Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alternative Ctan

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Valkyrion

Valkyrion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,533 posts

Official Ctan options are £95 for a Transcendent, £68 for a Void Dragon or two pretty naff resin models so I've been looking at the WFB undead range and quite like this guy;

01.jpg

I don't know how big he is though, but for use as a transcendent what do you think?

• mithrilforge, Sandlemad, N1SB and 3 others like this

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,263 posts

The Lady Olynder model looks pretty decent as well with the right "floaty" feel. Maybe replace the little ghosts with scarabs or something.

99120207064_LadyOlynder01.jpg

James Grover over at Goonhammer has made good use of the Morghast Archai as well.

kgQlKhy-1440x1080.jpg

• N1SB, Xenith, walter h and 1 other like this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Miek

Miek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 216 posts
  • Faction: Necrons

Official Ctan options are £95 for a Transcendent, £68 for a Void Dragon or two pretty naff resin models so I've been looking at the WFB undead range and quite like this guy;
01.jpg

I don't know how big he is though, but for use as a transcendent what do you think?

This one with a robotic head could be nice, perhaps you could get your hands on one of the void dragon's spare heads? But I feel like there's something wrong with his ribs, it's bothering me. It's not like it's supposed to represent a human (as a shard), but still..

Edited by Miek, 17 October 2020 - 11:01 AM.

• walter h likes this

Irate Khornate

Irate Khornate

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts
I used Lady Olynder for mine, just assembled her without the banshees, vine, and crown. Used a few of the tiny decorative scarabs to cover up the gaps and a couple more for consistency.
  • Valkyrion, Karhedron and Nemesor Tyriks like this

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,263 posts

I used Lady Olynder for mine, just assembled her without the banshees, vine, and crown. Used a few of the tiny decorative scarabs to cover up the gaps and a couple more for consistency.

I would like to see that. smile.png
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Valkyrion

Valkyrion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,533 posts

I would like to see that. smile.png

I second this motion.

QuarterPounder

QuarterPounder

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 126 posts
  • Faction: Desert Ravens, Space Wolves
I'm curious how big the guy in the OP is relative to the Void Dragon and Nightbringer, respectively? He is very cool... I could see conversion potential swapping or reworking his left hand to hold a scythe.
Homebrew Chapter: The Desert Ravens

Not to be confused with the Dessert Ravens, a traitor chapter dedicated solely to pursuing all things covered in an excess of sugar.

Irate Khornate

Irate Khornate

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts
Ill post a picture when I finish painting the model. Wound up discovering how they did the body for the Void dragon by sheer accident to while painting the silent kings cape. Leadbelcher base, used aethermatic blue as a wash, then a drybrush of runefang steel/stormhost silver.
  • Mr4Minutes likes this

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 802 posts
I stuck a reaper bones skeletal champion on top of a reaper bones medium air elemental (Added a scythe using drukhari rifles) . Total cost about $8.

1079699_sm-.jpeg
  • walter h likes this

Aeri

Aeri

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 102 posts
I had the old nightbringer metal model and it was just a pain to paint and assemble.
Almost bought the resin one yesterday thinking "how bad could it be?".
I'd rather find a decent proxy to be honest.
Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,984 posts

What about Syll'eske without the silly Daemonette?

Syll%27Esske.jpg

He'd probably look great in a living metal skin tone, potentially with a head swap.

0__sized.jpg

Edited by Xenith, 12 January 2021 - 11:18 AM.

• Sandlemad and Miek like this

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pnggallery_58096_13272_607.pngXX\

Aeri

Aeri

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 102 posts
Oh that's a nice idea. How does the size compare?

Edit: just stumbled upon this beautiful model.
https://youtu.be/9DyYO_UE6Wk
https://www.ragecraf...roducts/banshee

What do you think? Would the size fit? Appears to be on the smaller side.

Edited by Aeri, 12 January 2021 - 03:37 PM.

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,290 posts

I think a lot of the AoS Endless Spells would work. They give the C'tan a cool not-quite-anthropomorphic look, makes them more alien and abstract than e.g. a greater daemon.

Rhuriadh, formerly of WHC, did a fantastic C'tan based off of the purple sun. Seems he achieved a nanobot/grey goo look using texture paint and it's striking for "a C’tan who never truly made the transfer from ‘terrifying paradimensional star vampire’ to ‘even more terrifying necrodermis god-surrogate’"

B6ppXYdgK4oudj3x.jpg

There's a decent and simpler version here: https://www.reddit.c...nscendent_ctan/ It would need a solid paintjob but I could see it working, has a sort of weird sci-fi look with those radiations more than an AoS one to my mind anyway.

05m3qznmpks51.jpg?width=735&auto=webp&s=

Edited by Sandlemad, 12 January 2021 - 04:51 PM.

The silent but deadly king

The silent but deadly king

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14 posts

How about this guy as a nightbinger? I put him on a bigger base.

https://th.bing.com/...isl=&pid=ImgRaw

He literally has the souls of his victims around him. Sure, fragile as hell and you could pin those souls with miniature admamantium rods and they'd still beak off but he looks cool. His crude mechanical look might reflec6t necrons adding to his punishment by trapping him in a mechanical form var cruder in form than their own.

Also at least 2 c'tan have been described as fiery or flaming, like N'phoran the spiral flame, so a big fire elemental might be ok.

Edited by The silent but deadly king, 12 January 2021 - 05:36 PM.

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,726 posts
  • Faction: Confessors
Kingdom Death's watcher comes on a 50mm base:
kdbuild-Watcher-Front.jpg

gallery_29004_6198_9307.pnggallery_48988_6285_7306.pnggallery_48988_6285_1776.jpggallery_48988_6285_6092.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_2146.pngcatg2.pnggallery_45765_11565_4862.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifgallery_30308_9518_8389.pnggallery_74802_15827_10034.jpggallery_48988_15738_19809.pnggallery_30308_9518_8597.jpg

I've started a twitch channel, you can find it here !

VoceNoctum

VoceNoctum

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts

I had the old nightbringer metal model and it was just a pain to paint and assemble.
Almost bought the resin one yesterday thinking "how bad could it be?".
I'd rather find a decent proxy to be honest.
Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I was lucky recently and snagged a Nightbringer from the GW webstore start of December. It took weeks to ship, and I figured it'd be canceled as an error or something so was looking on ebay. They had a Nightbringer that closed at $230!

So GW shipped mine, I looked at the model and it's just such a bad model. So I sold it on ebay for $100ish. Pictures of just the box seem to sell for higher than pictures of the bad resin model...

Anyway, my Nightbringer will be a modified Umbra Samaritan from Infinity. It's metal, but I'm okay with that. Based it on a 40mm and cut a Scythe from some other model, now deciding how to Necron-ize it.

the-umbra-2.png

Likewise, the GW Deceiver model sucks, so I'm using the Cthulhu Wars King in Yellow, also Necron-ized:
RPG-CG-Y3-King-In-Yellow.png

Haven't actually finished either one though, too many other things on the plate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users