The Silver Fire of Dawn challenge - Grey Knights

Skywrath

Love the narrative, Woodsman, just absolutely love it. The third person perspective is well written, and it really gives you a depth of the character, as well as tying it in with the narrative I provided. Expect this narrative to be expanded upon the next month! Well done, Justicar!

++Details of the challenge have been more or less addressed in the form of the yellow update on the original post. If there are any other further logistical concerns, don't be afraid to send a PM my way, so that can be addressed.++

Daily thought: Blessed is the mind too small to doubt.

Aldrik sat silent in center of the meditation chamber. The chambers floor was cool ceremite and plasteel. Candles illuminated the room with faint flickering light. Nestled in between the stacks of shelves. Each shelf comprising of ancient tomes and scrolls. Inked by the meticulous hands of librarians over millennia. Before him lay a particularly ancient tome, his eyes wandered over the secret words of power, rituals and sigils. His mind mostly clear, the thoughts of his battle brothers aboard the ship gently pressed the forefront of his consciousness like a soft breeze.

He raised his head at the sounds of gears, whirling and clicking, pressure hissed and released as the large double doors parted and in poured the flashing red and yellow klaxons from the hall. Two large figures strode confidently into the chamber, their silver robes did little to hide their hulking, chiseled forms.

"We have arrived in orbit above Armageddon sire." said Epistolary Jakaton in his softly spoken voice. Jakaton was the senior of three Espistolaries that served as council to the Grand Master.

Aldrik nodded in acknowledgement. "Very well."

"Your armour has been repaired and sanctified thrice over, and twice have I blessed it with canticles of the Ommisiah." Said the other, Argon. Argon was the Techmarine in Aldrik's service. Aldrik turned his gaze upon the Marine. In the few months of warp travel on the way to Armageddon, Argon had changed dramatically since arriving from Deimos. He looked more machine by the day.

"Minor Improvements." Shrugged Argon in a dry voice, his eye optics narrowed and widened again. Motors quietly churned gears under his robes.

"Indeed." Came the reply. 

"I'll meet you on the bridge." Aldrik said as he rose and returned the tome to a shelf.

Aldrik entered the bridge of the Emperor's Will, the battle barge that led the third brotherhoods strike fleet. This battle barge was an ancient vessel by the Grey Knights standards. Janus himself had commanded this ship, forged in the fires of Deimos at the founding of the Chapter, a gift from the sigilite himself. He strode confidently to the command bridge, the heavy footsteps of his terminator armour measured and precise. Malleus Argyrum, his nemesis force Hammer was mag-locked to his back. It was an ancient and powerful relic of the Grey Knights chapter. It was his weapon of choice. With it, Aldrik had slain many a daemonic foe.

The bridge was humming with noise, servitors relayed countless data screens. Sirens sounded in the background, cogitators and data screens hummed with data feeds constantly streaming information. A large portion of the Grey Knights chapter was assembling above Armageddon.

"Inform Brother-Captain Stern we have arrived." Ordered Aldrik.

"Already relayed that information sire." Jakaton informed him. He was observing several navigation servitors and ship crew from the command deck beside Aldrik.

"Good, gather the present Codiciers, they will accompany me along with Paragon Roark. Brother-Captain Stern will lead the spearhead. I have another task." Informed Aldrik.

"Oh?" Inquired Jakaton. "Which is?"

"Magnus." Came the reply.

(Not real good at this stuff, but there you go.)

Here is my finished Aldrik Voldus, the new warlord for my Grey Knights for the foreseeable future. Love the model, I havent picked up a paint brush in about 4 years. And he's the first model I started with since coming back to the hobby. I really tried my best. I tried to achieve table top standard and really do him proud.

newvoldus5 (2)

newvoldus3 (2)

newvoldus4 (2)

newvoldus2 (2)

newvoldus1 (2)

Edit: Updated my Voldus with some touch up and new pics. 25/11/2020

Edited by Reskin

So, I'm done for the month Skywrath? Because after that intense concentration, I'm done for painting for the next couple of years :/

Next month I want to paint the chaplain from warhammer day once I convert him with GK paraphernalia. So can that be my pledge? 

