Indomitus Painting + Next Purchases advice

Arbiter7

Hi all,

So I've been eyeing a primaris army for some time now and Indomitus was too good of a deal to pass.

I'm aiming for a 1k starter army, mostly for friendly games. I enjoy the DA lore and the fact that there are three separate paint schemes all of which look ace is great.

First of all, I'm after some painting advice for Indomitus models:

I'm assuming that Bladeguard, Bladeguard Ancient, the Captain and Lieutenant should be painted in DW white, correct? If one was to get a Repulsor to transport them that should also be DW, yes?

Outriders I am certain should be RW black. 

A starter 1k list I'm thinking of based on these models would have a

3 DW Bladeguard + Ancient + Lieutenant unit

3 RW Outriders

3 Eradicators for HSupport

2 combat squad size intercessor squads

And what else?

One would think of a Repulsor for the Bladeguard but is there any chance they get to DS in the new codex granted they are now DW?

Add a plasma inceptor unit for FA?

Add a bike chaplain to give the Outriders more oomph?

Cheers.

Edited by Arbiter7

Hi all,

So I've been eyeing a primaris army for some time now and Indomitus was too good of a deal to pass.

I'm aiming for a 1k starter army, mostly for friendly games. I enjoy the DA lore and the fact that there are three separate paint schemes all of which look ace is great.

I'm assuming that Bladeguard, Bladeguard Ancient, the Captain and Lieutenant should be painted in DW white, correct? If one was to get a Repulsor to transport them that should also be DW, yes?

Outriders I am certain should be RW black. 

3 RW Outriders

And what else?

One would think of a Repulsor for the Bladeguard but is there any chance they get to DS in the new codex granted they are now DW?

Cheers.

Right, quite a few questions there to get through but I'll answer them in order. First though, welcome to the halls of the Rock!

The Bladeguard Ancient and Bladeguard unit have the Deathwing Keyword so should be painted in bone, yes. The Captain and Lt don't currently have the keyword, and we don't have our old stratagem that let us give it to Masters, Dreadnaughts and Land Raiders so right now we don't know till the suppliment hits. Given how they're all armed the same, you could paint the Captain and Lt in DW bone so you can field them as extra Bladeguard while hedging your bets on them getting the DW keyword, but it's possible they won't. As for the Repulsor, we've already seen an official Repulsor in DW colours, so if it's just carting bladeguard around I'd say go for it.

3 RW Outriders

And what else?

Given you're aiming for Primaris only, as as of right now Bladeguard don't have any deep strike ability baked in, I'd say a Repulsor is a good choice for carting them to where you need them. The chaplain is fine, but Outriders just feel so limited. Inceptors are a good chaff clearing choice, used to be better when we had our plasma damage abilities, but still fine.

My only question is how strongly sold to pure primaris are you, because our strongest and most flavourful units, stratagems, tactics and rules are based around firstborn units of the ravenwing and deathwing? Would you be willing to invest in at least one terminator squad? The primaris chaplain on bike is a fantastic means of getting them in where it hurts.

Many thanks for the reply!

My only question is how strongly sold to pure primaris are you, because our strongest and most flavourful units, stratagems, tactics and rules are based around firstborn units of the ravenwing and deathwing? Would you be willing to invest in at least one terminator squad? The primaris chaplain on bike is a fantastic means of getting them in where it hurts.

Quite sold. I am hoping that the new supplement will give share some of the love with Primaris. I could see myself fielding some terminators but I really like the aesthetics of the new grav tanks and therefore would be keen to do Primaris only. 

Having been out of the hobby for 10+ years and never owning any proper marine army I am not emotionally invested to firstborn nor do I really care much about the crimes GW has committed in terms of lore. I completely respect how others feel about this but I intend to go full on the other side of the fence with the tall brethren simply because of how brilliant they look (I know I know).

Why do you find the outriders weak? I thought they hit like a ton of bricks but that's probably my imagination.

Indomitus only has 5 deathwing transfers, so one of the LT and Captain is not intended to be Deathwing. I think the LT is, and Captain not.

Outriders can be weak compared to our special units. They are good at clearing chaff because of the amount of attacks. However, they have no weapons options and squad size cannot go above 3. Something like Ravenwing black knights get a D2 weapon, and have a plasma option for the gun.

If you want to do a mixed RW/DW/standard force, then indomitus will be a good start. You won't be able to do a full real Deathwing or Ravenwing force yet with them yet however, as the options aren't quite there yet.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion