Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Realm of Battle Board (Sector Imperialis) is now lctb

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Custodes

Don't know if anyone has noticed - while browsing the GW online store, I noticed that the cityfight RoB board has moved to last chance to buy, at least in Germany and the UK. US shows a 404.

https://www.games-wo...estid=15903521

I'm a bit surprised, because the AOS boards have remained the same. And as far as I understood, the new board sizes are recommendations for minimum size not sizes to play the game set in stone.

After the Armies on Parade posts, where GW recommended getting the new cardboard boards as a basis for AoP, this might come as less of a surprise for some. I, for one, don't like the change to cardboard boards - it lacks texture and a "proper" feel.

Good thing I own 4 of those RoB segments, which I bought for AoP projects in the past. 

Visit my painter profile on Instagram: https://www.instagra...gfused.painter/

gallery_48988_15465_14148.png gallery_48988_15465_5251.png gallery_48988_16045_16337.png

My Titanicus Plog  My Ultramarines Primaris Plog

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,704 posts
  • Faction: Confessors
Never even got a last chance to buy opportunity in the US-- it just went no longer available a few weeks ago.

I inquired about it to customer service and they gave me a non answer about it. My guess is: there is an issue with the mold, or they are making a similar product/reboxing for the new smaller board size.

Now that said, apparently warhammer world is opening back up- and scenic neoprene battlemats were seen on the tables in promo pictures. Maybe gw is breaking into the battlemat market?

Wish I pulled the trigger on a sector imperialis board sooner since a bunch of my stuff uses the sector bases!
gallery_29004_6198_9307.pnggallery_48988_6285_7306.pnggallery_48988_6285_1776.jpggallery_48988_6285_6092.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_2146.pngcatg2.pnggallery_45765_11565_4862.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifgallery_30308_9518_8389.pnggallery_74802_15827_10034.jpggallery_48988_15738_19809.pnggallery_30308_9518_8597.jpg

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,666 posts

Now that said, apparently warhammer world is opening back up- and scenic neoprene battlemats were seen on the tables in promo pictures. Maybe gw is breaking into the battlemat market?

I think they just removed the RoB boards as they would be pretty hard to clean. They seem to be repleaced with a flat laminated battlefield.

PZZKcsn5lpWe4etv.jpg

• Beaky Brigade and quasistellar like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageXX

++ The Baalite Feast of Blades 2016; 2018 ++

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 251 posts

In GW stores here in Australia, they are still selling the 2x2 tiles. Although on the GW website when delivery is set to Australia there is a lot of items set to out of stock. More so then other countries.

DHoaUD5.jpg 

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts

you got lucky then for once, Reskin. The 2x2s haven't ben sold offically for a couple of years now. That's why I'm 2 tiles short now. :/  

gallery_48988_15465_14148.png gallery_48988_15465_5251.png gallery_48988_16045_16337.png

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,233 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

With this and the Books it feels like maybe GW is trying to bring all their production in country?

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 251 posts

you got lucky then for once, Reskin. The 2x2s haven't ben sold offically for a couple of years now. That's why I'm 2 tiles short now. :/  

dude that sucks, I for one am a fan of the cardboard mats they've released though. Easier to pack away, not as bouncy when rolling dice and already coloured :D Meaning less painting I have to do. 

DHoaUD5.jpg 

phoenix01

phoenix01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 247 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

I'd be ok with cardboard tiles, but not at $50 for two on which you can't play a 2000 point game, meaning you have to spend $100 for cardboard. It's nice cardboard, but it's not $100 worth of cardboard. Moon Base Klaisus was ok at $80, but only because you got a full four tiles and the $35 Ryza ruins set with it.

• Reskin likes this

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 251 posts
$84 AUD for one pack... yeah it’s pricy. But It’s convenient. And looks decent. Plays decent too.

I would prefer neoprene above all else though. I use a custom print neoprene in a tray to roll dice on now anyway.

DHoaUD5.jpg 

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,528 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
Man those tables look like trash. Like "go to any game store and they have multiple tables on the go" level of terrain for a game. It's even sadder when you remember that the tables looked so much better and that gw was quick to say the new minimum boards were just that...minimums, not standard or recommended

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts

Well, the tables look very flat, very 2-d. I know it's okay for a lot of people, for games of Infinity I use a mat myself, but for 40k, that huge game with even larger set pieces, I want something a little bit extra. Detailed terrain and all that. I even built fiery smoke out of some LED candles and cotton to enhance the visual aspect.

And WHW used to have some premium tables. I can only hope that the ones shown in the pic are due to hygiene. I also contacted my local GW retailer today where they confirmed that the Sector Imperialis board is on it's way out. I just hope that this doesn't mean the overall community should move into the direction of those tournament-style tables.

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 251 posts
Remember the 2x2 with the raised “hill” plateau whatever you wanted to call it in the corner, and you could make a plateau in the centre of a 6x4 or hills on the edges and therefore created a valley. You couldn’t put terrain or models on the slopes because they would just slide. It was terribly annoying.

DHoaUD5.jpg 

Emicus

Emicus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,630 posts

Remember the 2x2 with the raised “hill” plateau whatever you wanted to call it in the corner, and you could make a plateau in the centre of a 6x4 or hills on the edges and therefore created a valley. You couldn’t put terrain or models on the slopes because they would just slide. It was terribly annoying.

And woe be you if you didn't have a dice tray..

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,658 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Man those tables look like trash. Like "go to any game store and they have multiple tables on the go" level of terrain for a game. It's even sadder when you remember that the tables looked so much better and that gw was quick to say the new minimum boards were just that...minimums, not standard or recommended

Yeah agreed. Is it just me or is there also a complete lack of scatter terrain like barricades, fences, craters, crates etc on those WH world tables? I wonder if those mats are the cardboard ones or mousepad type print ones. I dunno how they would be cleaning cardboard/ paper ones, mabye they are just binning them everyday and replacing them? Any UK members been to WH world lately to see whats up with the tables? 

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

PJ1933

PJ1933

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,121 posts

They are going to need to wipe down the boards after every game which may be why they have gone with flat boards.

They are still on 6x4 boards just with 44x66 letterbox openings for gaming. Hard to see if any are full 6x4 for AoS although you could just ignore the edge marking and use all the board even for 40k so maybe that will be the compromise for now until AoS gets a reboot and switches to 44x66.

it remains to be seen how long WHW can stay open anyway as Nottingham is in discussions to go into Tier 3 along with most of Northern England.

MegaVolt87 with the rules currently in place the people gaming at a table in WHW need to be from the same household so I'm not sure how many people would meet those restrictions. 

Edited by PJ1933, 19 October 2020 - 11:08 PM.

• Firedrake Cordova likes this

Reskin

Reskin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 251 posts
Looks like it’s their new range of cardboard mats. Which makes sense, they want to display their new range of stock. They are actually sealed and printed quite durable. So could be wiped down.

Mousepad = neoprene with a fabric print laid on top

The terrain does look sparse, but are people actually using them?

For you own play at home or wherever you really should be using the recommended amount of terrain. I.e really fill the board with terrain. Really makes the games feel like 40k. As a compact and bustling hive world. The new rules for terrain really work well.

DHoaUD5.jpg 

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,233 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

Yeah that setup looks godawful but its just temporary, hopefully all the good boards will be back out once covid is actually under control somewhat. I dont blame them, just dusting and general maintenance cleaning of a good modelled board and terrain is a pain in the backside, let alone having to do it multiple times a day! 

• Firedrake Cordova and PJ1933 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users