DW Bladeguard painting question

USNCenturion

Good day frater. I was starting my Indomitus Blade Guard vets, and am wondering how the green cloth and red marble(?) shield effect was achieved. I haven’t seen guides for them anywhere and was curious if anyone here knew or could offer their own recipe.

I don’t think I’d follow the app green recipe like for the Dark Angel armor, as it doesn’t seem to be that dark of a green on the cloth and chest eagle. And I have no idea how to achieve that striking deep red on their shields.

Thanks for any help friends!

So from my eye, it is the same as the Dark Angel armour, but the caliban green is in the recess for the most part, so the warpstone glow comes out essentially as the base colour. So I would do caliban green, then nuln oil, then bring it up to warpstone glow and just a small edge highlight of moot green.

For the red, I think it might just be mephiston red with like a fire dragon bright edge highlight to make it pop more. If you look at the image, it isn't really marbled, but they've done almost chipping/weathering lines of their highlight into it. They've done something like a thinned/glazed nuln oil on the red I think as well.

I'm interested in what metallics they used for the trim, less certain on that.

I would like to have seen them update the citadel colour application or do some tutorials on these, but they have not really been that useful unfortunately.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Looking at it more, I think they might have used the new Necron paints, Runelord Brass, Canoptek Alloy and Cryptek Armourshade on the metal trim. Will do some experimentation tonight and tomorrow, but I think I can get it to match using those.

Yeah I went with retributer armor on my test model and it doesn’t appear to be a match haha.

Good call on the caliban base for the cloth and chest eagle though. It’s looking right so far. I also got the red shield looking good with a few coats of mephiston red. I think you’re right about the orange scratches.

I tried and got pretty good results on the trim. I did runelord brass - cryptek armourshade gloss - layer sycorax bronze and then final highlight with canoptek alloy.

I think it's not quite the same, but it looks close enough and I like it, so I think I'll just do it this way.

I tried going brighter than caliban on the chest eagle, but it doesn't look right, so I think I'm going to drop that back down.

3m8H7iG.jpg

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Hey Crix,

Red looks like Mephiston Red shaded with either Carroburg Crimson or with some abaddon black added to mephiston Red. Mostly applied in the bottom of the shield. You could also achieve similar effect if you add some naggaroth or xereus purple to the mephiston red. Edge highlights probably were done with Jokaero orange (looks like it).

for green start with caliban green, shade it with a wash from caliban mixed with a dot of black paint or biel-tan green wash - this will create a deep green look. Then use moot green followed by moot with some bleached bone for edge highlights.