CSM Heavy Weapon Loadout

SyNidus

With the new weapon updates, i’m very split between whether to go for RCC, Heavy Bolters or Missile launchers.

Heavy Bolters would be great against marines because of the 2 Damage

RCC spits out 8 shots which is awesome.

Missile launchers have flexibility to supplement anti-tank capabilities.

Which do you go for and why?

Has the RCC changed in any way since 8th stat wise? Not had a chance to have a good look at 9th yet. 

As it stands atm I am running a unit of Havoks with 4 RCC just for all those dice and a unit of 2 Missile Launchers and 2 Las, but thats only because I am clean out of Heavy Bolters, but I am tempted at a squad of heavy bolter bois now they are damage 2. 

As for heavy weapons in CSM squads I cant comment, not ran them in my units since 6th. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

I'd narrow it between the Heavy Bolter and Missile Launcher, personally.

I suspect we are going to see more vehicles in the meta, so for me a Missile Launcher is an excellent utility weapon for troops to have. Blast rule makes the Frag profile great for infantry. Krak makes it great for vehicles (just a little less effective than a Lascannon). Add in the flak missile strat (which hopefully survives) and it's a very versatile, yet effective weapon, great for troops.

The Heavy Bolter is more dependent on if it's points stayed the same (which currently it has for CSM). I don't play SM and don't know if their codex upped the points for it, but if not it is half the cost of a RCC. The Reaper Chain Cannon will be about 2.7x more effective against 1 wound infantry and about 1.3x as effective against 2 wound infantry (all Astartes soon), but it has 2/3 the range and twice point cost. Since most midrange weapons are between 24" and 36", being at 36" is an advantage. For me, the RCC drawbacks barely aren't worth the points versus the Heavy Bolter. That said, local meta is Marine heavy. In a more Xenos heavy meta (more 1 wound models), maybe it is.

Summary: The Missile Launcher is highly versatile without much loss in effectiveness, don't forget it has Blast on Frags. The Heavy Bolter is a better value against 2-wound models (all Astartes in the future) than the RCC. The RCC has higher average and max damage output but with twice the points and 2/3 range.

I recommend the Missile Launcher if points allow, Heavy Bolter if points are tighter. I'd only recommend RCC if your local meta has lots of non-marine players.

Edit: the other problem with the RCC is that the only ways to get one are 1/Havoc box, kit bash, or 3rd party. It's just an extra discouragement to me, but more power to you if it doesn't bother you.

Edited by Doom Herald

I'd narrow it between the Heavy Bolter and Missile Launcher, personally.

I suspect we are going to see more vehicles in the meta, so for me a Missile Launcher is an excellent utility weapon for troops to have. Blast rule makes the Frag profile great for infantry. Krak makes it great for vehicles (just a little less effective than a Lascannon). Add in the flak missile strat (which hopefully survives) and it's a very versatile, yet effective weapon, great for troops.

The Heavy Bolter is more dependent on if it's points stayed the same (which currently it has for CSM). I don't play SM and don't know if their codex upped the points for it, but if not it is half the cost of a RCC. The Reaper Chain Cannon will be about 2.7x more effective against 1 wound infantry and about 1.3x as effective against 2 wound infantry (all Astartes soon), but it has 2/3 the range and twice point cost. Since most midrange weapons are between 24" and 36", being at 36" is an advantage. For me, the RCC drawbacks barely aren't worth the points versus the Heavy Bolter. That said, local meta is Marine heavy. In a more Xenos heavy meta (more 1 wound models), maybe it is.

Summary: The Missile Launcher is highly versatile without much loss in effectiveness, don't forget it has Blast on Frags. The Heavy Bolter is a better value against 2-wound models (all Astartes in the future) than the RCC. The RCC has higher average and max damage output but with twice the points and 2/3 range.

I recommend the Missile Launcher if points allow, Heavy Bolter if points are tighter. I'd only recommend RCC if your local meta has lots of non-marine players.

Edit: the other problem with the RCC is that the only ways to get one are 1/Havoc box, kit bash, or 3rd party. It's just an extra discouragement to me, but more power to you if it doesn't bother you.

Judging by the looks, if you want multiple chain cannons, you can build these instead of getting bunch of the new havoc boxes:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-SE/Proteus-Pattern-Rotor-Cannon-Set

They have the same look and feel as the reaper chain cannon.

Judging by the looks, if you want multiple chain cannons, you can build these instead of getting bunch of the new havoc boxes: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-SE/Proteus-Pattern-Rotor-Cannon-Set They have the same look and feel as the reaper chain cannon.

They look tiny compared to the reapers.
Not really if you are using mk III or IV or the old CSM. Edited by MegaVolt87

Actually i’ve got the rotor cannons for my 30k terror squads. And since there aren’t rotor cannons in 40k...they will be my RCC.

But Doom makes a very valid point. I think i’ll go missile launchers. My meta is very varied. We’ve got tons of marines here, but also lots of xenos and vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the RCC bit with the pts and stats changes I'm on hvy bolters.. when I take a heavy. It's less killy built also half the cost and longer range so more versatile.

IF you use csm I feel that keeping costs low is key to their success.