Modelling veteran/chosen weapons wysiwyg

Sviox

As stated in the army list, both Legion Veteran Tactical Squad members and Legion Command Squad members have by default a bolter, bolt pistol and a chainsword. They can exchange any of them but the basic configuration is the same: one gun, one pistol and one close combat weapon. I'd like to hear/see how you'll modelled you minis with all the gear carried. Especially I have trouble finding inspiration how to model the bolter for minis that are close combat oriented. Do you just leave the bolter out?

It depends. If I'm taking an extra weapon, like a combi melta, or power weapon etc, I'll definately model it on them.

But if its a default weapon, the rule of cool applies. They have to have the weapon, so having a cool stance or an empty hand trumps wysiwyg. Never really had an issue from other players!

There’s plenty of IWB carrying going on for pistols throughout the hobby...they are there even if you can’t see them. This works because

A. It’s default equipment, so it *shouldn’t* be a surprise that a model would have one even if it’s not seen
B. Bolt pistols are not exactly auto-win options.

...however, if someone said their guys had Chainswords, bolters, and plasma pistols, then I would expect it to be clear someone that they have plasma on their hip since that’s an unusual and drastically different option.

For me personally, I just use the holsters and slap them on everyone.

P.s. here of my IX Legion Machine Killer Vets:

Hidden Content

Vet   Melt Squad F

Vet Melt shooter F

Vet Melt shooter side1

Vet Melt shooter Ri

Vet Melt shooter Rear

Vet Melt bomb F1

Vet Melt bomb S1

Vet Melt bomb R1

Vet Melt Sgt F

Vet Melt Sgt Close

Vet Melt Sgt R

...and here are 3/5 of my (WIP) Command Squad:

Hidden Content

Command Squad F1

Command Axe

Command Saber F

Command Saber R

Command Saber R 2

Command Volkite F

Command Volkite S

Edited by Indefragable

Yeah, like others have said, I don’t bother modelling standard stuff like pistols on things if they come with it by default, same with things like grenades. I only model something if it’s an upgrade or an optional extra.

Basically I just go by the policy: Does this wargear change anything about the models base abilities or stats? If yes, model it, if not, don’t stress it.

Especially I have trouble finding inspiration how to model the bolter for minis that are close combat oriented. Do you just leave the bolter out?

I’m also thinking about this. In the fluff there is plenty about mag-locking bolters, but I don’t think that will look convincing. I want to try some way to make straps for bolters, like does Greigor Fell-handed have one? Or the space wolf in Kill Team Cassius?

The problem with bolters is the lack of a handle now they come with the hand. Its easier to use a BP hand, chop the pistol, chop the hand from the bolter, use a holstered pistol. Or use a bolter, then attach the holster on side, then melee weapon to the back of the mini. 

• 2 weeks later...

As stated in the army list, both Legion Veteran Tactical Squad members and Legion Command Squad members have by default a bolter, bolt pistol and a chainsword. They can exchange any of them but the basic configuration is the same: one gun, one pistol and one close combat weapon. I'd like to hear/see how you'll modelled you minis with all the gear carried. Especially I have trouble finding inspiration how to model the bolter for minis that are close combat oriented. Do you just leave the bolter out?

My XIIth Legion squads have their full kit modelled - grenades and pistols all round. They're based on the BaC/BoP boxes which don't have quite enough pistols for everyone. I've supplemented them with the Tigrus and Phobos pattern bolt pistols from Forge World.

Astartes can fire a bolter one-handed so I've gone for boltgun and axe in hands, pistol in holster. Some are modelled with both hands on the gun and the chainaxe mag-locked to their back. If anybody queries how they contort themselves to draw the weapon, this piece of wargear from the Deathwatch RPG is the solution:

DIPOLE MAG-LOCK

For warriors in power armour, mag-locks are as common as holsters for securing weapons. The typical mag-lock consists of strong electromagnets near a suit of power armour’s surface, and mirrored magnets on the weapon to be attached. A dipole mag-lock can reverse its magnetic field to literally propel the weapon into the wielder’s hand. This is typically accomplished by embedding small proximity triggers in the glove of the weapon hand that cause the magnet to reverse polarity when brought near it. However, versions using verbal and more sophisticated somatic cues also exist.

A dipole mag-lock grants the Quick Draw Talent for the upgraded weapon. If the character already has Quick Draw, he may draw his weapon as part of a Parry, allowing him to go from unarmed to deflecting an enemy blade with his own in the blink of an eye.

Upgrades: Any Pistol or Basic ranged weapon, or any melee weapon that may be wielded in one hand

Photos behind the spoiler tag.

gallery_26877_16737_26056.jpg

gallery_26877_16737_52917.jpg

gallery_26877_16737_108986.jpg

gallery_26877_16737_73798.jpg

gallery_26877_16737_24481.jpg

gallery_26877_16737_108434.jpg

I definitely echo what seems to be the basic consensus in this thread, and across the hobby as a whole, in my experience with it.

