Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What secondaries are working for you?

Grey Knights Rules Tactica Reports Thought Provoking

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 294 posts

First off, let me start by saying 9th edition has really invigorated the hobby for me. Love the way the matched play missions work.

Points scoring and objectives really make the game fun. And different options for secondary's really add flavour, especially when

you and your opponent choose different ones.

That being said, I'm interested in hearing what secondary's have you tried lately? What works for you?

What are some you are loving? What are some you don't like?

My personal favourite is Psychic Ritual, so far all but my first game of 9th I've taken it and its always netted me the full 15 VP for a secondary.

Which is actually surprising, because when discussing with my friends, I was skeptical of taking any secondary that required an action

because I don't want to sacrifice the ability to shoot or charge.

I also like grind them down, it forces me to be ruthless and unrelenting when targeting my opponents. To mitigate the amount of return fire or units charging me.

Edited by Reskin, 19 October 2020 - 06:09 AM.

DHoaUD5.jpg 

Fridge

Fridge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1 posts

Since i play with Interceptors, i really like Linebreaker. That forces my opponment to give up Points when they try to advance to hold objectives as they often cnnot block their whole development zone. Or if they do, then thats more objectives for me. 

• Reskin likes this

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,167 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights, Dark Angels, DW

Depends on what list, I suppose. But I play my lists pretty aggressively, so my choices are usually Grind them Down or Thin their Ranks, Linebreaker, and either Raise Banners/Assassinate/Thin their ranks. 

Lately, I've been having some pretty rotten luck with Linebreaker, so I might choose something trivial like Pierce the Veil perhaps.

• Reskin likes this
7DtmK1a.pnge2ZWJbt.pngt44uaS0.pngIJKynoL.pngtFMKXdu.pngAhRNilX.png

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,031 posts
I haven't tried yet but I would have thought Engage on All Fronts would be fairly straight forward.
  • Reskin likes this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 294 posts

Since i play with Interceptors, i really like Linebreaker. That forces my opponment to give up Points when they try to advance to hold objectives as they often cnnot block their whole development zone. Or if they do, then thats more objectives for me. 

Depends on what list, I suppose. But I play my lists pretty aggressively, so my choices are usually Grind them Down or Thin their Ranks, Linebreaker, and either Raise Banners/Assassinate/Thin their ranks. 

Lately, I've been having some pretty rotten luck with Linebreaker, so I might choose something trivial like Pierce the Veil perhaps.

Linebreaker I like also, it fit's in naturally well with how GK's want to play. I haven't tried engage on all fronts, it feel like I'd be spreading things to think no?

How do you go with raise the banners Skywrath? Does that force your opponent to come to you?

DHoaUD5.jpg 

Skorus

Skorus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts
  • Faction: INQ / GK / Tempestus

Simple answer is - depends on your list & opponent. Still a valid thread topic mind, some are clearly better suited for GK than others..

Ive played 5 games of 9th now and ive tried out a few as follows :

Linebreaker - forcing my opponent to worry about backlines was almost as important as the points themselves. Its become one of my most picked.

Engage all fronts - Not so certain on this one, i tend to run a mid-board castle so the one time i took it i found it actually hampered my strategy

Deploy scramblers - Ive taken this in most games and always scored the 10.

While we stand - Probably less interesting now dragios got a bit weaker, still good choice for us tho

Raise the banners - only taken once, against a slow list but def worth considering  

Never tried any of the psychic ones, feel like all our characters are too important to do nothing for 3+ turns.

+ Suffer not the Alien to live. +

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 294 posts
Its still interesting to get other people’s perspective on things though. They might see or do something that I haven’t thought of.

An 80pt apothecary who can’t naturally shoot anyway, equiped with empyrean domination psychic power for the +1 CP has netted me 15 VP every game so he’s almost been my mvp or a close runner up in my opinion. He chills with another character or unit that controls the mid board a bit. That’s why I love psychic ritual.

I didn’t think I would, as previously stated. Ones I find frustrating at the slay the warlord, even, and that’s a big even, even if you were to kill the enemy warlord turn 1 it only nets you 13VP, turn 2 is 9 I believe, and degrades from there.

