Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Destroyer Hive - Nurgle's tiny fly-daemons

Destroyer Nurgle Flies Typhus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 270 posts

Long story short, I'm -still- in the process of assembling two opposing forces, which will exclusively be played against each other, and as such I'm handling the official rules more like strong suggestions. Death Guard, and as of yet unnamed Primaris chapter.

I have made several modifications along the way - I wouldn't mess with stat lines, but I merrily swapped, or added extra weapons the little plastic fellows strictly speaking, should not have.

The latest mod I've set my mind on involves my Lord of Contagion;

Terrifyingly resilient, with an axe that equals a warcrime, yet after what I've done to my Gravis Captain, I feel like he deserves some attention as well.

I was thinking; Hey, Typhus is basically a LoC himself - identical stats& rules - except he's also a psyker and has the Destroyer Hive weapon and rule in addition to his schyte.

What if I endowed my LoC with the Destroyer Hive as well? He could use his ranged attack and it'd be interesting to see him buff his 40 poxwalkers that shamble around him.

Lore wise, I think it's plausible because in the HH novels there's at least one more fly-infested marine (someone from Garro's old squad, I can't remember his name), so it's not exclusive to Typhus.

Of course stat wise it's either best treated as a decoration or a counts-as-Typhus model if the figure would ever venture to other battlefields besides my board, but that's unlikely anyway.

I'm curious of your opinions on the matter, but even more so, I'd love to hear some suggestions on how to acquire sufficiently swarmy bits to visually indicate this power on my model?

I was thinking e-baying the flies from a Gellerpox Kill team, but maybe there are better -and more economical- options.

Or maybe get a Typhus figure just to butcher it for parts? I guess I could use the gut-plate too.... I wouldn't want to use him as-is; He's a cool model but there's something awkward about him, and I prefer my LoC.

N1SB

N1SB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,295 posts

I was just reading The Buried Dagger.  I'm reading the HH books out of order, I just wanted to learn more about the Death Guard.

Lore wise, I think it's plausible because in the HH novels there's at least one more fly-infested marine (someone from Garro's old squad, I can't remember his name), so it's not exclusive to Typhus.

Yeah, Ignatius Grulgor.  He was practically a Daemon at that point and he gifts Typhus with that ability.  Even the term, the Destroyer plague, wasn't so much something Typhus invented, it's what all the Death Guard was exposed to in the warp, and Mortarion gave it its name when he was just looking for a word to call it on the vox.

Makes total sense to me.  The Rogue Trader Gellerpox flies should be totally eBay-able, but you may want to start in your local meta.  Most people bought it for the Rogue Trader stuff, even Nurgle players don't really use the flies because they're fiddly.  I've saved mine in case I want to convert a Daemon Prince, but that's about it.

• Firedrake Cordova and MetalMammoth like this

Posted Image

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 270 posts
Funny how things turned out.

The most local thing I could find was two borders over on a site in a language I do not speak, and I didn't want to risk it.

E-bay on the other hand...... plenty of hits, but damn they went crazy. If you've ever seen those Eyestinger swarms you know how tiny they are. Single-piece models I think. Shipping included - which alone was set four times higher than it'd take for a delivery from those distances - it was CHEAPER to order a brand new Typhus model from a local store than ebay a SINGLE eyestinger. Picked up a storage fane too, and it ships free.

I liked Typhus' flies better anyway. And I really did want to put a gut plate on my LoC - up until now I was waiting to see which plague marine gets left over to try and snatch his. Oddly enough, the extra one in the Deathshroud box seems too large to fit.

I keep thinking about how to mesh the parts together. My best idea so far is to remove the large nurgle icon from the LoC's back, and try to attach Typhus' chimnies along with the flies. The angle will be different because of his pose, but that's no problem.
The lead flies should just about fit without hitting the shoulder spike. Maybe one of the censers on the long chain will have to be removed.
I'll also have to check how much will they obscure the cape on the back - That's a really neat part of the model which I'd like to keep as visible as possible.
A helpful fellow showed me a pic of his LoC and Typhus next to one another, from which it looks like size difference won't be much of an issue, but until the package arrives, there's no way to be certain.

We'll see.

Good news is, I have no less than three LoC's so parts / backup are no issue. Don't ask how that happened......

I'll also try to replicate the parts I'll take from Typhus so I can assemble him as well - just so the figure doesn't go to waste. Front torso will probably be fine, chimneys are a maybe, and I'm not too sure about the flies.... last thing so delicate I tried to press-mould with blue and greenstuff were nurglings and turned out to be an utter failure. Guess they are not too important.

Pics when the package arrives. Ofc they had to put down an order for the storage fane, so that may take a week or three.

Edited by MetalMammoth, 29 October 2020 - 08:54 AM.

• Firedrake Cordova likes this

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 270 posts

A couple of days ago the package has arrived.

