Starting Ultramarines

SvenIronhand

With the sale of my Dark Angels, I am feeling an army-sized hole in my heart. My friends all tell me to branch out, but I don't really have interest in any Xenos or other Imperial factions. I am the "Space Marines guy", I guess. And since seeing space wolf's conversions, I've kind of been interested in Smurfs.

It is my understanding that Ultramarines are primarily a shooting army, what with their Overwatch tricks and the like. However, I understand there is also some space for melee units like Assault Intercessors. And I know with recent changes, Tactical Squads are on an equal level, wounds-wise, with Intercessors. So, what would you recommend in terms of Troops?

Edited by SvenIronhand

Hello! I have just started playing an Ultramarines successor, and with scouts switching to elites(??) I have been using just intercessors. They are very versatile. The lack of close combat ability isn't a huge liability when you can fall back and shoot without penalty with Calm Under Fire. Staying in tactical doctrine with a key squad can also really help. 

Dreadnoughts are also tougher now, and with their -1 damage ability, a lot of the multi-damage weapons used on marines are still going to take a while to take down the walkers. I bring that up because the cc abilities of dreadnoughts can be a nice way to punish enemies for coming to grips with your army. Anything that comes too close gets shot, shot some more, and then (hopefully) pulverized.

Thanks for the replies, ya'll. Definitely going for the Intercessors. I've got a Gravis Captain painted up as an Ultramarine, and I plan on eventually getting a Lieutenant. What else would you suggest to fill out a Battalion? 

EDIT: Here he is, Romulus of the 3rd Company.image0.jpg?width=895&height=671

"I have seen what you call progress. The millions who live, birth to grave, in the Factoriums. And the few who, fat off of the slaughter of carelessness, profit from this. I have seen enough, little king. We are the Ultramarines - the Slayers of Kings - and we are your end!"

-Captain Romulus of the 3rd Company, to the Sector Lord of Shileshia.

Edited by SvenIronhand

First of all, thank you. It's the biggest compliment to know I inspired someone. Second: that captain looks righteous. And thirdly, while I can't help you with the list building part, (I'm new to ultras myself)I'm liking where this is going, and can't wait to see more. Keep it up!

image0.jpg?width=895&height=671
Titus's Intercessor Squad is assembled. In addition, you can see Gaius in the background. I stripped down and converted some ETB Intercessors from Know No Fear to get another Intercessor Squad. Here's a closer look at Gaius.

image1.jpg?width=504&height=672
As you can see, Gaius used to be a Space Wolf, but I have two other Intercessor Squads, so I decided to strip his down, since they were the least "wolfy". I also cut off his pointing hand with a pair of clippers, to give him the chainsword.

• 2 weeks later...

For Ultramar and for duty,
For past and for future,
For Terra and the Emperor,
No brother falls forgotten.

-Last Rites of the Ultramarines

Praise the sun that brings the dawn of our final doom.
-Captain Saul Invictus, Hero of the Battle of Macragge

With these grimdark quotes getting up your expectations for something bigger, lemme show what I’ve been doing. My Macragge Blue finally came, so I busted out two Intercessors in one day.
image1.jpg?width=895&height=671
Katsuo Thiel claims descent from the legendary Aeonid Thiel, though this lies in question. What is known for sure by the 3rd's command cadre, though, that he shows a keen, calculating mind. Such a talent, Captain Romulus feels, is wasted in the Battleline squads. He has thus marked the lesser Thiel for further consideration and questioning by the Chaplains of the Chapter. For his part, the young Katsuo has proven himself both valorous and vexatious in equal measure. At times, his thoughts will stray from Codex orthodoxy, but never for long. With the calm direction of Titus, he always returns to the straight and narrow.

David bin Ali is fairly unremarkable at first glance. A middling marksman, he nonetheless serves as the bedrock of Contubernium Titus. His strict observance of Emperor-worship rituals is a inspiration to them all. Captain Romulus has chosen to propose the Judiciar trials to him at some point, though he has yet to get the chance.

I busted out two more Intercessors in the early morning, completing at least one Contubernium. 

An infantryman to his core, Brother Hauser speaks very little and talks about himself even less. What little his tent-mates know of him is as follows. Trained in the prestigious Agiselus Barracks, Hauser proved true in the trials. Despite not being of noble birth, he managed to somehow attain entry to the same facility as Guilliman, Calgar, and Ventris. Some whisper he is of Illyrian descent, and honed his skills in murder there. However, none will doubt his marksmanship - the savior of his brothers time and again.

The Contubernium's Grenadier, Konor Rose, is sure of himself. Perhaps too sure of himself. Titus has had to reign him in on occasion. Nonetheless, his skill with the "thumper" is undeniable. Many an enemy sniper has found a Frag Grenade flying towards them at an inopportune moment due to his sharp eyes.