Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

new Fanmade Short movie

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Imren

Imren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 705 posts
  • Faction: Legio XX

I don't think people need to say its not as good as Astartes. You wouldn't like if you posted a model you painted here and somebody replied "Well it's not as good as this frater's"

I see your point, but I can't refrain from giving constructive critique by comparing to better work results and explaining why and how to get there.

If I post a picture of a painted of mine mini I'd appreciate that fraters give me their honest opinion even if it is a thumbs down, and explain why and how to improve it to match or at least come close to those paint jobs that are deemed very good by the community.

Edited by Imren, 20 October 2020 - 09:39 PM.

smileyjim

smileyjim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 147 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Is easy to knock something. I really enjoyed this and hope to see more. It’s nice to see the good guys win once in awhile.

When do they not win? Even in 40k the imperium win most of the time. This was a standard copy paste predictable hollywood ending. I did like the nod to old samurai films with the last killing blow.

Great effort by the creator and I'm sure they learnt a lot making this.

Xenophon40k

Xenophon40k

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 29 posts

I really liked it, the champion and the CSM are made with love.

Write 40k novels, take a look and let me know if you like it.
https://www.patreon....ht-for-42323296
https://www.instagram.com/xenophon40k/

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,802 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE

I like Helsreach over Astartes as the best but that’s me .

=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Medjugorje

Medjugorje

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,495 posts

I really love the narrative of this conflict. A Word Bearer conflicting a Black Templar about fallowing the Imperial Cult,... the Word Bearer knows so much but the Templar is ( as he should be as a son of Dorn and Sigismund) too stoic...

• Black Blow Fly likes this

Medjugorje

Medjugorje

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,495 posts

I like Helsreach over Astartes as the best but that’s me .

I love the start of the series... but after a time the Uncanny Valley effect was too big.  Thats why I like the beginning in black and white and dont like the try for a more realistic version.

Astartes was great because of its perfection in visual effects and the story was great too.

• reckoning likes this

smileyjim

smileyjim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 147 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Astartes told a story with no words (mostly) which is super hard to do and one of the reasons it was impressive.
My kid loves a cartoon called samurai jack and they do the same thing very well.
  • reckoning likes this

Chaplain Mollusc

Chaplain Mollusc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 78 posts
  • Faction: Raptors Chapter
I'm confused at the huge difference between the quality of the models and textures (quite good indeed) and the quality of the animation (rather poor). A decent job over all, and I wish the creator good fortune!
  • Black Blow Fly, Hungry Nostraman Lizard and WrathOfTheLion like this

"If you're leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun." --The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

mel_danes

mel_danes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 379 posts

I'm confused at the huge difference between the quality of the models and textures (quite good indeed) and the quality of the animation (rather poor). A decent job over all, and I wish the creator good fortune!

Because modeling and texturing are a completely different skillset then animation. The creators may be very adept at modeling and texturing, but animation or scubbing mocap is something they are still struggling with.
Being an expert in all of those skills is exceedingly rare in a small group.
  • Black Blow Fly and Hungry Nostraman Lizard like this

Volt

Volt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,091 posts
  • Faction: Anges de Vindication

On one hand it feels bad to slam somebody who's obviously starting out. Child-like art in an adult isn't to be necessarily condemned unless it's overmarketed as it's a process of skill growth, but at the same time... animation looks pretty damn horrible. Dude is obviously not an animator similar to Mark Louis Spark's problem, and thus the work turns out looking incredibly jank in part to an otherwise high production looking value to it in texture fidelity. That said the models themselves aren't great either, they only look good because of the crisp textures and shaders. And unlike Helsreach, while the animation itself is terrible, it doesn't have a good storyline either. Decent for a first attempt of a novice, but otherwise it's pretty bad.

• Hungry Nostraman Lizard and smileyjim like this

+Quod vult valde vult+

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,399 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

Most people are not good at all stages of the production pipeline. Would be great to see some folks maybe work together to make a short. Working with others to help with modeling, rigging and animating would help a lot I think.

The models are fine I think, you can work with okay models and do good, but the animation feels very linear and doesn't convey weight or motion as well as it could with some further refinement. They shouldn't be afraid to make refinements or even publish a second round on it, I would love to see it with another pass on it.

Perhaps making it shorter would help a bit as well. I know the last time I worked on an animated short, getting overambitious with the length was a big factor in our ability to finish it at the quality we were after. I know the 12 minutes or so that this is was not easy to get finished.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion, 24 October 2020 - 01:48 AM.

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,802 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
It was free to watch. I don’t get how anyone can claim Mark Louis is not an animator.
=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Volt

Volt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,091 posts
  • Faction: Anges de Vindication

It was free to watch. I don’t get how anyone can claim Mark Louis is not an animator.

Because he isn't lol. He's a prop guy that makes scenes for projects. He also lost/never got a mocap suit, so all animation was done the hard way which he isn't specialized with at all, hence the animations looking janky and worse than many SFM animators who have far more experience than him. Although Death of Hope was a censored.gif in general. Additionally, being free to watch has nothing to do with quality of a work.

Most people are not good at all stages of the production pipeline. Would be great to see some folks maybe work together to make a short. Working with others to help with modeling, rigging and animating would help a lot I think.

That's just the Exodite project. It's being worked on by community veterans, hence the high quality of execution in the trailer(s).

Edited by Dusktiger, 24 October 2020 - 04:03 PM.
used the censor emoji, stop swear filter dodging

+Quod vult valde vult+

NovemberIX

NovemberIX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,065 posts
  • Faction: November Warriors

Reality is, if someone told me this was a cutscene from a new 40k game, I’d probably believe them. The animation may lack some mass and weight, but even professional studios have struggled with that. I think maybe the worst thing technical that could be said is it looks kinda like a machinima. Thematically I take a few issues, the BT just seemed to be lacking in ZEAL. The Kurosawa close really didn’t land for me, blame it on my choices in entertainment but I found it cliche, and a cop out. Still though, kudos and a good effort that should be applauded. More fan made 40K content only benefits the community.

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

I like the modeling and texture work (though that sword at the very beginning. Have that Brother be chastised for allowing his war-gear to be in such a state of disrepair... What exactly is that sword going to cut?!

Because he isn't lol. He's a prop guy that makes scenes for projects. He also lost/never got a mocap suit, so all animation was done the hard way which he isn't specialized with at all, hence the animations looking janky and worse than many SFM animators who have far more experience than him. Although Death of Hope was a fustercluck in general. Additionally, being free to watch has nothing to do with quality of a work.

That's true, he's not an animator. To say the animations are jankier than many SFM animators is a disservice to Mark's improvement, and phenomenal job in accomplishing weight and momentum. Does he get them right all the time? No. In those moments he does? It feels great.

J25oay8.jpg

Midnightmare

Midnightmare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,932 posts
I really enjoyed this :tu: :tu: :tu:
bl-logo.jpggallery_45765_12339_50558.png
“We are returned”
Black Legion WIP