I find that extremely hard to get, for any army as a matter fact, most people protect their warlord so they get some use out of him. With the LoSir rules only once have I killed the warlord turn one, in the psychic phase mind you, and I didn’t expect it to happen, so I wasn’t even running that secondary at the time

DHoaUD5.jpg 

The Woodsman

The Woodsman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 100 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights, Imperial Guard
I've only played a few games of 9th (2 against Ravenwing/Deathwing, 2 against Thousand Sons and one against Tyranids). I find Linebreaker or Engage is a good bet, and I could see myself taking it in most situations. Between Interceptors, GoI and general Deep Striking ability those secondaries should always be attainable. The choice comes down to deployment zones and your opponent's ability to screen you out' IMO.

Attritiin can be a good one I find, as many Grey Knight lists tend to focus around on a few really tanky TEQ units, with any power-armored support either protected by deep-strike or terrain (e.g. Purgatory, Strikes). Most opponents will focus on your Paladin/Terminator bombs or your GMDKs, meaning against most factions you should be able to score more unit kills. So far this has been true in my experience anyway. An alternative against horde armies with large units of infantry would be Thin Their Ranks, betwixt Storm Bolters and Psilencers, hordes should rarely be an issue.

Assassination is a good one, our characters can go toe-to-toe with most other faction's characters, so they can be used to score those points. Bring it Down can be a tricky one, as GK do tend to struggle with vehicles, but if you're packing the right firepower and you're facing a mechanized force, then it's definitely worth a punt.

I'd personally avoid secondaries that require actions, as stated already we have so few units on the board as it is, and really we need each of them doing something in each phase to get the most out of them. However, Reskin's idea of taking the one character (in his example an Apothecary) who's already kind of limited in what he can do in each phase, and who completing an action won't cancel out any special rules, to score Psychic Ritual is a pretty sure way of bagging those points. I'll have to give it a shot myself. Could a cheapo Inquisitor be used to similar effect? Doubling up on the CP Regen power (Mental Interrogation I believe) and using him as backline points scorer that isn't costing you any of your GK powers could be a solid tactic.

Overall though, it really comes down to what mission you're playing, and against whom. Does the mission-specific secondary lend itself to being an easy way of scoring points? Does the deployment favor Engage or Linebreaker? What unit types is your opponent fielding and how can you capitalize on that to score points? Do you have/is it worth "sacrificing" a unit to complete an action each turn? You get the gist. Just my 2 cents, good hunting to you, lads.
  • Reskin likes this

SabhI1d.png

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 294 posts

I'd personally avoid secondaries that require actions, as stated already we have so few units on the board as it is, and really we need each of them doing something in each phase to get the most out of them. However, Reskin's idea of taking the one character (in his example an Apothecary) who's already kind of limited in what he can do in each phase, and who completing an action won't cancel out any special rules, to score Psychic Ritual is a pretty sure way of bagging those points. I'll have to give it a shot myself. Could a cheapo Inquisitor be used to similar effect? Doubling up on the CP Regen power (Mental Interrogation I believe) and using him as backline points scorer that isn't costing you any of your GK powers could be a solid tactic.

Psychic ritual is the one where you have to be in the centre of the board. The 80pt apothecary who cant shoot and is there as a guard for your other characters anyway is perfect. Trust me, give it a go, its the most reliable VP you will get. Let me know how it goes. Give him a support spell like Empyrean Domination or Ethereal Manipulation to buff a unit, that way, if he uses those spells, another of your characters can channel the ritual. There's lots of ways to complete that one, and it really is the easiest 15VP you will ever get.

And I totally agree with everything you said, of course it does come down to opponents and missions and deployment. I like your thoughts on them all though.

ultimately, I just wanted to hear some peoples experiences with all the different secondary's. Some I'm not game to try yet, or simply haven't been the right fit for the mission etc. But, learning from others is always great, gives you a feel for what to expect when you are in that situation. 

DHoaUD5.jpg 

The Woodsman

The Woodsman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 100 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights, Imperial Guard
100% agree with you Reskin, its great to get other players' opinion and experience, and I'm finding this forum to be a great little community for it. I should be able to get a couple of games in next week, I'll give Psychic Ritual a go and let you know how it works out!
  • Reskin likes this

SabhI1d.png

Gnomeo

Gnomeo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 55 posts
Hey I have found attrition great. Also linebreaker, repair teleport homer and psychic ritual.

Of not psychic actions are different from normal actions. 1) that is the only psychic power you can cast that turn. 2) you are free to charge shoot etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grey Knights, Rules, Tactica, Reports, Thought Provoking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users