Barners McFarlane Primaris Intercessor

sbarnby71

After so many false starts I've got my McFarlane Primaris Intercessor and he's gonna get the Space Wolves treatment.

First up was to break him apart so I can paint in sub-assemblies - I popped of his Shoulder pad as a starter:

It was pretty stiff but came away ok.

Next I broke down the main parts I think I'm gonna paint in pieces:

Most of the bits came apart ok, you do need some pressure, but the 2 parts that caused me some concern were:

• Leg from the groin, you need to pull to the side to pop the pin, this does mean the thigh plate gets in the way, but that is very flexible plastic so it does give, but I might cut it off (then glue it back later) as I can see when I attach the leg again, it will scrape the paint job.
  • Head, now that was nasty, I could not pull it off so I had to pry it with a screwdriver, first attempt was in the u-shape above the chest plate and I ended up leaving a dent in the armour, so I moved to the edge over the shoulder and it did come away a little easier but did leave a mark, so if you're doing this at home, be careful.

I had a play around with posing him holding the bolter but the fingers are very tight on the handle and it will ruin any paint job you do before hand, so I might pull the hand out and glue it to the handle before I start painting, I might even go as far as removing the trigger finger first and then glue it back on once I have a better fit.

All in all it's a hefty piece of plastic and does have some mould lines, not sure how easy the clean up with be as it has a slightly rubbery feel to it.  The backpack sits too far off the main body, so I think I will trim the box it fits into to keep it closer and also the backpack looks very wide compared to the body.

I was hoping that I could cheat and use a vehicle decal or press-mould, but as you can see they are way too small:

Time for some free-hand!

Edited by sbarnby71

Looks good.

Could you not take a photocopy of teh decal sheet, then blow it up to the right size.

Then print to decal paper and apply?

I had a couple of ideas... print out the emblems I want to the right size, trace onto a masking film then airbrush or try and sculpt a raised emblem on top of the blown up image then apply that (lot more work involved).

Those ideas would work.

I just thought if you scanned teh image, you could then enlarge it in MS paint or something to get the size you are after

I've only got access to a laser printer at the moment, so I'm not sure if I can print onto decal paper using that (and I've not got any decal paper), but thanks for the ideas.  Hoping to have a play with printing out the sizes I need today.

Laser print is far superior to inkjet printing, I use my office printer when I get the chance for doing decal, only issue sometimes can be the thickness of the paper.

At abbout £1 a sheet on average, unless youy plan to use the whole page, it can get pricy, I guess.

Look forward to seeing what you do, might get one of these marines myself :)

Managed to get a few days of hobby-time, so first up was to remove the mould lines, geez that was a chore, the material is a rubbery plastic, so a slow process.  Also the bolt rifle is quite warped and even after trying to re-shape it after putting it in boiling water it still looks slightly wonky, but hey.

First up the helmet, I took a press mould from the SW Venerable Dred Axe and applied that to the forehead:

Next the dreaded bolt rifle, I don't like the way the hand grips it, you get the trigger finger inside the guard and then the rest of the fingers moving towards the little finger just drift out and don't grip, so I did a lot of cutting on the palm of the hand and the rifle grip so now I get a tighter grip:

Next I removed the Aquila and added a press mould from the old FW SW Landraider  front hatch, it's a bit too big, but I don't think it's too odd looking:

Now the chest plate Aquila, removed the skull and added a Grey Hunter Backpack totem thingy, with the pole trimmed off:

Right knee got another press mould from the FW SW Landraider doors, took a bit of bending but looks good:

Now the backs of the hands, I normally like to use runes, but I was drawn to the press moulds I'd made from the Smoke Launchers on the Venerable Dred:

Onto the belt buckle, can't remember where this press mould came from, but it's a Grey Hunter so fits the bill:

I then started to shave down the joint pins as they do stick out a little in places, my plan is once I have the pose done I'm going to glue the joints in place and fill the joint holes and build up where the armoured joints have the hinges.  One thing I say is the ball joints are super tough to slot back into and I can see me messing up the paint job by applying the force I need.  I may have to trim down the ball joints to make the process easier:

I've added some battle damage along the way and the next step will be to make a wolf pelt loin cloth and a wolf tail to fix to the bolt rifle (I think a thunder wolf tail maybe big enough).

