Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sunday Preview: Warcry Goes Underground

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,920 posts

Thanks 01RTB01, those cards better come with a club sandwich at that price -.-

I truly hope the rushed pace at which this book is coming out is not an indicator of the quality in it.

Coming from an era that remembers sales of epic blisters for 50p each...

There's been numerous increments over the years and this one will become "normal" and we'll accept it or stop buying.

As someone who's played since 94, has a decent job and some disposable income and no other hobbies/ vices I'm intrigued to see the new primaris prices. I think the sad thing is that their profits and share price have rocketed and the prices still are climbing.

Their international pricing model is a whole different dimension on top of this.

Still, like the turkey voting for Thanksgiving and Christmas I'll still keep buying but the volume will lessen...

I'm assuming blood bowl will hit triple figures for cost. I'd love to be proven wrong.
  • Firedrake Cordova and Black_Knight like this

RA-sig.jpg

Urauloth

Urauloth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,144 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

This thread is a trap for talking about non-WH40k content and I for one am not falling for it. msn-wink.gif

Does look like I'll need to find, what, a £125 shaped hole in my hobby budget real soon though? Ouch. Also I reckon you could kitbash some cool adepts, acolytes, bounty hunters and sellswords out of those new Necromunda models if you were inclined towards modelling Inquisitorial or Rogue Trader retinues.

• Firedrake Cordova and 01RTB01 like this

Its lonely cry comes shivering through the dark,

As beasts roar at the great biting flames,

"Blessed are the chains that bind him to the darkness

and cursed are the blades that leave him lame"

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,231 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

The heresy boxes were excellent starters for armies though, and at the time the game was using the core 40k rules so an extra set of starters would have been confusing/redundant. They were definitely intended and even marketed somewhat as a HH starter though so its disingenuous to say anything other than they teeechnically werent ;) 

Could do with a new one, hopefully with a new rules edition moving away from the trashfire that was 7th :/   

• Antarius, Petitioner's City and Vykes like this

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,399 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

The heresy boxes were excellent starters for armies though, and at the time the game was using the core 40k rules so an extra set of starters would have been confusing/redundant. They were definitely intended and even marketed somewhat as a HH starter though so its disingenuous to say anything other than they teeechnically werent msn-wink.gif 

Could do with a new one, hopefully with a new rules edition moving away from the trashfire that was 7th :/   

Not disingenuous. Comes with no rules, and you have to explicitly ignore the build instructions and know what you're doing to get valid tactical squads, etc. Both of those are quite valid points, especially the second, where you need to have street knowledge or existing rules to even build it correctly. So not starter boxes, but battle boxes like Prophecy of the Wolf, or Tooth and Claw. Except that they're boxed games with separate stuff, so not quite that. Not beginner friendly at all though.

Second is a touchy subject and gets threads locked a lot. Most people wouldn't be against iterating on the core rules if things are compatible, but nuking the system when we've finally got all the legions on the tabletop would not be a bright move and their current reluctance to do so has been quite wise. It's sort of like software, any 'redo' of the system needs to have the same level of features, and most people won't be keen to go from having rules for their legion to none, with a wait time of possibly 8 years to get them back again at FW rate.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion, 20 October 2020 - 12:06 AM.

• Firedrake Cordova likes this

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,527 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
Well they were literally their own boardgames that used hex movement and range calculations. They were an implied "start a heresy army" but theres nothing technical about saying they weren't a starter kit when they pushed a literally different game.

And don't get me started on what had the worse core rules; 6th/7th (basically the same edition but they changed the psychic phase) which lasted 5 and a half years, or 8th an edition that went through so many changes to its core rules that the book was worthless by the last year of its lifespan and and only lasted 3 years before getting ditched.
  • Gederas likes this

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,755 posts
The heresy 30k forums have an excellent conversion to 8th edition; I'm sure you guys know it!
Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,627 posts

The heresy 30k forums have an excellent conversion to 8th edition; I'm sure you guys know it!

They are still one edition behind :D
Jokes aside 9th edition would be cool for 30k ad it has the crusade campaign system
In the end 30k was not about the Great Crusade too? ;)

And NO BaC and BoP were not starters for HH but boardgames in that setting
They were intended as 30k starters by the fanbase and not by GW itself

Returning to the releases of this week
I find the fort interesting for regular 40k too and i am planning to get one or more
The interior maps would be cool for confined space games in KT, pity for their price that is too high for what they offer

Edited by Master Sheol, 20 October 2020 - 07:02 AM.

