My contribution to Orktober

lhg033

So,.. I've had a lot of orks for a very long time and done very little with them until recently (not including the second edition starter set and GorkaMorka)

With the advent of contrast paints and 8th edition I started painting again and last summer started messing around with orks a bit.

med_gallery_20758_2198_6728.jpg

During lockdown I actually started properly to paint Orks with a purpose in mind, switching from Goffs to something closer to Evil Sunz - mainly because I like the colour palette, and even going as far as building up new models to paint rather than just messing around with the ones I had already put together. This was nearly knocked on the head when the first batch of boyz i painted up were messed up by the spray varnish I used on them. I've tried a few tips from here and elsewhere to recover them but may just accept their fate and chalk it up to experience as they're still a bit hazy and have moved onto the next batch of boyz. I may show some of these later for everyone's amusement.

Anyway.... ramble over. For Orktober I decided to treat myself to something a bit more detailed/interesting and dug out an old metal model.

Sorry, not the best lighting but it should be enough to get a bit of feedback on the areas I'm thinking on.
med_gallery_20758_16707_629909.jpg

I need to tidy up a few bits (overspill of wash around the 'power' unit on the spanner/axe etc, add a few more highlights (picture doesnt show the ones there very well either) and I need to paint the front of the KFF. I'm wondering whether to add a bit of wear to stuff to.

I'm not sure what colour to paint the domes (black at the moment) on the KFF. I'm torn between metallics or trying out a glow of some kind or even just leaving them black.

I'm also not sure about the checked pattern on the shoulder pad. it's a bit Denis the Menace at the moment but I'm worried another colour might pull the view away from the head.

I'm also wondering about whether to add more colour/metal to the goggles.

All feedback appreciated on the points I'm asking about or anything else really.

Very interesting Big Mek. I love the flame pattern on his boots (I have an old pair of New Rocks that look very similar). The red period Goff is pretty cool too. I'd say you're doing pretty well. If you want to tone down the shoulder plate a bit you could perhaps replace the red with a bit of a bone/dirty white look to lessen the Dennis the Menace vibes but personally I kinda like it how it is currently. As for the KFF domes perhaps you could try an arcing electricity effect? I did the same on my old Shokk Attack gun but tinged purple because well, the warp was involved and I wanted it to look weird. 

Over all, keep going, it'll be good to see more of your work. :)

cheers for the feedback 

@Magos Takatus - I have, somewhere, a pair with silver flames (some of the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned!). I considered going that way but though this would look better/add a bit more interest given the metal plates already on the model. cream for the check pattern is a thought. not seen from the angle but I've added some other details like yellow triangles on the back of the right wrist and plan to do something with the backback so it's not just plain black on the casing.

I like both the glow idea and the electric arcing idea. I may have a play with both and see how they come out then pick which to go with. I'm a bit concerned I wont be able to pull off the glow but part of the fun of this is trying these things out so why not.

@lgh033 - its actually really easy, you only need Wraithbone base and Aethermatic Blue contrast. Just use a medium layer brush and dont go overly thick. Makes a great quick glow effect.

Looks like an excellent start though.

Edited by Akrim

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so i did play around with the glow on the orbs and couldnt quite get them as i'd like - kepts putting it on a bit thick and/or letting it pool. In the last attempt it gave more of a gloudy look and i thought maybe I'd go for a plasma ball type thing with a bit of electric discharge inside. Not perfect but fairly happy with it in principle and I tried something new.

for the domes I stippled them progressively lighter greens over a black base (it's ork power after all, I was thinking of a blackstone sort of effect) then added some lightning and then used aethermatic blue over the top to tie the colour in with the obs and add a bit of an electric arc colour.

I decide to stick with the red check pattern: A) It's grown on me and B ) I need to draw a line under this so I can move onto other projects.

Anyway - varnished and based:
matt all over and gloss on the orbs/lenses/domes to keep the glassy shine

med_gallery_20758_16707_111739.jpg

I may revisit him to add some damage and wear at some point but now need to move onto more boyz.

As a side note - I really, really like runelord brass! Nice thin paint for a metallic and just a really nice colour. takes a share well too

Edited by lhg033