The Silver Fire of Dawn challenge - Grey Knights

Skywrath

I, Grotsmasha, will aid in the search for Brother-Captain Aurelius, and shall deploy the forces of the Exocists Chapter by months end, Nov 2020.

gallery_48988_16024_69985.jpg

I suddenly feel motivated.....

Will there be a second Marine holding a power maul ready to receive the pitch?

I, Grotsmasha, will aid in the search for Brother-Captain Aurelius, and shall deploy the forces of the Exocists Chapter by months end, Nov 2020.

gallery_48988_16024_69985.jpg

I suddenly feel motivated.....

Will there be a second Marine holding a power maul ready to receive the pitch?

I guess that depends on next months prompt, but I won't rule it out :biggrin.:

and on that note, I'm done,

gallery_48988_16024_90456.jpg

Hidden Content

gallery_48988_16024_108258.jpg

Brother Garland cursed under his breath as he stumbled, again. Regaining his footing, he looked down to his feet, unsurprised to once again see that damn fish. Despite its apparent diminutive size, it had little trouble unsettling the bulk and weight of the Astartes. Brother Garland hated this tower, its walls seemed to shift and move, corralling and separating his squad. And that damn fish. No matter how many times he had shot, stabbed, crushed, eviscerated it, within minutes it was back beneath his feet.

Spying movement in the gloom of the hallway ahead, swiftly raising his pistol, he released a volley, only for it clatter harmlessly against the stonework as he stumbled once more. Releasing a roar of pent up frustration, Garland swooped low, snatching the troublesome daemon by its tail, swinging it full force, multiple times into the wall beside him, then tossing it the length of the hallway to noisily splatter against the distant wall. Perhaps this time it would stay down.

Taking a moment to regain his composure, Brother Garland once more set out to rejoin with his broken squad, within the cursed tower. Having taken no more than five steps, even over the sounds of distant warfare, the now familiar wet slap of the daemon fish’s footsteps began behind him.

EDIT: Just realised some explanation may be necessary. You see, that fish model is "Slop", a Tzeenchan daemon/familiar from Warhammer Quest: The Silver Tower, and in-game if he negatively affects movement of the heroes.

Edited by Grotsmasha

Took me quite a bit longer than I expected, as I was busy painting some Vindicators for my Iron Warriors, and I needed a break from metallic vehicles. So, I went with black, which turned out satisfying. For the lore part: I'm not a native English speaker, so I hope I didn't mangle grammar too much.

C1GcabZ.jpg

Teleportation could be a convenient tool at times, mused Brother Regias, as he steered the Rhino into the shadow of a ruined manufactorium. But when the Great Conspirator's spawn were near, and the Immaterium was in constant flux, nothing could beat 30 tons of tracked plasteel with an attitude. A warp-spawned beast bounded into his path, apparently attracted by the remains of of a human soldier. It giggled, gleefully ripped something metallic from the dead man's chest and opened several mouths to swallow it, its many tongues squabbling over the morsel. Regias felt the machine lunge forward, as if its spirit itself has been offended by the sight. He hit the daemon-thing head on and it disappeared beneath the Rhino's tracks with a soggy squelch. Wayward magic harmlessly flickered over the warded hull as the creature was torn back into the warp. The engine's thrum sounded almost satisfied as Regias continued his path towards the battlelines.

Wow. Just...wow. That is pretty.

It also gives me a thought. I know that we’re allowing the exorcists into this party, and I don’t doubt there is a fear of entry bloat, but what about Ordo Malleus? Inquisitors specifically? I’d love the motivation to get a guy painted for next month.

Just a question, will the voting take place in a separate thread? We currently have a nice collection of entries and it would be nice if they were all coalited into a well presented thread one after the other. That way we can see all the models, and then read their background lore all on the one page, all uniformly presented.

It also gives me a thought. I know that we’re allowing the exorcists into this party, and I don’t doubt there is a fear of entry bloat, but what about Ordo Malleus? Inquisitors specifically? I’d love the motivation to get a guy painted for next month.

That's up to Skywrath and the mods I guess, but for me personally, I see no problem with it. I have a converted Terminator Ordo Malleus Inquisitor as part of my GK collection, and the model looks dope surrounded by GKs.

Took me quite a bit longer than I expected, as I was busy painting some Vindicators for my Iron Warriors, and I needed a break from metallic vehicles. So, I went with black, which turned out satisfying. For the lore part: I'm not a native English speaker, so I hope I didn't mangle grammar too much.

C1GcabZ.jpg

Teleportation could be a convenient tool at times, mused Brother Regias, as he steered the Rhino into the shadow of a ruined manufactorium. But when the Great Conspirator's spawn were near, and the Immaterium was in constant flux, nothing could beat 30 tons of tracked plasteel with an attitude. A warp-spawned beast bounded into his path, apparently attracted by the remains of of a human soldier. It giggled, gleefully ripped something metallic from the dead man's chest and opened several mouths to swallow it, its many tongues squabbling over the morsel. Regias felt the machine lunge forward, as if its spirit itself has been offended by the sight. He hit the daemon-thing head on and it disappeared beneath the Rhino's tracks with a soggy squelch. Wayward magic harmlessly flickered over the warded hull as the creature was torn back into the warp. The engine's thrum sounded almost satisfied as Regias continued his path towards the battlelines.

