Alternative Ctan

Valkyrion

Official Ctan options are £95 for a Transcendent, £68 for a Void Dragon or two pretty naff resin models so I've been looking at the WFB undead range and quite like this guy;

01.jpg

I don't know how big he is though, but for use as a transcendent what do you think?

This one with a robotic head could be nice, perhaps you could get your hands on one of the void dragon's spare heads? But I feel like there's something wrong with his ribs, it's bothering me. It's not like it's supposed to represent a human (as a shard), but still..

Edited by Miek

I used Lady Olynder for mine, just assembled her without the banshees, vine, and crown. Used a few of the tiny decorative scarabs to cover up the gaps and a couple more for consistency.

I would like to see that. :smile.:

• 2 months later...

I had the old nightbringer metal model and it was just a pain to paint and assemble.

Almost bought the resin one yesterday thinking "how bad could it be?".

I'd rather find a decent proxy to be honest.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I think a lot of the AoS Endless Spells would work. They give the C'tan a cool not-quite-anthropomorphic look, makes them more alien and abstract than e.g. a greater daemon.

Rhuriadh, formerly of WHC, did a fantastic C'tan based off of the purple sun. Seems he achieved a nanobot/grey goo look using texture paint and it's striking for "a C’tan who never truly made the transfer from ‘terrifying paradimensional star vampire’ to ‘even more terrifying necrodermis god-surrogate’"

B6ppXYdgK4oudj3x.jpg

There's a decent and simpler version here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Necrontyr/comments/j9ig48/my_take_on_a_transcendent_ctan/ It would need a solid paintjob but I could see it working, has a sort of weird sci-fi look with those radiations more than an AoS one to my mind anyway.

05m3qznmpks51.jpg?width=735&auto=webp&s=

Edited by Sandlemad

How about this guy as a nightbinger? I put him on a bigger base.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R6b58eb4722bf6692601e64588e9b6449?rik=EP43d5%2fW7%2b5F9w&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gardenninja.com%2fwp-content%2fblogs.dir%2f1%2ffiles%2fcryx%2feasphixious.jpg&ehk=Dn5v2BmrXJ%2fDq%2fqPD82Ylh3hox5xnw5fLcZ1Uph2Rw0%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

He literally has the souls of his victims around him. Sure, fragile as hell and you could pin those souls with miniature admamantium rods and they'd still beak off but he looks cool. His crude mechanical look might reflec6t necrons adding to his punishment by trapping him in a mechanical form var cruder in form than their own.

Also at least 2 c'tan have been described as fiery or flaming, like N'phoran the spiral flame, so a big fire elemental might be ok.

Edited by The silent but deadly king

I had the old nightbringer metal model and it was just a pain to paint and assemble.

Almost bought the resin one yesterday thinking "how bad could it be?".

I'd rather find a decent proxy to be honest.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I was lucky recently and snagged a Nightbringer from the GW webstore start of December. It took weeks to ship, and I figured it'd be canceled as an error or something so was looking on ebay. They had a Nightbringer that closed at $230!

So GW shipped mine, I looked at the model and it's just such a bad model. So I sold it on ebay for $100ish. Pictures of just the box seem to sell for higher than pictures of the bad resin model...

Anyway, my Nightbringer will be a modified Umbra Samaritan from Infinity. It's metal, but I'm okay with that. Based it on a 40mm and cut a Scythe from some other model, now deciding how to Necron-ize it.

the-umbra-2.png

Likewise, the GW Deceiver model sucks, so I'm using the Cthulhu Wars King in Yellow, also Necron-ized:

RPG-CG-Y3-King-In-Yellow.png

Haven't actually finished either one though, too many other things on the plate.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted to turn the Sauron the Necromancer model into a C'tan tbh

99111464103_SaurontheNecromancerTheNEW01

Just remove the eye there, maybe replace it with the Ankh. If you wanted you could probably remodel the whole breastplate to be more Necron-esque. I think he could be used as Transcendant, Nightbringer, or Deceiver pretty easily

Edited by Ion

• 4 weeks later...

The new Void Dragon comes on an 80mm base, while the Deceiver and Nightbringer come with a 40mm base.  Originally, I think they came with a 30mm base, though (if I remember my old metal one correctly).

Olynder comes with a 60mm base.

The Nightmare Predator (picture in the OP) looks like its on a 60mm base (kit has 3 models, and they picture with 90mm base as the 4-faced one).

The Morghast come with 60mm bases.

Odds are that the Predator might work okay.  If you can, talk to your local Tournament Organizers, I'd ask them how they feel about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else thought that the twinstone thing from the Lumineth Endless Spells would be decent as a transcendent C'Tan? I got one off eBay for twelve bucks, so I think I'll model it up as a shard that hasn't been breached/is in the process of re-awakening with some necrony bits placed around it...

But I feel like there's something wrong with his ribs, it's bothering me. It's not like it's supposed to represent a human (as a shard), but still..

As I recall, even the Nightbringer took on a humanoid form in order to physically represent the fears of mortals in order to elicit a greater response from them. Though I can't remember whether the Nihtbringer took on the aspect of the Grim Reaper, or whether the idea of the Grim Reaper is a race memory in humans planted by the C'Tan to make us fear them. 

Anyone else thought that the twinstone thing from the Lumineth Endless Spells would be decent as a transcendent C'Tan? I got one off eBay for twelve bucks, so I think I'll model it up as a shard that hasn't been breached/is in the process of re-awakening with some necrony bits placed around it...

I used it as part of one:

1100588_sm-.jpeg