Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Citadel Painting Handle

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,526 posts

My board approved impressions. 

This is a painting handle. 

• Slave to Darkness, Brother Adelard and Dark Shepherd like this

ShibeKing

ShibeKing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 288 posts
I like the design and would definitely get one, but I just bought a couple of the old design.

However, if the Cameron Peak fire burns my parent's house down along with all my belongings... I'll buy a few.
  • Guiltysparc likes this

Aramis K

Aramis K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 617 posts
  • Faction: Ω XX Ω
The base of the new one looks separate which suggests it'll be a metal weight. Which is a good thing.
I'm on Instagram as Aramis_esq

Mentor Legion, Deathwatch, and bastard geneseed log
"Officially, they were designated the Unnumbered Sons of the Primarchs, but they called themselves the Greyshields. They were the new sons of old science, and they had no fraternity but their own."

My Heresy Alpha Legion log - XX in progress

Dark_Master

Dark_Master

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 819 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
My wife wanted to know what the hell I was looking at when she caught a glimpse!

DM
  • Gederas, MegaVolt87, AenarIT and 1 other like this

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,865 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

The base of the new one looks separate which suggests it'll be a metal weight. Which is a good thing.

Where does it look separate? Looks like a single whole piece to me.

It would be nice if it was weighted, just don't know if anything on it makes me think it is.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Aramis K

Aramis K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 617 posts
  • Faction: Ω XX Ω
The very base looks like a flat disc attached of a different material. My guess is it's a metal base to add weight and stability.

Z6rKVc8.jpg
  • Bryan Blaire and Kierdale like this
I'm on Instagram as Aramis_esq

Mentor Legion, Deathwatch, and bastard geneseed log
"Officially, they were designated the Unnumbered Sons of the Primarchs, but they called themselves the Greyshields. They were the new sons of old science, and they had no fraternity but their own."

My Heresy Alpha Legion log - XX in progress

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,865 posts
Oh yeah! My brain was saying "mirror face" because of those weird art swirls they put on there, looked like a reflection descending down, but I can see what you mean.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Trixie

Trixie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 208 posts
  • Faction: XX, IV, Xana

Is it going to be the same price? Will be annoying if the new sleeker, less material-y handle costs more.

Given that the recent Horus Heresy black book was considerably smaller in page count than previous books but still more expensive, I wouldn't be surprised if the new handle was priced above the old one xD.

• Hollenweger likes this

sml_gallery_69091_12729_2979.gif

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,161 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech

Why invest time and money in a new handle... when other things could have been done?!?...
I hope it’s weighted and I hope it’s not more expensive... gah ...who am I kidding... it’ll fall over easier and cost more laugh.png 
Well done GW well done !!...tongue.png 

Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge, 28 October 2020 - 04:49 AM.

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,716 posts
I drink a fair bit of wine and the best thing about wine is that each bottle comes with a painting/modelling handle in the spout.

Wait.
That’s not the best thing.
  • Ranulf, mithrilforge, Hollenweger and 2 others like this

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,683 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

Is it going to be the same price? Will be annoying if the new sleeker, less material-y handle costs more.

*Glares at Necron Monolith*

No this will be the same price, GW love to give us value for money.. 

• Kierdale likes this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Avenge me Brother, AVENGE ME!!!'' *pffft* - Unknown Black Templar, cleansing of the Furry homeworld

Lord Raven 19

Lord Raven 19

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 417 posts

If people don't find either design wide enough (new or old), you could always find threaded bar the right size to thread into the top model holder bit and make your own handle?

Lord Raven19

Lord of Deliverence; Scion of Albion; Baron of Camelot; Champion of Mortarion; Lord under Abaddon; Emissary of Szarekh.

Victorus aut Mortis

Eternal Despair

Eternal Despair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts

Fair point, but at the same time people could just opt to buy a handle from another brand that fits their hand better to begin with and not have to worry about faffing around with making their own handle to “fix” the GW handle 

• Slave to Darkness likes this
Ru6kHlM.jpgiqkL0Hk.jpggcTFCSo.jpgzlKEuYs.png

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,683 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

Fair point, but at the same time people could just opt to buy a handle from another brand that fits their hand better to begin with and not have to worry about faffing around with making their own handle to “fix” the GW handle 

'Fix' you say? 

We would never have to tinker with a GW product to make it suitable. To quote the Todd Howard/Bethesda song... It just works... 

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

Blog - Gates of Helvete

''Avenge me Brother, AVENGE ME!!!'' *pffft* - Unknown Black Templar, cleansing of the Furry homeworld

Brother Adelard

Brother Adelard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,707 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
If I didnt already have one from someone else, I wouldn't mind a GW wet palette.

It would be a great money spinner for them at Christmas
  • Kierdale and Dark Shepherd like this

O787td6.jpggallery_38474_6916_6036.jpg

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,683 posts

If I didnt already have one from someone else, I wouldn't mind a GW wet palette.

Plastic tub, sponges, greaseproof paper. 

• mithrilforge likes this

Blog - Gates of Helvete

Brother Adelard

Brother Adelard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,707 posts

I tried all that, but the one I bought did it far better.

But you could run the same argument with corks and old paint pots for painting handles, and they sold like hot cakes.

I just don't get why GW haven't done it yet, it seems like a no-brainer

• Kierdale and Slave to Darkness like this

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,683 posts

But you could run the same argument with corks and old paint pots for painting handles, and they sold like hot cakes.

What kind of wet palette are you using at the moment? The missus could use one and I dont mind paying for hers, I think she would go full Angron if I got her a load of random stuff from poundland and told her to make one. :lol: 

Blog - Gates of Helvete

Brother Adelard

Brother Adelard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,707 posts

What kind of wet palette are you using at the moment? The missus could use one and I dont mind paying for hers, I think she would go full Angron if I got her a load of random stuff from poundland and told her to make one. :lol:

The Sta-Wet handy palette I think it's called. Although, I'd didn't like the paper as much as the non waxy baking parchment I already had, but the proportions of the palette, and the quality of the sponge are far superior to my home made versions.
  • Slave to Darkness likes this

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,920 posts

I drink a fair bit of wine and the best thing about wine is that each bottle comes with a painting/modelling handle in the spout.

Wait.

Painting handles are much more comfy to hold...

New handle is £7

RA-sig.jpg

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,865 posts
I'm hoping the base is weighted, like Aramis K said, because I don't really understand it otherwise - why stick something on the bottom that narrows down again, instead of just keeping it the same width as the bottom of the handle? It seems like the design with the sloped sides makes it more likely to fall over.

That's one of my complaints with the current handle - if I accidentally overbalance it somewhere on top (easy to do with the leaning models and hanging pelts on SW stuff) and don't plunk it down just right upright, the sloping parts of the base cause it to tip.

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,789 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

Wait.

Painting handles are much more comfy to hold...

New handle is £7

Only a £1 increase which isn't too bad

Along with others, I also hope it's weighted. Quite fond of my existing ones so not sure if I'll pick any of these up

Edited by Marshal Loss, 26 October 2020 - 02:04 PM.

rCsoqE7.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,422 posts

From the pre-order list my FLGS was sent, the painting handle is 12.50 (USD)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users