“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,666 posts

Do Orlocks still have the biker gang vibe, or are they more miners, or both? I'm looking at getting into Necro, but none of the warbands grab me in the same way as say, a mordheim warband does. I think my favourite option might be to use the rules for a chaos or genestealer cult, or maybe use GS cult models with orlock rules. 

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageXX

++ The Baalite Feast of Blades 2016; 2018 ++

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,755 posts

Do Orlocks still have the biker gang vibe, or are they more miners, or both? I'm looking at getting into Necro, but none of the warbands grab me in the same way as say, a mordheim warband does. I think my favourite option might be to use the rules for a chaos or genestealer cult, or maybe use GS cult models with orlock rules.

Both :)

And you can see a hazard suit (gsc armour) on the cover of HoI necromunda-house-of-iron.jpg

Edited by Petitioner's City, 20 October 2020 - 07:31 AM.

• Firedrake Cordova and Xenith like this
Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,666 posts

Both smile.png

Ya, I'd noticed that and it made me look at Orlocks again - I'm wondering if there may be variants of the warbands that are explored in the book - anyone have any experience with the goliath/escher supp's?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageXX

++ The Baalite Feast of Blades 2016; 2018 ++

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,755 posts
I'd argue HoC and HoB are two of the best supplements GW have released - like finally the great worldbuilding of modern Munda met a strong ruleset. They aren't perfect, still many issues, but the lore is really expansive and perspective-changing without being removed from ideas of old.
  • Firedrake Cordova likes this

Alby the Slayer

Alby the Slayer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 72 posts

I'm just here for The Reverie.

Warhammer horrors is a great series, it has so much pontential. Cannot wait to read this new one.

I strongly recommend you grab Requiem Infernal in the mean time. It's a Warhammer Horror title in all but imprint and will very likely be connected to The Reverie in at least some references (as all of Fehervari’s stuff is).

I have it, and I really liked it. :)

Urauloth

Urauloth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,144 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

Well they were literally their own boardgames that used hex movement and range calculations. They were an implied "start a heresy army" but theres nothing technical about saying they weren't a starter kit when they pushed a literally different game.

You know, Betrayal at Calth was such a good game I think it's a real shame it isn't still available, or at the very least that its rules aren't in use under a different name. I suppose that's unrelated to this week's pre-orders, but still...
  • Doctor Perils likes this

Its lonely cry comes shivering through the dark,

As beasts roar at the great biting flames,

"Blessed are the chains that bind him to the darkness

and cursed are the blades that leave him lame"

Kain Mor

Kain Mor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 423 posts
  • Faction: Astra Militarum, Night Lords

You know, Betrayal at Calth was such a good game I think it's a real shame it isn't still available, or at the very least that its rules aren't in use under a different name. I suppose that's unrelated to this week's pre-orders, but still...

Betrayal at calth really is a great game. The rules were so smooth and engaging and I had fun with the asymmetrical missions.

eternal_warrior12

eternal_warrior12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 176 posts
The most fun I’ve had playing GW games the last year have been with Warcry and I chose the Scions when all of the art was teased. I’ve had fun with the Splintered Fang and Untamed Beasts but I want my burny boys. I’ll be getting this box fro sure.

matcap86

matcap86

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 199 posts
  • Faction: DA, Custo, Ad-mech, GsC, SoB
Oooff 60 pounds for 5 marine models is... more than I hoped for.
  • Slave to Darkness likes this

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,399 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

Yeah, that's not ideal. A little bit more than the dawnbreaker.

I did order one squad, I ordered the parts to convert a few in terminator armor as well from elsewhere, after I finished a test model in Tartaros. Will want to be able to field some that way.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion, 23 October 2020 - 12:15 PM.

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Crix

Crix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 74 posts
When is the gladiator, storm speeder and heavy intercessors coming out for preorder?

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,865 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

When is the gladiator, storm speeder and heavy intercessors coming out for preorder?

Later?

We don't know, GW hasn't said. They are likely being set up to be pre-ordered alongside a Codex Supplement or on their own in a few weeks.
  • Redrandy93 and SufficientAnonymity like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Crix

Crix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 74 posts

Later?

We don't know, GW hasn't said. They are likely being set up to be pre-ordered alongside a Codex Supplement or on their own in a few weeks.

Thanks?

Lol was just curious if I missed a prior announcement or one of those leaked release schedules that come out here from time to time. 🙂

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,865 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

Lol was just curious if I missed a prior announcement or one of those leaked release schedules that come out here from time to time.

Not that's I've seen posted anywhere - I'm sure as soon as news about those items is out, you'll see them appear in the threads dedicated to them, or in a new thread.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users