Excellent bit of fluff and a superb model Reskin, well done.

Cheers bro, appreciate it, first timer lol. I briefly read the codex for Names and info so it made sense.

Edited by Reskin

Love the fluff, and for your first time, it's definitely not bad at all - certainly better than what I came up with. Excellent painting job with the miniature - it definitely shows years of painting experience :) As for this month, your vow is complete, however hold off for your next miniature until the next month's fluff will be provided (starting again from the 26th). What you could do, is work on the chaplain and put him with in this month's vow with your Grand Master, that would work as well! :smile.:

Good work, Grand Master!

Looks like there is a bit of thread administration that needs to be done when I wake up tommorow.. so far an excellent job everyone, really fills me with hope that this forum will be booming with activity again! You make the Emperor proud with your efforts!

Edited by Skywrath

There's lots of stuff I could pledge. But gosh my wrist is sore... I painted like a fury for this guy.

But the potential rewards seem like a good incentive, plus VP's and friends are encouraging me.

Things I could pledge;
1 Brother-Captain

1 Chaplain (don't have the model yet)

10+ terminators/paladins.

Inquisitorial Warband.

3 rhinos/razorbacks

1 LRC

1 Stormtalon

Love the fluff, and for your first time, it's definitely not bad at all - certainly better than what I came up with. Same deal with the miniature.

Cheers for the kind words, really appreciate it.

Edited by Reskin

Hey guys, sorry if I'm asking dumb questions but I'm a non native speaker. :smile.:

So to get it right. I can pledge a single exorcist and it has to be finished by end of november? :smile.:

Yep, by November 26th! On top of painting a miniature you have two choices - create some fluff that expands on the theme I provided (see the verbal narrative), or paint your miniature in a way that reflects the above - so the theme is Tzeentch, and flames, you could have flames coming around your base to reflect that as an example. Of course, it's only the single model, but you could have more if you so wish.

As you are painting Exorcists - you are allowed to use primaris units if you so wish, they just have to be painted strictly in exorcists colors. You just have to say the vow (which is provided above in the original post).

Edited by Skywrath

Aldrik sat silent in center of the meditation chamber. The chambers floor was cool ceremite and plasteel. Candles illuminated the room with faint flickering light. Nestled in between the stacks of shelves. Each shelf comprising of ancient tomes and scrolls. Inked by the meticulous hands of librarians over millennia. Before him lay a particularly ancient tome, his eyes wandered over the secret words of power, rituals and sigils. His mind mostly clear, the thoughts of his battle brothers aboard the ship gently pressed the forefront of his consciousness like a soft breeze.

He raised his head at the sounds of gears, whirling and clicking, pressure hissed and released as the large double doors parted and in poured the flashing red and yellow klaxons from the hall. Two large figures strode confidently into the chamber, their silver robes did little to hide their hulking, chiseled forms.

"We have arrived in orbit above Armageddon sire." said Epistolary Jakaton in his softly spoken voice. Jakaton was the senior of three Espistolaries that served as council to the Grand Master.

Aldrik nodded in acknowledgement. "Very well."

"Your armour has been repaired and sanctified thrice over, and twice have I blessed it with canticles of the Ommisiah." Said the other, Argon. Argon was the Techmarine in Aldrik's service. Aldrik turned his gaze upon the Marine. In the few months of warp travel on the way to Armageddon, Argon had changed dramatically since arriving from Deimos. He looked more machine by the day.

"Minor Improvements." Shrugged Argon in a dry voice, his eye optics narrowed and widened again. Motors quietly churned gears under his robes.

"Indeed." Came the reply.

"I'll meet you on the bridge." Aldrik said as he rose and returned the tome to a shelf.