Oh my, that narrative gave me some inspiration for an upcoming submission. Upvoted my good sir, excellent work!

I don't see why not - go for gold! The challenge was meant to be Grey Knights specific, but seeing how the Grey Knight is not strictly aligned to Space Marines anymore (cheers to the new codex), and more akin to a force in the Forces of the Imperium, then Inquisitors are allowed. That being said though, that's probably as far as I can stretch this - Inquisitors, Exorcists, Grey Knights (unless there are other successor chapters, that I'm not thinking of). 

Just a question, will the voting take place in a separate thread? We currently have a nice collection of entries and it would be nice if they were all coalited into a well presented thread one after the other. That way we can see all the models, and then read their background lore all on the one page, all uniformly presented.

That's up to Skywrath and the mods I guess, but for me personally, I see no problem with it. I have a converted Terminator Ordo Malleus Inquisitor as part of my GK collection, and the model looks dope surrounded by GKs.

The voting will be in this thread and it will be open on the 26th, and conclude on the 27th. Me and the moderation team are debating how to do this better, but here are the options. 

Option 1: There will be an actual poll for every award in this thread. So four replies from me, each addressing a separate award. This month there are only three awards (Original, Imaginative, Favourite) with champion being only available on the third month. So each person can vote once for each of the three categories, and in the instance of a mistake, allowed to change the vote twice. After which, if said person changes his mind for a third time and wants to change the award nomination, he would have to send me a PM, so I can change that. 

Option 2: I call for a vote, and each participant will just post a reply here, outlining who they nominate to win for each of the three awards. Afterwards, I tally up the votes, declare the winners, give the badges (awards) out, and provide the narrative for next month.

Which reminds me - if any of you have ideas for the official narrative next month, don't be afraid to post below so I can incorporate your idea in the overall system. That being said, the month concludes on the 27th of November 12.00am AEST (technically the 26th, as stated before, but eh). Everyone outside Australia will have a 12hr grace period to account for shifting time-zones.

Edited by Skywrath

When it comes to encouraging a greater number of regular GK forum viewers (and also the wider B&C forum), to participate in voting, the first option could be a really good idea.

The efficiency of placing 4 votes with a poll can be highly inviting for potential voting participants. For greater feedback/discussion a person can still share their thoughts on top of poll voting if they so wish. So best of both options?

++ The moderation team have decided a poll will be running. Thanks for the feedback, everyone! ++

++ It has been decided that the prize for winning the "champion" award will be a Grey Knight Terminator box. To be eligible for said award, you have to be the three time consecutive winner of any of the above 3 categories (Imaginative, Favourite, Original). That implies that the prize can be won three times at a maximum!* ++

Another option would be to run the Poll in Amicus or The Forge to increase exposure for the event

That is an idea - I'll have a PM sent your way later today about some ideas + other things.

Regarding my admission - repainted a BC I had a while back, as my GMNDK sadly, needs more time. I guess he's my candidate for next month. Presenting - the Brother Captain Aurelius of the 3rd Brotherhood. He still needs a few touch ups on the base/snow, but other than that, happy to call him done. 

qW5G9Sk.jpg
oGK9vcX.jpg
PKUXuCh.jpg
B852HD8.jpg

Fluff to go with him - 

Brother-Captain Aurelius. That title had a vibe to it. Not one of duty, service and sacrifice, although those were constants in any war, but one of a brotherhood. A brotherhood that was forged in fire and fury, countless times reinforced with the cold steel of humanities faith. Of course, as a brother-captain, these traits were tested on the regular, especially when fighting the demonic. As Aurelius stared onto the war-torn zone of Armaggedon, he wondered, how much more times do those traits have to be tested. There were hundreds of thousands of Grey Knights before him, that had their faith tested, and came to two conclusions - one of victory, or one of death. Then it hit him - the key to the trial was to see victory, no to search for it, no matter what the consequences were. Pyrrhic victories were acceptable to, as they provide a path to a full-blown victory. Enough victories stave off the oppression of death, and he thought bitterly, the prospect of being by the Emperor's side. Gripping his Deamon Hammer, the Brother-Captain teleported into the fray of the warzone beneath him. Reinforced behind by a shimmering teleportation of the Paladins, both in mind and voice, seeing the path of victory in front of them, they spat in the face of the demonic: "We are the Hammer!"

* - the original idea for the prize would have been the Grey Knight codex for 9th, but seeing how that isn't dropping anytime soon, this is plan B. 
Edited by Skywrath

Quick note, I have touched up my Voldus and taken new pics and edited my post. Just in time before the challenge finishes. Hope these look better than before.

Cheers and goodluck!