and that should always be kept in mind. 

Despite my recent outing with the boys of the Imperial Guard, my Grey Knights aren't far away, and they'll definitely be the ones I bring when I eventually get to face my mate's new Death Guard Codex! I honestly needed to take a break from silver, but with only 10 Purgators, 5 Interceptors and my Nemesis Dreadknight to finish, I'll be able to get a fully painted 4000 points on the field soon enough... hopefully in time for the Codex! 

I wouldn't blame you Skywrath, my burn out was more an overall summary of where GK's are right now, and just a culmination of painting silver. I'd blame GW for their lack of effort for one of the oldest codex's atm. As we were written around the time of 7.5 edition. I'd also blame the release of all of the primaris crap and other cool looking factions. Too much new stuff and too many cool new codex's make ours look like gutter trash, and our models, although aged well, with the size scale of primaris marines and other factions being released with new cool looking flavour really is depressing, we got one new model in Voldus since 5th edition? Prior to that it was the NDK for 5th edition iirc? We don't even have a dedicated Chaplain model, with GK liveries, instead we have to kitbash it... just a lazy arse effort from GW, considering their mantra is IF its in the rule book, it has to have a model. 

I could definitely cast a vote, it would be nice to be able to tie this up properly. Should we send you our nominations for each category, or a just a singular, overall best of show that combines conversion work, painting skill and the narrative element? 

Glad to see you about, and IRL stuff should always be a priority, the hobby is a hobby and that should always be kept in mind. 

Despite my recent outing with the boys of the Imperial Guard, my Grey Knights aren't far away, and they'll definitely be the ones I bring when I eventually get to face my mate's new Death Guard Codex! I honestly needed to take a break from silver, but with only 10 Purgators, 5 Interceptors and my Nemesis Dreadknight to finish, I'll be able to get a fully painted 4000 points on the field soon enough... hopefully in time for the Codex! 

Just the single vote, overall for the two or so months we had this activity running. I'll just get more people on this thread voice their input, then that's the path we will take, if that is acceptable for everyone. 

Completely unrelated side-note, I had a game with a DG player the other day, the battle-report is halfway written up. There is a lot in it, that still points to the fact we can make the faction work.

I wouldn't blame you Skywrath, my burn out was more an overall summary of where GK's are right now, and just a culmination of painting silver. I'd blame GW for their lack of effort for one of the oldest codex's atm. As we were written around the time of 7.5 edition. I'd also blame the release of all of the primaris crap and other cool looking factions. Too much new stuff and too many cool new codex's make ours look like gutter trash, and our models, although aged well, with the size scale of primaris marines and other factions being released with new cool looking flavour really is depressing, we got one new model in Voldus since 5th edition? Prior to that it was the NDK for 5th edition iirc? We don't even have a dedicated Chaplain model, with GK liveries, instead we have to kitbash it... just a lazy arse effort from GW, considering their mantra is IF its in the rule book, it has to have a model. 

Like you, Master Reskin, both of my middle fingers are pointing squarely at GW. I'm not opposed to the idea of new stuff being released, but if a GW employee was reading this, I'd tell them that all their codexes should be launched simultaneously. If that wasn't feasible, then the codexes release should be broken down in batches of 4-5 and released within a fast time-frame (which in this case would be 3 months). Voldus was far recent than that, he was launched in 8th edition, though. That and I'm not opposed to the idea of kitbashing, there are some very nice firstborn sculpts that can be easily made into a Grey Knight. Also, read my last line about my recent battle with Death Guard to Woodsman.

Just to cheer you up, there is a pattern I noticed. If you look at the Psychic Awakening releases, notice how the 9th edition codexes release in roughly the same order? If my prediction is right, then the next two codexes after Drukhari (and the rumoured admech/sister one) would be TS and Grey Knights.

This has been a problem with GW for a long time. I think what they should do is have 1/2 of the Codex ready at launch and the other half within 6 months. New models and kits can come out here and there but properly updated rules are important for an enjoyable experience. And if this is something they can't do then you hold a new edition until you can.

My burnout is because I am painting my least favorite models to paint.....Terminators and I have a ton to paint and more to build. Plus I've been working on my GK's alot lately with breaks taken for My Drukhari Wych Cult and I realized that my Raptors are @  50- 75% done, my Mortifactors are undercoated or still on sprue which was the Indomintus box. 

I think this challenge was a good thing but in, and lot cool models came out from all the partici and stories. In the Ravenguard group we were doing monthly Challenges like we had a 1- 2 month qaratine event where everyone that wanted to particpate painted Apothecaries in an effort to fight the Nurgle Plague or building and painted armored vehicles over 2 -3 months. Even then some of us still burned out. 

Just to cheer you up, there is a pattern I noticed. If you look at the Psychic Awakening releases, notice how the 9th edition codexes release in roughly the same order? If my prediction is right, then the next two codexes after Drukhari (and the rumoured admech/sister one) would be TS and Grey Knights.

I agree with all of you that GW's codex release schedule could do with some serious improvements, but since I'm still living the lockdown life (signs are pointing towards easing the measures a bit next month), I haven't had a chance to play since several months now. I might re-evaluate my army choices once my FLGS re-opens their gaming tables based on what codices are available by then, but for now, I'm just catching up on my various projects. January saw me paint 2000ish points of AoS lizardmen, this month I did a Blood Bowl team and I'm now back at growing my HH Iron Warriors force, because even after 150ish legionnaires and appropriate vehicle and dreadnought support, I still enjoy painting them!

++ Just posing the question now, officially. Seeing how IRL and the events of the world/GW interrupted this challenge, what would be your thoughts if we more or less discard the votes, and vote for a singular favourite over the three months for the prize (i.e the Terminator box). People who contributed to this challenge are the ones eligible to vote. I would prefer an all-round response from everyone. ++

If the above proposal is accepted, then the next step would be to send me a PM for your favourite. I'll give that vote a week to pass through before the winner is announced. If not, then we revert back to the original idea and hand out awards for those categories. If the categories align with the 3x consecutive wins, then that person will receive a prize. 

Edited by Skywrath

That it was, and it's more or less written up. The formatting just needs to be done. 

Ideally, I'd want one more person's acceptance at the proposal before I lock it in, and request your votes.

In all honesty, I think it should be whatever is least fuss for you, Skywrath. You're the one putting in the work, yours is the opinion that should really count.

By all means. However, I'm also the one that delayed things, so it's in mine and everyone's best interests that I do something about it. Hence this is the solution as well as my way of apology.