Last night I've had a chance to mess about with them a little.

gallery_199706_16153_282486.jpg

I'd say they match well enough to at least make the project feasible. The gut plate will be easy, I've already carved the belly off of another LoC earlier, so it can be done neatly enough (fun note: Lords from the Dark Imperium / Know No Fear packs don't just go bare-bellied. They go bare crotched.)

The roof is a bit more difficult, because the chimneys spread quite wide and low, but the base is the same size, so with some filing it should fit. - Although with the round back and shoulders, the LoC looks a bit more like wearing an Indomitus pattern suit than Cataphractii

gallery_199706_16153_12876.jpg

I've dry fit them in their original state as a show of respect - and curiosity, and I've found an odd thing:

Typhus actually looks good. Quite good. But only in person. When holding the model, he's nowhere near as weird as the stock images led me to believe. To demonstrate my point, on the photo I took he once again looks like an odd goatman squatting on rocks.

I might go about it in reverse? Stick the axe head on the haft Typhus is holding? (I firmly maintain that schytes are not weapons...) Maybe a head swap. That's easy too. Would be a lot cleaner and simpler than the butchery it'd take to make that gut plate and "roof" fit on the LoC.

Only questionable part would be, how to stick the cape on him? I really do like that cape.

• N1SB and Antarius like this

Naryn

Naryn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 451 posts
  • Faction: Mantis Warriors

I had a lot of success hollowing out the cape bit, with a little care it's dead easy to carve away the LoC armor from the back and get the cape thin enough to fit to basically anything. I put mine on a last-gen Chaos Terminator and on a gravis captain with no trouble and just a tiny bit of greenstuff to hide the connections. Can't overemphasize how straightforward it was; if you can dry-fit it mostly onto Typhus you should be in good shape! Intrigued to see how the conversion goes :)

• MetalMammoth likes this

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 270 posts

I've managed to create duplicates of the parts I wanted to use on the LoC to avoid wasting Typhus' model.

All it took was sealing the bluestuff in a makeshift press and standing on it - once again proving, everything yields to sufficient force.

gallery_199706_16153_332171.jpg

I've figured they're at least good enough for a prototype, and if I'm lucky, for the final model as well.

gallery_199706_16153_115553.jpg

The gut plate fits well enough; I've used some milliputt to fill out the space behind, and patch up the hole in his b*tt, and it looked fine to me.

The chimneys are a failure. Maybe with some more cutting they'd fit a little better, but once assembled it really shows they're made for a different suit. I thought I might use some more putty to patch up the seams, but they've got about a 1/3 overhang at the rear, and also too broad to make them fit nicely.

Later it turned out I have to scrap the belly mod as well, because the axe haft didn't fit over it until I've carved a sizeable groove accross the plate, that was way too noticable.

It'd be fine if someone also wanted to mod the arms, but at this point I've firmly decided it's better to use Typhus' body.

Oh well, at least I've got the LoC's cheap. Wouldn't have done it otherwise.

gallery_199706_16153_19248.jpg

Head, back, top, and axe hand not glued in yet - I'm still free to muck about trying to put a cape on him. - Thanks for the encouragement, Naryn! I'll definitely try your approach after some sleep.

I had thought about kicking it up another notch, by replacing his free hand with a power fist or a lightning claw, but I guess he doesn't need it.

• N1SB likes this

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 270 posts

I can hardly believe it, but carving out the cape worked reasonably well;

One thing I made sure, was to only cut away material from the cape, and never from the body - This way, I'd still have an undamaged figure if the conversion fails.

gallery_199706_16153_159537.jpg

Even his little woodland friends fit well above it, while leaving enough of the cape visible to look nice.

A little bit of greenstuff will indeed be needed to patch up the connections, but that won't be hard, nor unsightly.

If there's a cause for worry, it's that despite the cape's considerable size, it connects with the body only on a very small surface - 4 thin lines at the backpack "barrel"'s sides and the cape's edges. I suqeezed the parts together with as much force as was feasible, hoping they'd get a little closer while the plastic is still melting.

I guess it'll hold, but I'll see if I can fill it up a bit underneath.

I also had to put a small bit under the head to make it connect right - in this case, Typhus' own neck, since it's made to slot in there anyway. Helmet remains intact, in case it can be used somewhere.

• N1SB likes this

Naryn

Naryn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 451 posts
  • Faction: Mantis Warriors

Oooh that looks great!

• MetalMammoth likes this

Jukkiz

Jukkiz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 939 posts
  • Faction: Sinners

You can always add abit height to base to make cape and pose look abit better too, so it doesn´t drag on the floor/ground

"Every world is under Emperors might, then why i feel empty..."

15th tactical marine 6th company, Ermus. Sinners chapter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Destroyer, Nurgle, Flies, Typhus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users