Systems used for Inq28/Inquisimunda

Brother Tyler

Which systems for Inq28/Inquisimunda  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Inq28/Inquisimunda are terms that refer to a number of fan-made systems for adapting the Inquisitor game, which was a 54mm system, to 28mm models. Inquisitor was a narrative wargame where players would collect small warbands, generally 4-8 models, and pit them against their opponent's warband. Unlike most other Games Workshop games, there were no points values - overall character potency had to be evaluated and was generally conducted under the supervision of a referee. Players had a lot of freedom in creating their characters, however, and the game encouraged creativity and personality. In many ways, the Inquisitor game harkened back to the original concepts of 1st edition Warhammer 40,000 (the so-called "Rogue Trader" edition).

For many players, transitioning from 54mm to 28mm was natural and desirable. The range of 54mm miniatures was quite limited, though there were also many suitable 54mm miniatures from a variety of other manufacturers. Also, all of the miniatures and conversion kits were in metal, which can be difficult to convert. Conversely, the range of 28mm miniatures as vast; and modern technology has allowed GW to release their modern kits in plastic and resin, both of which are much easier to convert than metal. Most hobbyists already have a wide selection of 28mm miniatures suitable for the Inquisitor setting. When GW stopped supporting Inquisitor and the 54mm miniatures line, the 28mm miniatures, which continues to grow, were an obvious substitute.

As a game that focused on the warband, what is commonly called a "skirmish" level wargame*, Inquisitor had a low barrier to entry. Shifting to 28mm miniatures lowers that barrier even further, especially when you consider both the range of games and models that GW has released in that scale as well as the myriad third party games and models that might be adapted to that use. However, there is no single authoritative way to play “Inq28” or “Inquisimunda” – people use a variety of alternative systems.

For the purposes of this poll, the various systems are defined as follows (and if I’m mistaken in any, please let me know):

Inq28 - Using the normal Inquisitor rules, but scaling everything down from 54mm to 28mm, which can be done by either chopping all ranges in half or switching from inches to centimeters (neither of which is a perfect solution, but they are easy).

Inquisimunda - Using the Necromunda rules and adding rules for the additional factions. In this, Inquisimunda started with 2nd edition Necromunda rules, but players have also taken the more recent 3rd edition Necromunda rules (also called “N17” since it was released in 2017) and adapted them.

Kill Team - Simply adding the Inquisition faction to that game, such as has been done for the Inquisition and Rogue Traders here at the B&C.

Mordheim – This was a skirmish level* game set in the Warhammer Fantasy Battles Old World setting. It shared many things in common with the 1st and 2nd edition versions of Necromunda. In many ways, this is a just a variant of Inquisimunda.

Shadow War: Armageddon – This short-lived game adapted the 2nd edition Necromunda rules to the forces of the larger WH40K setting. In many ways, this is just a variant of Inquisimunda.

Third Party – Using some non-GW game system such as Reality’s Edge, Rogue Stars, and others; or using a fan-made system.

Other – Games Workshop released a number of other skirmish level* systems, including Legends of the Old West, Legends of the High Seas, and The Great War. These were all based on the basic Warhammer system, which can be represented by 2nd edition Necromunda and are in many ways just a variant of Inquisimunda.

Note that we're not trying to say what anyone "should" use for playing Inq28/Inquisimunda. We're simply trying to gauge what people have used or are interested in using. Note that players can find resources for both the Inquisitor game and a variety of systems used for Necromunda at sites linked in the Other Games Resources topic (and anyone with any savvy at using Internet search engines can find more :wink: ).

* “Skirmish level” means a number of different things in the tabletop miniatures wargaming hobby:

• One meaning was a type of wargame in which each miniature represented an individual. This stemmed from the practice in many historical wargames where each miniature represented multiple individuals, allowing hobbyists to collect armies without breaking the bank or requiring too large of a playing area.
  • Another meaning is the game itself, where the game represents a small portion of a larger battle that is taking place.
  • The meaning used here is where a force represents a small number of individuals, generally no more than 20 models, rather than a larger “army.”

We had a couple of games using the Warhammer 40,000 2nd edition rules, with our own tweaks. I popped it in as Third Party/Other on your poll, but it could be argued as essentially being the old Necromunda rules, as the latter was based on the former. We used it as it had greater scope for commandeering vehicles, bringing in aliens etc. very useful for Inquisitor Veck to lead his team of misfits in investigating a genestealer cult.

We've also used the same characters and figures into other systems – it's basically whatever works for the particular scenario. Combat games are well-served by some of the options above, but there are some other options (like the listed Inq28) for more roleplay/character interaction-heavy games.

+Intrigue at Warehouse CCLIX+

(While I'm writing, I'd suggest the second poll question could do a slight rephrasing, or offer a N/A answer, for those who have played or currently play, regardless of whether they're interested – though I suspect even clicking on this topic will give some slight self-selection bias! :smile.:)

Edited by apologist

• 3 months later...

Having flicked through the PDF LRB of Inquisitor, I think I'm sold. The rules look pretty fantastic and the scope for making your own stuff is endless.