Aldrik entered the bridge of the Emperor's Will, the battle barge that led the third brotherhoods strike fleet. This battle barge was an ancient vessel by the Grey Knights standards. Janus himself had commanded this ship, forged in the fires of Deimos at the founding of the Chapter, a gift from the sigilite himself. He strode confidently to the command bridge, the heavy footsteps of his terminator armour measured and precise. Malleus Argyrum, his nemesis force Hammer was mag-locked to his back. It was an ancient and powerful relic of the Grey Knights chapter. It was his weapon of choice. With it, Aldrik had slain many a daemonic foe.

The bridge was humming with noise, servitors relayed countless data screens. Sirens sounded in the background, cogitators and data screens hummed with data feeds constantly streaming information. A large portion of the Grey Knights chapter was assembling above Armageddon.

"Inform Brother-Captain Stern we have arrived." Ordered Aldrik.

"Already relayed that information sire." Jakaton informed him. He was observing several navigation servitors and ship crew from the command deck beside Aldrik.

"Good, gather the present Codiciers, they will accompany me along with Paragon Roark. Brother-Captain Stern will lead the spearhead. I have another task." Informed Aldrik.

"Oh?" Inquired Jakaton. "Which is?"

"Magnus." Came the reply.

(Not real good at this stuff, but there you go.)

Here is my finished Aldrik Voldus, the new warlord for my Grey Knights for the foreseeable future. Love the model, I havent picked up a paint brush in about 4 years. And he's the first model I started with since coming back to the hobby. I really tried my best. I tried to achieve table top standard and really do him proud.

I suck with taking pics so I hope these are decent and do him justice!

Great work on Grand Master Voldus, Reskin! Especially it being your first paint job in 4 years, congrats! And the narrative is superb too, its awesome to see people getting fully on board with the challenge.

I look forward to seeing your next entry, get that wrist rested up for round 2 ;)

Vardan Kai, Grand Master of the first company of the Grey Knights surveyed the smoke-wreathed battlefield.

His force had arrived too late to stop the ritual and the ensuing battle had been costly. The ground before him was littered with the bodies of cultists and blue-armoured traitor filth as well as a number of his silver-plated brethren.

"Too many." Murmured Kai' "Always too many."

Although this had been a clear victory, the traitors exterminated and the daemonic incursion destroyed, Kai felt ill-at-ease. A dark shadow hung over his mind, something in the nature of the ritual pulled at his attention,  it was if... it was not a singular thing... as if it were merely a part of something bigger...

Kai regarded the cultists once more. Something in the sigils cut into their flesh...something familiar. He unslung the Grimoire Daemonica from his shoulder and began to search the pages. There, his blood froze as he recognised the symbol. The sigil of thrice- cursed Magnus. How did he not recognise it immediately? And there! The rune of Kairos, who names himself the weaver of fates.

Kai's mind whirled with the possibilities,  the threat implicit in this discovery. But where? Where would be the fulcrum upon which this scheme would focus?

So engrossed was he on his thoughts that he failed to notice his equerry approach.

"My lord."

"Yes, Brother"

" We have received word that the Chapter is gathering on Armageddon, our presence is requested."

Armageddon!

The word struck Vardan Kai like a hammer blow.

Of course, Armageddon. Always Armageddon. Never would we be free of the shadow of that world.

"We leave immediately. " ordered Kai. "And send word to our brothers already there. This threat is bigger than any may realise!"
Edited by Freakshow668

Freekshow, is that a spacewolf head? That looks SOOOOOOO sick! And a tzeentch symbol?

Thanks dude, aye, it's Ulrik the Slayer's head. Thought it had the right gravitas for a Grand Master, and a broken Tzeentch icon for flavour. Glad you approve.

Freekshow, is that a spacewolf head? That looks SOOOOOOO sick! And a tzeentch symbol?

Thanks dude, aye, it's Ulrik the Slayer's head. Thought it had the right gravitas for a Grand Master, and a broken Tzeentch icon for flavour. Glad you approve.

Superb kitbash on an already awesome kit, great work! While Grey Knights are kind of limited on Character kits, its always nice to see creativity like this. I really like the use of Voldus' Iron Halo/back ornament as the top part of the Warding Stave. Congrats.