If it strays from default equipment, combis, special pistols, special melee, etc... Model it.

When it comes to the vets, I (and folks in my local area) wouldn't care if somebody didn't have the default melee-weapon and bolt pistols modeled on every vet.

I'd counter back that the models do look damn gorgeous with the pistol holsters and melee on them, though. The perfect amount of "busy" looking for marine scale models.

I love that "loaded out" look on the Luna Wolves force I'm mustering, like so:

Luna Wolves Veteran Tactical Squad Primus & Rhino - Front

Luna Wolves Veteran Tactical Squad Primus & Rhino - Back

Edited by Dark Legionnare

• 2 weeks later...

Those Luna Wolves look amazing.

But I think @Sviox is trying to say sometimes you want to emphasize the melee aspect, and so it's the bolter that wants to be stowed. I have some models like this, a World Eater I was working on today, and a Word Bearer (see photo). The idea behind this model originally was he was going to be a 'no frills' centurion with a tainted blade. But he's been demoted to a veteran squad. I don't like having a boltgun one handed so far from the body, so the right hand had to be a bolt pistol. And that meant I ought to try to get a boltgun somewhere - here I've managed to squeeze it between the body and the backpack.

med_gallery_93054_12142_117433.jpg

I will try to greenstuff a small strap around it. I wasn't feeling brave enough for a shoulder strap. If I do another, maybe a death company or black templar bolter can be found with ropes or chains looking like they are holding it in place.

Edit: I see @Cactus has made the one-handed bolter look very convincing. I will try that too. Now I just need to source those chainaxes!

Edited by LameBeard

Thanks LameBeard. I think the key is to line up the head with the boltgun or, as I've done on some unpainted models not in the photos, have the gun held low and the head facing the way the axe is chopping. If the model isn't facing in the direction of either weapon you get a peculiar off-balance appearance.

My chainaxes are a mix of Forge World's (nice but pricy), Kromlech's (good value but a bit oversized) and Anvil's (best balance of design and cost).

I love Anvil Industry generally, but wasn’t taken with the chain axes on the website, the teeth don’t look all fine and pointy like I’d want them, but maybe I’ll give them a go. It’s a bit of a shame Anvil stuff migrating to primaris scale and getting less useful for heresy. I also regret not buying those forgeworld heavy flamers you used - they look beautiful.

Back on topic: I added a greenstuff rope. Badly, but I think in the process I’ve learned how I might do better next time. Will try to post more attempts at some point.

Edited by LameBeard

• 3 months later...

I do somewhat have a relevant question for this thread anyway!

Combi volkites, I've just used volkites as there actually is no model for it and thematically the army doesn't use bolters. Would anyone have an actual issue with that?

Functionally a combi volkite is a volkite charger with an optional 24" shot...

So are you saying you want volkites instead of combi-volkites? Or to count as combi-volkites?

I wouldn’t have a problem, but it would be good to have some other visual indicator they are a veteran squad not a tactical support squad.

Btw the Exclusive Cataphractii Praetor has combi-volkite, but I realise this would be very expensive way to equip a squad!

I've used pop goes the monkey before and not been wildly impressed. I'd considered 3D printed stuff but I'm keen to avoid using combi volkites as they basically lock the units into being Legion vets or seekers.

As lame beard somewhat hinted at, being able to give them volkites let's them double up as vets or as support marines. I'm not intending to mix and match them, i.e - they're always vets or always support, so it should be easy to tell them apart.

I expect I'll use them as support marines for most games, but for the smaller ones where you can't pride of the Legion to get volkite wielding terminators as troops, having the ability to use them as combi weapon vets is important!

I've used pop goes the monkey before and not been wildly impressed. I'd considered 3D printed stuff but I'm keen to avoid using combi volkites as they basically lock the units into being Legion vets or seekers.

As lame beard somewhat hinted at, being able to give them volkites let's them double up as vets or as support marines. I'm not intending to mix and match them, i.e - they're always vets or always support, so it should be easy to tell them apart.

I expect I'll use them as support marines for most games, but for the smaller ones where you can't pride of the Legion to get volkite wielding terminators as troops, having the ability to use them as combi weapon vets is important!

Was it some older stuff from Pop or what? Asking because I've had nothing but good results from him in regards to heads, shoulders and weapons

I have the Combi Volkites in my Bits Box as i intend to build some Veterans with them.

But if you play them as Vets, you probably want to throw in some close combat weapons top and the support squad can only have chainswords.

@geredas, it was a few years ago. I bought some shoulder pad symbols and they were really pretty mediocre. They weren't very good quality (really thick and with massive edges) for the cost.

I've bought some 3D prints from local sources for a lot less and they've been significantly better.

@bung, I've chucked a handful of weapons on the models for aesthetic effect. I think it'll be fine for the most part, it's mainly just the volkites as combi that I was concerned about! Tbh, playing a lost legion itself may draw some interesting conversations anyway!