Edited by sbarnby71

Wolf pelt was made using the Green Stuff World fur mould, snipped it down to make it ragged and then snipped the edges to make it look more ragged:

Once I was happy with the shape, I then added the hide part of the pelt at the top:

Not sure if I want to make an entire hide all the way around it.

Edited by sbarnby71

I just thought if you scanned teh image, you could then enlarge it in MS paint or something to get the size you are after

Uh, no. Just NO. If you do it in paint, you will see pixels/jagged edges, which will make the end result look terrible. If you want to print it, either do it from high resolution art piece (resized, if need be, with something specialized in that, not paint) or from vector art. That will give you the best results. Funnily enough, at that scale you can use the detailed SW logos, for that old school 'artsy' look like this:

49a5115928abadb25b1d1e5717c9228e.jpg

While I was waiting for this to turn up I went through a few ideas on what extras he would need, my first thought was an axe on his belt, then they announced more Primaris Figures coming so I thought there is gonna be a Reiver at some point, so I hold off on that idea until then.  So the next option was a combat knife in it's sheath.

Started off with glueing 2 bits of MDF together to get the thickness and then rounding off the bottom:

Added a hilt and sanding it into the shape I wanted, now I wanted something a bit ornate on the sheath, so cut some plastic card into the shapes I wanted, just need a little bit of filling and then add some rivets and maybe a wolf skull:

Added some more detail to the Bolter, 6th Legion badge and removed the skull from the purity seal and added a wolf skull:

Then a lot more detail on the combat knife, added rivets to the sheath by drilling small holes and adding 1mm ball bearings, then added a wolf skull.  Handle is made of copper tubing with picture wire wrapped around it, the top is made from a thingy that came with a shirt (it's a round plastic thing like a button), then I added a rune stone from a press mould I made:

20201102 140931

• 2 weeks later...

Started working on the left shoulder pad.

First step was to create a high ridge with the 20/thou plastic sheet I used on the combat knife sheath.  This is glued on the inside of the pad and will act as a support for the thicker plastic card:

I then cut out the thicker plastic card to match and stuck that onto of the pad using the thin card as support (had to do some green-stuff filling to match the 2 pieces up.  Next I wanted to add curves to the inside of the edges of the pad, I was trying to use the thin plastic card but I couldn't get a decent curve, so I used a blob of green stuff and pushed it into shape using the curve loop from a key-ring:

After the green-stuff had set overnight, it was then sanded down to be level with the lip of the pad.  I started adding 2mm ball bearing as studs to the pad, I used a Dremel to make an ident first so they can be pushed in about half way:

I added a thin plastic card triangle at the top of the pad and it is thin enough to mould over the pad (little bit of filling required) and then added another ball bearing which then pinged out of the tweezers and I can't find it (so ordered some more from eBay to finish this bit):

Also added some more ball bearings around the pad, I think I'll add some more once I have them and have some ideas of other places on the main body to add them too:

I have a few more ideas for this pad so will hopefully get them done this week.

Got my shipment of ball bearings, so add some more rivet details:

I messed up the position on the neck collar as the figure itself is a bit wonky, so had to refill and will re-do it once that has cured.

I changed my mind on the detail on the left shoulder pad so took a press mould from an Imperial Knight shin guard and added that, it will look better when it's painted up:

Added some extra scroll work detail to the feet and a few more rivets plus a scroll under the knee pad:

And then started on rebuilding the ribbing behind the knee:

but this is turning into a massive chore so I've now filled the entire back piece and smoothed it off, once it's been drying for a few hours I will score the groves back in and will end up with a better finish (hopefully).

Carved the ribbing into the green stuff and it's worked ok, I will probably do some extra sanding to make the groves more rounded (they look a little rough at the moment as I drew the lines in first with a pen and it's dried into the green stuff):

I ordered 1,500 x 1.5mm ball bearings and they turned up next day so I went to town on more rivets in the armour and also added 2 x 1mm rivets to the scroll below the knee:

Next I added rivets to both arms:

Hopefully get some work done on the backpack today.

Had an idea of doing a head swap and then saw someone had done this and it looked pretty good, so I ordered a WWF head that had the right hair and mean look:

Now it looks about right, smaller than the helmet, so it would fit inside, but once I add it to the body, it looks way too small:

Bit gutted.