Kill Team: The WIP Thread

appiah4

So I have recently acquired a bunch of Space Marine Heroes Series 1 figures, namely these:

med_gallery_60983_13750_512685.jpg

So I thought to myself, this might be the start of something new - how about a small, manageable project to paint something different from my Blood Angels oldmarines and Imperial Fist primaris (which, to be honest, I just started painting). I started looking online for an interesting color scheme. Darren Latham's Silver Skulls with their red boltgun casings was my first choice, but then I decided I don't want to paint metallics.

I then found myself gravitating towards a chapter I once fancied as a candidate color scheme for my primaris: Mantis Warriors. I fired up impcat and put together a simulated test scheme using Vallejo paints and Army Painter washes; here is what I came up with:

med_gallery_60983_13750_32101.jpg

Ok, that looks cool as hell to me, honestly. Then I remembered I once did a test model for Death Guard colors using nearly the same paint schene as above, and that quick experiment had turned out like this:

med_gallery_60983_13750_652157.png

It's not a GW figure but bear with me - I am jut showing it as a proof of concept not as a display piece (though if it is still against the board rules I can remove it). Obviously I will have to be more subtle with layering and highlights, but I decided it would work out pretty well. I also decided to start a WIP thread for this project, so here we are.

Time to assemble a simple oldmarine with boltgun and some bling for a real test model.

Edited by appiah5

I have also been working on alternative color schemes to the Mantis Warriors, so I came up with this color scheme, tentatively named Hellfire:

med_gallery_60983_13750_146379.jpg

I think I like it better than the Mantis Warriors, if only for the reason that I already have a yellow army, but green and orange are new to me..

Right, so this color scheme is really growing on me so I went ahead and put together impcat renditions for different ranks:

Hellfire Space Marines Chapter

med_gallery_60983_13750_20873.jpg

Troops

med_gallery_60983_13750_122634.jpg

Sergeant

med_gallery_60983_13750_156009.jpg

Captain

I think I may end up completely scrapping my Imperial Fist primaris force idea and going with this homegrown chapter color scheme instead. In that case, this will probably turn into my general WIP Blog.

Open to ideas and suggestions about the color scheme.

Edited by appiah5

The Sergeant colors (with the black on the top) are so gorgeous, I think it would look really good if the whole army was like that :whistling:

Great minds think alike. The Sergeant was by far my favorite as well and after some consideration I think this is my final color scheme:

Hellfire Space Marines

med_gallery_60983_13750_122634.jpg

Sergeants will have a bone stripe on the helmet, Lieutenant/Captains will have bone colored helmets. That's it. No need to overcomplicate the scheme. I will start painting the test mini tonight, I should have the basecoats down at least.