Incidentally, to any INQ alumni here, are there rules (official or fanmade) for Dreadnoughts or other smallish walkers? I have the rules for vehicles but that's intended for driveable vehicles such as cars, trucks and Star Wars Droid tanks Arbites enforcement tanks.

I don't recall anything for vehicles, but there may have been something hidden in one of the campaigns. Considering the fact that [Chaos] Space Marines and daemonhosts were the upper end of the power spectrum in Inquisitor, it's difficult to imagine bigger stuff. There were rules for the Obliterator virus, and that's about all I can think of that exceeded the [Chaos] Space Marines.

I voted Kill Team, but truth is I'd love to tackle Inquisitor 28 using Crusade rules. Players would be required to field custom Inquisitors rather than named ones.

Crusade, via it's various Agendas, Battle Honours/ Scars and Crusade Relics, provides a layer of customization that goes beyond what you can achieve with Matched player; it's perfect for a highly customized, small elite force.

If Inquisition gets bespoke Crusade content- through a Codex, a minigame, a boxed set, or even a White Dwarf, it will open up even more possibilities.

Until that happens, and there's no guarantee that it ever will, it takes a bit of finesse to make Crusade work for the Inquisition. Because you're limited to a single detachment in a 25 PL game, you're crippled by the lack of troops. First, you have to take a Vanguard detachment, which does not refund command points the way a patrol would, so you're starting at a disadvantage. Second, you get no Obsec. Another problem exists as well: Authority of the Inquisition lets you ride in any Imperial Transport, but there are no transports in the Inquisition list, so until you grow your supply limit large enough to include an allied detachment, you can't include any transports in your army, despite having a rule to let you use them.

Now you could still use the existing rules, as bad for Inquisition detachments as they are, but there are so few units, this requires finesse. A generic Inquisitor is 4 PL; a generic Malleus Terminator is 6 PL; you can only take a single Inquisitor per detachment, so you're capped at one. Acolytes are 1 PL each in squads of up to 6. So the Malleus Terminator plus three full acolyte units gets you to 24 PL and a Jokaero gets you to 25. Another option is to add an Assassin as an Agent- you can do this because the Inquisitor is not acting as an Agent; they are acting as the Warlord, but you'll only be able to include one. So from there, getting to 51 PL where you can incorporate an allied detachment to diversify the options for your warband. Technically, rule of three does not exist in Crusade, so yes, you could take 36 PL worth of acolytes, but that's really, really dull.

So here is the easy solution. Acolytes can already be fielded as either single characters or in squads of up to six. So what you do is count them as elites when taken as single models to represent seneschal level intermediaries. When they are fielded as units, however the count as troops, giving you the ability to field Patrol Detachments and have a unit that gets obsec. Now in normal 40k, single model acolytes are less than useless, but in Crusade, they can have WL traits, relics and Honours, and even though they only have 1 wound, they do have character protection.

The other thing you need to do is add a single Transport to your army's list of options. Which transport you're allowed to choose depends on the story and what the Inquisitor is deemed to have at their disposal. My advice is to pick a transport that belongs to the faction you plan to ally with at 51 PL, that way it becomes book legal once you add the allied detachment. Access to a transport really helps you keep your detachment interesting.

Now if you have an arbitrator, as I would recommend for a true Inq28 style game, the arbitrator could add other units to the Inquisition's list of options. Priests, techpriests, battle conclave units, primaris and Wyrdvayne Psykers, selected BSF explorers, Imperial Advisors- all could be great additions to an Inquisitor's warband.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never played Inq28/Inquisimunda before, but I'm very interested in doing so. For me, the most likely options seem to be either Kill Team or the current Necromunda. I don't have any experience with any edition of Necromunda, though, so I'm not sure if it would be a better choice than Kill Team (which I do have experience with).

A lot of what we were trying to do with the "unchained" versions of the rules for using the Inquisition and Rogue Traders in Kill Team was to allow for Inq28/Inquisimunda, and there were some other factions that came up but which we never really developed (the Ecclessiarchy and Adeptus Mechanicus foremost). What I'm wondering at this point is whether or not players experienced with Inq28/Inquisimunda think that our unchained efforts were sufficient, or if they might be adjusted. If so, I'd be more than willing to pursue that effort (presumably with the help of others).

I've never played Inq28/Inquisimunda before, but I'm very interested in doing so. For me, the most likely options seem to be either Kill Team or the current Necromunda. I don't have any experience with any edition of Necromunda, though, so I'm not sure if it would be a better choice than Kill Team (which I do have experience with).

I don't know that any choice is inherently superior to another. I think that much of it comes down to what each individual (or their playing group) is comfortable with. In this, it doesn't hurt for every option to be covered. I've seen an adaptation for Necromunda 2017 for Inquisimunda, though I haven't seen any Kill Team variants for Inquisimunda (which isn't to say that there might not be any out there).

In this, I think that it might be worthwhile to start a discussion in which we can figure out how to bring Inquisimunda to Kill Team.