Unit types and the Dark Angels RoW restrictions

Brother-Captain Gilead

So, we have the new black book and with the new black book comes new rites of war with some rather heavy restrictions, specifically on infantry units needing to be carried in a transport in the case of the Eskaton Imperative and even more restrictive in the case of the Steel Fist where that transport also needs to have the tank type.

Regarding these restrictions I have a few questions:

• Does this restriction mean that I can't take my quad launchers to spew some more phosphex if I run the Eskaton Imperative? The quad launchers themselves are artillery and the crew is infantry, so the unit seems to have a mixed unit type, but unfortunately I can't seem to find anything about how that works in the AoD rulebook
  • Does this restriction mean that if I want to have some assault squads ready to jump over to the enemy deployment zone to help clean it up, I need to take away their jump packs and ferry them over in a transport? The assault squad is jump infantry, and the rulebook states that that means they count as both jump infantry and infantry, does that mean they need a transport or not?
  • Does this restriction mean I can't use a praevian or a mortificator with this rite as a consul? Both of these are of unit type infantry(character), and both are forced to join a unit of either monstrous creatures or dreadnoughts that they can't leave (and neither dreadnoughts or monstrous creatures can board transports (well I guess the dreadnoughts could board a mastodon?))

There might be more weird interactions / restrictions as well, but these are the ones I am thinking of right now as I am building lists in my head. Can you help me figure it out or direct me to answers in the AoD rulebook that I might have missed?

-G

So, we have the new black book and with the new black book comes new rites of war with some rather heavy restrictions, specifically on infantry units needing to be carried in a transport in the case of the Eskaton Imperative and even more restrictive in the case of the Steel Fist where that transport also needs to have the tank type.

Regarding these restrictions I have a few questions:

• Does this restriction mean that I can't take my quad launchers to spew some more phosphex if I run the Eskaton Imperative? The quad launchers themselves are artillery and the crew is infantry, so the unit seems to have a mixed unit type, but unfortunately I can't seem to find anything about how that works in the AoD rulebook
  • Does this restriction mean that if I want to have some assault squads ready to jump over to the enemy deployment zone to help clean it up, I need to take away their jump packs and ferry them over in a transport? The assault squad is jump infantry, and the rulebook states that that means they count as both jump infantry and infantry, does that mean they need a transport or not?
  • Does this restriction mean I can't use a praevian or a mortificator with this rite as a consul? Both of these are of unit type infantry(character), and both are forced to join a unit of either monstrous creatures or dreadnoughts that they can't leave (and neither dreadnoughts or monstrous creatures can board transports (well I guess the dreadnoughts could board a mastodon?))

There might be more weird interactions / restrictions as well, but these are the ones I am thinking of right now as I am building lists in my head. Can you help me figure it out or direct me to answers in the AoD rulebook that I might have missed?

-G

The answer to all 3 questions is the same.

Can't be transported- can't be taken.

Well that is sad, but I guess that was to be expected. A shame though, I really liked the idea of the quad batteries adding more dangerous terrain to the table to really sell the impression that the Dreadwing are here to burn everything in their way. The rest wasn't that important. I guess technically they could be brought to the table via drop pods, since IIRC the quad batteries can be carried in drop pods (one at a time in a drop pod (although in this case there is no way for me to take them in a drop pod so that doesn't help) and a multiple of them in a kharybdis), but that wouldn't really make much sense and there is a limit to how much of my points allotment I am willing to spend on selling a fantasy in my head.

Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the idea (behind the fluff) is that the area has already been bombarded with all kinds of hellish chemicals and toxins so that when the astartes arrive they don't initially want to be exposed to the harsh environment.

I understand your frustration as some of the Rites are rather restrictive, but then you have 6 legion specific rites to choose between, which is 3 times more than most legions! :) 

I think the idea (behind the fluff) is that the area has already been bombarded with all kinds of hellish chemicals and toxins so that when the astartes arrive they don't initially want to be exposed to the harsh environment.

I understand your frustration as some of the Rites are rather restrictive, but then you have 6 legion specific rites to choose between, which is 3 times more than most legions! :smile.:

That's....not exactly helpful when one Rite of War is a massive downgrade from its generic version (Deathwing), three are sub-par (Ironwing, Firewing and Stormwing) and two are marginally playable (Ravenwing, Dreadwing). I'd trade these six away in a heartbeat if it meant getting something actually interesting or significant to play with like the old Protocols. Hell, the fact that the Dreadwing cannot take mortars (y'know - dreadful artillery that is about as in fluff as it gets) is terrible and unfluffy.

I understand your frustration as some of the Rites are rather restrictive, but then you have 6 legion specific rites to choose between, which is 3 times more than most legions! :smile.:

Oh I am not frustrated, just happy to have this clarified since the AoD rulebook doesn't really tell us how to treat a unit that has multiple unit types in it. And like I said you could have a Kharybdis come over via deep strike and bring with it mortars so that avenue is still open if you want to take it, but getting even more dangerous terrain on the field is not worth that.